• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Famous catch phrases.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
I was thinking about some of the catch phrases old comedians used to use, can you remember any?. Also musicians etc. Jean.

Brucies have got to be the best. Let's face it we still use many of them even now. Old as he is I love to see him on a Saturday night.
Lynda:)

Lynda. "Nice to sea you to sea you nice". Who said Wakey Wakey?. Was it Arthur Askey or Billy Cotton?. Jean.

Hi guys
another one springs to mind do any of you remember him
little arther askey
his phrase was hello play mated how are you doing
and there was tommy trinder does any body remember is catch phrase

Showing my age here, Jean - it was Billy Cotton who yelled "Wakey! Wakey!" at the start of his Bandshow.

Then there was "Shut that door!" - Larry Grayson. "Aye, aye, that's yer lot!" - Jimmy Wheeler. "I won't take me coat off, I'm not stopping" - Ken Platt.
"No talking at the back there!" - Jimmy Edwards.

My God - I really AM old to remember that lot.

Big Gee

Alan I loved little Arthur and of course Norman Wisdom. What did Norman say?. I know he sang "Don't laugh at me coss I'm a fool". Big Gee I am trying to think of a few more so maybe after half and a good lunch at Water Orton I will come back with some.:):) I am afraid I don't remember all of your's Big Gee. Jean.:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Hi All,

I think Pedrocut wins the prize for the oldest yet with his Robb Wilton and Sandy Powell catchphrases.
I can only come up with "Just like that" by dear old Tommy Cooper.

Old Boy

I remember a Hilda Baker in a programme, used to look at her watch and say "I'll have to get a little hand put on this watch.

Hilda Baker had an act where she appeared with a man dressed as a woman called Cynthia, who never said a word. Hilda would cock her head at Cynthia from time to time and say, "She knows, y'know!" My mother picked this up and used to drove us crackers with it.

My dad whenever he had a joint of meat would always say, "Very tender, very sweet!", which was the catch-phrase of some long-forgotten comedian. Cpl Jones used to come out with it on Dad's Army, but it was much older than that.

Big Gee

Mrs Mopp (ITMA): Can I do you now Sir?
Norman Vaughan: Swinging Dodgy
Norman Wisdom: Mr Grimsdale
Al Read; Right Monkey
Jimmy Edwards : Ello Ello Ello What's going on here ?
Spike Milligan : He's fallen in the water
Peter Sellers (Bluebottle) : You dirty rotten swine
Harold Steptoe : Oh Gawd !
Max Bygraves : That's a good idea son

Eric Morecambe : Get out of that and They can't touch you for it
Del Boy : Loverly Jubbly
Max Bygraves : I want to tell you a story
Tommy Trinder : Aye Aye that's your lot
Arthur Askey : I thank you
Frank Carson : It's the way I tell 'em
George Dixon : Evening All

BigGee I think it was a woman Pat Coombes who was Hilda Baker's stooge - she was a tall lanky woman.

Hi Sylvia,

just checked on Wikipedia and they confirm that Cynthia was almost always played by a man in drag, so maybe Pat Coombes did take the part at some time. I got a vague memory that at least one male 'Cynthia' appeared on This Is Your Life Hilda was the subject.

Big Gee

Dead right sylvia, she was indeed.

Colonel Chinstrap : I don't mind if I do
June Whitfield : Ohh Ron !
Rambling Sid Rumpo : Hello me Dearios
Dick Emery : Hello honkytonk, how are you ? and You are awful but I like you.
Alfred E Newman (Mad Magazine) : What me worry ?

How about a few general programme catch phrases ?

Bernard Bresslaw : I only asked (The Army Game)
Citizen Smith : Power to the people !
The Navy Lark : Left hand down a bit
The Rag Trade : Everybody out !
Golden Shot : Bernie, the bolt
Are you being served : Are you free ?
Blackadder : I've got a cunning plan

A few from the Comedians...

The Germans bombed our chippie.

Settle down now

Attention please!

All the best Peter

I have just wrote three lines and deleted the lot. Will try again later as we have just got back from the Digby. Could have something to do with it. Jean.

Me old flower

I'll be leaving you now sir

Stupid Irriet!

And not forgetting B'hams own comedian...Stone me!

All the best Peter

Ooh Betty, who remembers that? some mothers do av em
Jimmy Tarbuck used to call everybody tatty head
Michael Barrymore "Awrite"

Last edited by a moderator:
Max Miller : ''It's people like you who give me a bad name!'' Or : ''Now there's a funny thing...''

Basil Basil Basil. Cybil in Fawlty Towers.
May your God go with you. Dave Alen.
Martini, shaken not stirred. James Bond.
Dont think you are going out tonight. My wife. (ouch)

Back