• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Balsall Heath.

Mike

It must have been called that before the name changed to the Catherine O' Donovan, It couldn't have used the name for long as it was still the Beehive the last time I passed by in about 1975.

Phil

Going back to Orchard Rd, here is a photo of the Sherbourne Rd end of it. Also a photo of Sherbourne Rd itself down the bottom end by Longbridge Rd

Phil

BalsallHeathOrchardRd-Sherbournerd1967ad.jpg
BalsallHeathSherbourneRd1968ad.jpg

OTE=elle-jay;358921]Hi there,
Does anyone know where Orchard Terrace, Balsall heath would have been on a modern day map or infact does anyone have any pictures of the terrace please? My father in law was born there back in 1942. Kind thanks[/QUOTE]
Is this where you were asking for
ORCHARD_TERRACE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Elizabeth
I thought there was an answer on the forum, but can't find it. Map is below with the terrace in red. the road going across at the top is Belgrave rd, the one towards the bottom is Sherborne rd, and the road down the right is moseley Rd
Mike

map_c_1913_orchard_terrace.jpg

Mike it is on this thread at post 540, that is why I put the photo of Orchard Rd up.

Phil

A couple of new (old) photos of Balsall Heath Rd, one is taken a little way past Longbridge Rd looking down toward the Wallace public house. The other is taken from somewhat opposite Mary St.

Phil

BalsallHeathBalsallHeathRd21968ad.jpg
BalsallHeathBalsallHeathRd19681ad.jpg

Hi Phill
Thanks for the info, yes The Beehive changed in the 8o's to The Pig and Whistle and a few years back changed to the Catherine O'Donovan. I have no idea why a pub would be changed to this name, quite odd for a pub name. Plus my nan was Catherine O'Donovan and lived down Gooch Street, we are wondering whether the pub name has anything to do with her, dont really know how i would look into this further. A trip to the central library is in order i think. I will post any interesting fingings on here for your perusal.

Hi Sarah

Sorry about the late reply, but its the first time I have seen your post. Are you sure of the name "Pig & Whistle" because the only name that the Catherine O' Donovan had previously as far as I am aware was the Beehive Inn. To be quite honest I am hard put to remember a pub in Birmingham called the Pig & Whistle" would it have been a local nickname?

Phil

Hi Phil I remember the Charles Napier corner of Bissell St Gooch St but don't recall this one, was it further up the St

Hi Elizabeth

The pub is about halfway between Gooch St and Macdonald St. It doesn't stand out at all and if you just glanced down the street you wouldn't notice at all. I don't know if it has been there as long as the street has, but its been there a while.

Phil

Thanks Phil I guess pubs weren't high on my radar, I was fairly young when I left the area, too young for pubs anyway.

Hi, it is lovely to hear from someone who lived in basall heath road. My husband hails from birmingham and lived at 9 back of 253 balsall heath road. I wonder if you know the family. He is now 62 years old. His name is William (Dick) Roberts. His mum and dad's names were Alf and Linda. He is one of 11 children. Please get back to me. thank you. Nicki Roberts

Hi nicki.. I actually lived in sherborne road .but my brother in law.lived in balsall heath rd .william aiken he came from a big family too and the same age also my best friend diane whitehouse .they lived towards the top end of the road .ill ask him if he remembers any of you

Hi Sandra, my husband and his family moved to sherborne road as well. I think he was there in the sixties. Other members of the roberts clan are Alan, Leslie, John Eric, Anthony, Robert, Kathleen, Linda, Sharon and Joan. They went to Mary Street school then on to Hope Street. Leslie married an irish girl called Mary Welch. They also lived in Basall Heath Road.

Hi I lived in sherborne Rd and went to Waverley Grammer in 1958 - 1963... same yrs as you maybe?
Pauline Arnold

Hi, my hubby remembers some arnolds from the area, Richard ,David and Peter, perhaps you are related? Nicki Roberts

Hi, my hubby remembers some arnolds from the area, Richard ,David and Peter, perhaps you are related? Nicki Roberts
Hi Nicki, your hubby would not remember me, I left for Yardley Wood in 1932, I am however
uncle to the lads you mentioned, Peter and David are sons of my brother Joe, they lived
for many years in Longbridge Road, Richard is Paulines brother, my brother Eddy had quite
a large family who are perhaps better remembered in the area, Jennifer, Jane, Pam,Phillip,
cant think of any more, My sister Betty also lived with Joe for some years, Pauline is of
course the who can answer any more questions, bye Uncle Bernard, UB81.

Hi, it is lovely to hear from someone who lived in basall heath road. My husband hails from birmingham and lived at 9 back of 253 balsall heath road. I wonder if you know the family. He is now 62 years old. His name is William (Dick) Roberts. His mum and dad's names were Alf and Linda. He is one of 11 children. Please get back to me. thank you. Nicki Roberts
I look at 11 children and think, oh well ,no TV in those days Bernard

As my Uncle Bernard has posted...Richard Arnold is my brother...Peter and David are my cousins who lived in Longbridge road. They all went to Hope Street School I believe. I'm the eldest of 7 and my Mum was well known in the area through having only one leg! The name Roberts rings a bell...where abouts in Sherborne Road did your husband live? We were near the bottom at 145 two doors down from the Brit pub.
Pauline Arnold as was

As my Uncle Bernard has posted...Richard Arnold is my brother...Peter and David are my cousins who lived in Longbridge road. They all went to Hope Street School I believe. I'm the eldest of 7 and my Mum was well known in the area through having only one leg! The name Roberts rings a bell...where abouts in Sherborne Road did your husband live? We were near the bottom at 145 two doors down from the Brit pub.
Pauline Arnold as was

Was David Arnold about our age Pauline? I seem to remember the name but I can't put a face to it.

Hi Pauline,

My Aunt Floss and my cousins Alf, Renee and David Nicholls used to live at 145 Sherborne Road from 1945 to 1955.

Charlie

Wow how spooky is that!! We had lived there a few years before I realised the brewhouse at bottom of garden was back to back with our old brewhouse in Seymour Terrace in River Street from whence we came! Small world. I had an Aunt Floss too but she lived in Gooch Sreet backing on to the river Rae and she kept geese and ducks, first 'wildlife' we'd ever seen apart from the piglet delivery at the abbattoir at bottom of Sherborne Rd....

harley ...i used to go to comleys coalyard with an old pram to fetch coal it was at the top of athole st.there used to be a small garage /repair shop on the left hand side . anyone got any fotos .???

I remember the garage being built @1960/61 as I lived opposited at No7 Athole Street. Mom had a Ford Popular off the fella who owned the place, IIRC his name was Parker.

Hi Sarah

Sorry about the late reply, but its the first time I have seen your post. Are you sure of the name "Pig & Whistle" because the only name that the Catherine O' Donovan had previously as far as I am aware was the Beehive Inn. To be quite honest I am hard put to remember a pub in Birmingham called the Pig & Whistle" would it have been a local nickname?

Phil

The Pig and Whistle traded for a few years. It was on a lease from M&B and did a roaring food trade lunchtimes from local office workers. I knew it extremely well in 1986; not sure when it changed to the Catherine O' Donovan. The lunchtime pork or beef roast was fabulous.

Hi ...do you remember a girl/woman called elaine eccleston .she was a friend of mine .she used to be very good at ice skating and went in for a lot of competitions....i seem to remember a man called bert who worked at the garage ....

Indeed I do, she lived next door to us and was a few years older than me. I'm pretty sure I've got a picture of her dad somewhere; I think he also had an old Jaguar car at one point and a campervan. Do you still see her?

At the garage the owner was Eddie Parker I think.

Back