• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Famous catch phrases.

Hilda Baker had an act where she appeared with a man dressed as a woman called Cynthia, who never said a word. Hilda would cock her head at Cynthia from time to time and say, "She knows, y'know!" My mother picked this up and used to drove us crackers with it.

My dad whenever he had a joint of meat would always say, "Very tender, very sweet!", which was the catch-phrase of some long-forgotten comedian. Cpl Jones used to come out with it on Dad's Army, but it was much older than that.

Big Gee

The wonderful Hilda Baker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aKFar-UUB8

Hi Frothy,

thanks for the Hilda Baker clip - great! I don't think that particular Cynthia went through the door marked 'Ladies'...

Big Gee

Oh I love Dad's Army.
Everytime I travel down to Dorset and see signs for Warminster, I think Warminster on Sea and Dad's Army and hear Pte Jones 'They don't like it up 'em Mr Mainwaring'

My grandfather was a very dour man, born on the island of Whalsay, Shetland. He looked so like John Laurie and had the character of Pte Frazer that everytime we watched him we called him Grandad. I don't remember if he actually said 'We're doomed, doomed, to burn like faggots in hell' but it's a phrase we use in our family.

'Your name too will go on ze list. What is it? Don't tell him Pike'.

Just like that!! Tommy cooper.
and the dads army sketch where mannering says "don't tell him your name Pike" hilarious.
paul

Charlie Drake with his Ello my darlins. Alf Garnett YOU SILLY MOO. The two Ronnies its goodnight from me and a goodnight from him. And Shaw Taylor telling us to KEEP EM PEELED on police 5

shaw taylor and police 5? can't remember now, thats an old brummie program from the early sixtys mid seventys was it week end tv?
paul

Hello Paul I think it was an little once a week spot on ATV local news ( now central news) it was like a mini crimewatch for the midlands. Shaw Taylor was the presenter every week. i think he passed away some years ago now. It was early to mid 70s. All the best formula t.

"Don't be like that! ..... stop messin' about." Kenneth Williams in Hancock's Half Hour and elsewhere. David

Back