• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am being an old romantic, but I remember with affection iconic products of my childhood that have disappeared, like Rinso washing powder, Spangles sweets, the Jubbly, Valor paraffin heaters, Hoovermatic Twin Tubs, kitchen cabinets with a drop down breadboard, Ballowall, Carona pop (delivered to your door),
Kiora orange drink.

I liked Old English Spangles with flavours like liquorice, humbugs, cough drops, butterscotch and pear drops. They had an interesting selling point as shown on this pic "Spangles are double-wrapped to keep all the flavour in and all the dirt out"

Last edited:
Remember the Ascot gas water heater over the sink? The geyser, or geezer as we used to say.

Zam-Buk ointment, the stuff you could put on anything, from piles to pimples. Have you tried it? It sure makes your derriere hot.

Five Boys chocolate, with boys in various states of emotion on the wrapper.Cheering up when they were getting the choc into them.......

A triple layered bar of chocolate -plain, milk and white. Neapolitan?

We had a geezer never knew what it was to be without hot water, l thought we were really posh to have instant hot water......Brenda

Smethwick Striver; Zam-Buk ointment said:
I remember using Zam-Buk on my feet as a kid and having something similar applied to a jelly fish sting in old Yugoslavia. As for piles ....lawd it makes my eyes water just thinking about it.

What about all those lovely old names of car companies now long gone. Hillman, Riley,Sunbeam, Armstrong Siddley, Lanchester. The list goes on. See them in a museum if you are lucky.

My mom used to do the washing in a galvanised tub with a gas ring underneath. In the winter, she used to put it in the back yard, with the gas pipe through the kitchen window. She didn't want the house steamed up, I suppose.

Another galvanised tub - the bosh I think my mom called it - was used with a dolly to work the washing. The dolly looked like a 3 legged stool, with a handle.

Hoovermatic Twin Tubs was mentioned in the first post, It remained me of our first washing machine Mom was so proud of it, it made the wash tub, dolly,and mangle redundant.

Nick

I think Betadine is used as was the old iodine. It is the same principle, in that the iodine is an excellent antiseptic, wich is dissolved into solution, but the solution it is dissolved in is different . Neat alcohol is about as good, but a bit of a waste !
Mike

Last edited:
A meat jack - a brass clockwork device used to turn the meat in front of an open fire. It would click away, turning the turkey, or meat of choice, An early rotisserie!
My grandparents used it.

Don't forget the galvanised baths, small and large. Bath day was a family occasion, from the cleanest down? I can't remember the family order in our house.

the Jubbly
Oh yes, especially when frozen. Once the orange had been sucked out the remaining ice made a great missile ;) The Sheldon Cinema's Saturday matinee became a battleground one time, until the Jubblies were banned. (PS of course I was not involved in the throwing.)

I sure don't miss the horror story that was the galvanised tin bath and trying to heat enough water to put in it. At work my mates and I developed the habit of going to the Turkish baths once a week which was another world for an hour or so. Was embarrased about being slapped around by the masseur at the end...but you sure felt good after the cold water plunge and warm-up in a hot towel. The local ordinaire baths were preferred to a tin tub. They supplied the thin small towels and a tiny bar of soap too. The cubicles were pretty decent too. They had a lock and a safe place to put your clothes. The attendent would go in and run your water from a fawcett that required a key and that was all that you got. On the floor would be a wooden slatted rack to stand on. The worst part about using the local baths was the walk there and back. It was mostly misserable weather it seemed to me at the time. When I come to think of it...we travel in a small trailer now and use the facilitys that are offered at sites and it seems to me that, if these old clean tiled baths were offered, we would consider it a luxury and the site would go down instantly on the preffered list.
Anyway, you can still get Pears soap and it is still the same...hard to make a lather...and hang on to in the shower. Remember the Esso Blue dealer and the comic add on TV...the Esso Ble Doobler. I realy find the old packaging far more attractive and intrigueing than todays swish products. The lovely boxes of Cadburys that I suppose most of you guys can still buy. Ah...memories of Christmas past.

I don't know if you can still buy "Reckitt's Blue?" Also "Cardinal Red polish" for the quarry tiles in the kitchen.

My cousin was talking this morning about mascara in a block with a brush to mix it with, and hair lacquer that came in a sachet or bottle to be put into a squeezy bottle....it was more like toffee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back