• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells

Derek. Isnt it strange how we all train spotted off the wall in Melvina Road (amongst others), went to Locko, but lived in Queens Tower. But you are right. HAPPY DAYS.

Such a great picture...I brightened it up a bit to bring out some of the detail.

Don't seem to be able to upload it any larger than a thumbnail. If I can figure it out I will try again. OK got it now.

Just a jog to highliite the lightened previous post Photo of the Rocket posted by dereklg which is a cracker.

Hi everybody, nice to read the Nechells thread. I lived in trevor st, and the top of our road was nechells park rd. Taroni's scrapyard was at the bottom of the road, and past that was the railway yards. I went to elliot st school (as did my mother) until we were shifted to a new house on Castle Vale in '66' still had to travel by bus (using the plastic bus tokens that I was given each week at school) to travel to elliot st until the new comp was built on the Vale.
All of a sudden I was surrounded by fields and green stuff, it was a bit of a shock to the system I must admit, but didnt really miss the horse cobbles and the choking smog from the chemical works.

Hi ya archierod,

I may be mistaken mate but I believe that green stuff is what we call grass. No, not the stuff that gets smoked but, the type that horses eat.

BazzM, can you tell me why it was called 'trainspotting'. I mean the things were so bloody big and noisy it was impossible to miss them.

arkiearod.i too l went to elliot st i left in 1964.and remember trevor st.i played down taronis yard.and had friends down there.op postans paint.

hi guys
i remember elliot street school for one thing only and that was the wedding of my aunty and uncle whom was
maurd stevens and billy smart from holte rd and aunt muard from white house street living acouple of doors from chinns
and i was not much older than seven and they got married from white house street and had there wedding at aston parish church where i was a choir boy and they had there
reception at elliot street school way back in the early fiftys and i had to sit between a load of brides maids in the wedding car if i remember coorectly i sat on pat henshaws lap in the car along side three other brides maids in the car i was the little page boy dressed up to the nines
and unfortunely i almost ruined the day by being taken short in the car to the school by wetting myself my old mother went barny but aunt maud was very under standing about it
the brides maid dress was not ruined thank god and when we got there we all had to change into other clothes
but at the end of the day it all turned out lovely sadly they both have died in the last couple of years she ended up in an old peoples home on the king standing rd
and had menture did reckonise her husband billy any more and sadly bill died abiut three year ago they at least celebrated there golden anniversary and they featured in th birmingham mail bill died with a broken heart when he lost her when they first met bill was acorporation worker laying steel curb stones along the aston cross and lichfield rd in those days
they was both young and met over a cuppa tea what she was serving to him at the jelfs coffee shop at the corner of rocky lane and aston rd north facing the golden cross
and thats how i will always remember elliot street school but i also hold lots of memorys for aston the place i was born and raised in the slums
we also lived at 5 back ninety six which if any of our early members of our site remember carl chinns storys was valie arnold whom was the previous tennant of that house
we was the next tennant to live in the very same house she moved out off if you never read or seen that story of vals its good reading of her momos
best wishes astonion

arkiearod.i too l went to elliot st i left in 1964.and remember trevor st.i played down taronis yard.and had friends down there.op postans paint.
whats your last name? knew a peter snow (i think)
either way we must have be been at school together

my grandad and grandmom lived at postans house, he was the security guard for the factory

BazzM if I remember correctly, you also collected car numbers, or was it bus numbers?

Are you still a collector of odd things?

The only things I've collected are friendships, lovers and memories.

Hi
My grandparents and aunts lived on Vauxhall road for a number of years. I remember visiting them and going to the park just down the road. I liked looking over to the stables and watching the horses. The must of been the
been the ones that pulled the milk carts around. My grandfathers sister ran the Globe public house up until 1936 her name was Elisa Evans. My family was called Hughes.
Does anyone remember the family
regards Sue

Hello Sue welcome to the forum the Globe was on the corner of Barrack St the park was on the opposite corner of the road if you type "Gosta Green through Duddeston " in the search box (top of the page )there,s a huge thread to read there,s a photo of the globe and plenty of imfo on that area but a lot to read. Dek

While in Nechells the other day I came across the Nechells Park (from Cuckoo Road). It is on Nechells Park Road.

The Nechells Park - former pub in Nechells by ell brown, on Flickr

The Nechells Park - former pub in Nechells by ell brown, on Flickr

While this sign has been whited over you can still read it as The Nechells Park

The Nechells Park - former pub in Nechells - sign by ell brown, on Flickr

Even the pub sign has gone all white

The Nechells Park - former pub in Nechells - pub sign by ell brown, on Flickr

Hi again, not sure what I did then or if my reply was posted. As I was saying I find the comments about Nechells very interesting and wondered if anyone remembered Thomas Granger, son of William and Maria Granger, born in 1909 in Francis Street and later lived at 13 St Clements Road with his wife Flo (Helena Florence Granger nee Moores) and their children.

Regards
Shirley Sura

Hello I am new to this and think I made a mess of my reply so I will try anain because i do not know where it went.

My maternal grandfather Thomas Granger was born in Francis Street in 1909 to William and Maria Granger. He later lived in St Clements Road with his wife Flo and their children. Grandad Thomas was in the fire brigade in the was and one of my great grandmothers had a sweet shop in Nechells. I would love to hear from anyone who knew them

Regards
Shirley Sura

If I went out of the house with bare feet, my mother used to tell me off with "You're like the kids from Great Francis Street" who apparently sat in the gutter without shoes. Since we lived in Sheldon at the time (early 1950s), I knew nothing about Great Francis Street until I was a teenager in Alum Rock in the 1960s. No kids with bare feet, no kids at all. I think I'm still confused.

hi elbrown...just come accross this pic of the nechells park hotel..be nice to compere it with the one that you took...this is dated 1958

lyn

hi ellibrown and lynn
yes that was the nechells park hotel and pub and its been there for years way back in the old days
when nechells was vibrant with residents and most certainly not with any dual roads beleive me
secondly the reason its all painted up it was the pubwas sold off to a painting contractor way back
and prior to that all its life itwas a bad state of affairs from the declineing years of the inhabbittants of the people
it was owned by the owner of the westley court hotel for many years of westlely rd acocks green
that i know personaly he also used to own a lot of pub hotels around the country and including nuneaton
as i haveworked a pub for him many years ago but getting back on track regarding the nechells hotel park
with in the celler the water from the aston ressor runs through the celler in a sort of a fast flowing stream and in the
winter months it rises above the level and the kegs when emty started to float around the celler
tjhis water also used to run along under ground right up to aston cross and any other pub in its path woyyuld have had the same flow of this fast moving water which came to the main brewers of ansells at the aston cross
and getting back on track regarding good old nechells when the area was very active the pub was very busy day and night as it served good old ale as well as the other beers and you could stay there until the last man stood
but back on track again regarding the pub the gaffer whom owned the pub from the westley arms hotel acocks green
made one mistake and that was to take on board a welsh man by the name of taffie
a little stout man whom like is drink never sober and he had not been in brum very long for any body to know of him
but as the owner was desperateto find a manager to run it he took this guyon after a short period the money was disapearing along with stocks and as the area of nechells dwindled with patrons andnot making much money it took a dip in taking but the clutch of the story was mr taffie ran off withall itscontents and the money
back to the rhonda and never was to be seen again so the owner sold it off to the painting contractors
and in time gone bye nerchells was a ghost town and the roads was altered to what you see now
along from the argle street delta works
it is sad to see old nechells go under there was alot of characters whom lived in and aroud nechells and large familys from the days gone bye there was the old news paper seller whom operated on new st brum lived just up long acre from the pub in the old terrace house s i also see that the nut sewing machine family moved from alum rock to long acre along from the nechells park hotel and the aston ressovoir
i have great memories of aston and nechells
best wishes to yoyu all and thanks for the memory astonion

That was a nice ramble through time Astonion, I have not been on here much recently, due to family involvement, but it's always nice to hear what you have to say, you paint a colourful picture. Thanks. Shortie

just found this pic...

the soldiers return and co op...nechells park road...dated 1971

lyn

ellbrown

Mount Pleasant park used to be The Park Mill, mill pool until it was filled in sometime during the last century and renamed Mount Pleasant Recreation Ground. Known to the locals as Spion Cop for reason best known to themselves but I think because of the mound that was in the park.

Phil

Nechells Nechells Park mills 1896.jpgNechells Mount Street park 2[1].jpg

Last edited:
Spion Kop (Spioenkop, dutch translation,) was the hill in the Boer war near Ladysmith.
How us locals came to name the recreation ground I do not know, only a small mound, but to a smallish child it seemed like a mountain,spent many an hour there in the mid forties.
Your photo bought back many memories Phil.

spion cop,i remember them building a castle out of concrete blocks there. some night when it was dark we would play in the park.the keeper would try to get us. (no chance) one night the parks police was waiting for us.phew close but being kids we was quicker and escaped over the cut.i never thought then that i would work for the parks dept.and would be looking after it and the old ladies park,around the corner.at weekends.

Back