• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harry lucas school

I would put the photo earlier than 1965 looking at the haircut. Does anyone remember Miss Cadman she was the deputy head. What a tartar she was.

great...i can see the pic now....thanks for posting it enel....mayfield and dave inston will be most interested in this..they may know who the boy is depending on the year taken...

lyn

great...i can see the pic now....thanks for posting it enel....mayfield and dave inston will be most interested in this..they may know who the boy is depending on the year taken...

lyn

Ahem... As Sir Humphrey would say, "the individual in question is, it may surprise you to learn, one whom your present interlocutor is in the habit of defining by means of the perpendicular pronoun."

The photo was taken by a classmate who was a keen snapper in those days. There was usually an official photographer present on these occasions as well (probably from Lucas) but I cannot recall receiving any photos from that source.

Miss Cadman I recall was our form mistress in the second year. She wasn't too bad I thought. Other teachers I remember - Mr Figures for maths (no really)! Mr Watson of course, Miss Gosmore (English), Mr Thomas, Mr Fleming (woodwork).

Just out of curiosity I took a virtual trip down Farm St a few days ago (Street View) to see if I could pinpoint the School's location. The only point of reference seems to be the Friends Meeting House (Quakers) which was more or less opposite Harry Lucas School. All of the old terraced housing which flanked the school (and the School itself of course) has gone but the Meeting House is still there. It's clearly not in use and boarded up now. Interesting thing is - I'm sure the rusted railing by the kerb outside was there in my day!

Hi Enel .I went to bell heath 3 times 64/64/66 .Live 5 minutes away from it now .All them years ago it seemed the other side of the world.I left in 66 Mr Williams class.What year were you in etc

Hi Enel .I went to bell heath 3 times 64/64/66 .Live 5 minutes away from it now .All them years ago it seemed the other side of the world.I left in 66 Mr Williams class.What year were you in etc

Hi, I think Mr Williams was our Form Master in my first year - 1.1.

I left in '67, fifth year ('stayed on'). Blowed if I can remember the teacher - probably Mr Thomas...

If you left in 67 .You were in the same year as me .I left 66 the fourth year.In my class .Raymond Payne .Trevoe Lawler .John Wade .Barry Moss .David kirby

Posted the picture on friends reunited .Had a email from a david wragg .Asking were i got the picture from etc .As it was him that took thr photo Explained it was posted on this site.The lad in the picture is nigel loader .With Lady Waring and johnnie walker.He has loads of other photos asked him if he will post some etc .Awating his reply

mebmm...that would be great....be brillient if david had a pic of the school too...fingers crossed

lyn

Posted the picture on friends reunited .Had a email from a david wragg .Asking were i got the picture from etc .As it was him that took thr photo Explained it was posted on this site.The lad in the picture is nigel loader .With Lady Waring and johnnie walker.He has loads of other photos asked him if he will post some etc .Awating his reply

Yes, Dave was the photographer. I haven't been in touch with him for a while - he was in Australia last time I contacted him. It'll be interesting to see more of his pics.

hi liz im les full name leslie lloyd they used to call me lloydy i was there from 1960 till 1963 i remmber a black guy he had 6 fingers on one hand

I went to Harry Lucas and have been trying to find pictures of the school for ages. I would appreciate any that you have. Many thanks. Julie

Is this you Keith I seem to remember you said your name was mayfield. Found a site on Google images with a little picture of Harry Lucas (the man) and it has a couple of video clips but nothing of the school. Jools

Hi Enel,

Nice to see someone has mentioned my Dad Gordon Figures, You dont say what sort of a Teacher he was, Others Ive met who were taught by him in his career said he was fair and maintained respect. Unfortunately he past away in 1984 a few years after Johnie Walker. Still intouch with Joy Robinson ( not sure if that was her name when at Harry Lucas) think she taught English. She does have a Teaching group photo awaiting a copy from her. Will post to the site when I have it.

I have just revisited this thread. Is there anyone out there who went there in the 40s when it was Burbury Street School? I started there about 1946 to 1952, Mr Warrener was my last teacher. I can remember lots of faces but not many names. Alan from Wheeler Street, Sheila Parker, Roy Fox, Ann or Mary from the topk of Guildford Street are a few

Is this you Keith I seem to remember you said your name was mayfield. Found a site on Google images with a little picture of Harry Lucas (the man) and it has a couple of video clips but nothing of the school. Jools

Hello Jules - how are you? Great to see you on the forum. Keith

Hi i attended Harry Lucas 1960-1965 remember Mr Figures quite well,he was a strict disciplinarian, from the old school of teaching and would tolerate talking,eating,or cheek, etc. Before starting a lesson all pupils had to be sitting bolt upright and arms crossed, punishment would be administered if rules were broken.Taking all this into acount he was the most respected teacher at the school,and proberly one of the best, my mathmatics certainly improved.(Hello to any old school mates who may read this, Spud)

Hi i have a photo of the Harry Lucas football team cir 1963 with Mr Williams and Mr Watson the team consisted of Albert Fay/Alan Bannister/David Feeney/John Wade/Graham Morrel/Trevor Goody/Bilbur Singh/Graham? Palmer/Paul Simmons/ Francis Lambert/Graham Taylor (me) .The football team also provided the players in the main for the rugby and cricket teams

Graham OO2,
Would it be possible to upload your photo please. My Hubby used to play for Gower St. He remembers a couple of lads you mention and Trevor Goody married his sister. It would be great to see.

Thanks Graham
Smashing Photo.... Francis Lambert hasn,t changed a bit, neither has Trevor really except his fringe is a bit straighter

smashing pic graham...do you have any pics of the actual school as so far one has never been found...

Sorry only school photo of myself and maybe one or two taken on a shool holiday in Dinard France.The football photo was taken at the front of the school off Farm street.

Thanks Graham
Smashing Photo.... Francis Lambert hasn,t changed a bit, neither has Trevor really except his fringe is a bit straighter
I was with Frankie Lambert about 18 months ago at the Harry Lucas reunion. Frankie was a useful rugby player as well Max

I was drinking with Frankie Lambert about a month ago and he hasn't changed a bit............

I remember Mr Williams well, especially his slipper........... let me tell you it was very difficult to sit after that!!! Mabz

Smashing photo .Was in the same class as john wade .He played for higher years as well as ours .Heard he passed away a couple of years ago

Sorry to hear John as passed away he was a good kid.As you say John played for higher year as shown in photo he was a year younger than the rest of the team.

Back