• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harborne

Only listed building I can find in Harborne High Street are

The Clock Tower centre Statutory listed Grade II

The Gala Bingo Club Locally listed grade A

I have found a mention from 2003 when it was under the threat from a superloo which I have just posted on the "Temples of Relief" thread but it would be nice to find an official reference (tho I am not sure that these are online as yet)

Last edited by a moderator:
... The registered name of the London General was Compagnie Generale des Omnibus de Londres ...

Strange but true! The Compagnie Générale des Omnibus de Londres (CGOL) was established in Paris on 4 December 1855 as a "société en commandite" (joint stock company), with a capital of £1,000,000, 75% of which was taken up by French investors. The first day of London operations was 7 January 1856. CGOL was modelled on the Compagnie Générale des Omnibus de Paris (CGOP), which had been founded on 1 March 1855 as a legal monopoly. It was intended that CGOL would similarly monopolise London buses, but without Government support this never quite happened: major proprietors such as Elizabeth Birch and Thomas Tilling refused to sell to the new company and were big enough to survive. From the start, CGOL adopted the "local name" London Omnibus Co, but as a company of this name already existed, it was soon changed to London General Omnibus Co.

On 16 November 1858 London General Omnibus Co Ltd (LGOC) was established as a limited liability company with a capital of £700,000. On 1 January 1859, LGOC took over CGOL by exchange of shares. Though LGOC was now a fully English company, annual reports and accounts were published in French until 1911, in deference to the large contingent of French shareholders. As late as 1881, the newly established London Road Car Co Ltd displayed the Union Flag on its buses and adopted the "Union Jack" fleetname, to prove it was "more English" than its rival LGOC.

[Please forgive the Thylacine, who was unfortunately born with the "off thread" gene! ;) But Lloyd pointed out that LGOC buses came very close to Harborne in 1926. Midland Red also hired some veteran LGOC double deckers during World War 2. Might they have been seen in Harborne, Lloyd?]

Midland Red have not run services in Harborne since October 1914 when all services within the city boundary were sold to Birmingham Corporation. Midland Red continued to run services from Birmingham to places outside the city boundary but had to charge higher fares within the city to protect the Corporation services.

For a time Midland Red West (Reddibus) post privatisation did run a service from Harborne to Redditch but although I saw the bus stop for this service by Harborne Baths, I don't think I ever saw a bus in service.

The post-privatisation Midland Red West did operate a few Centro contract journeys on routes 21/22 which passed through Harborne, mostly late night stuff, taking the drunks home sort of thing.

The WW2 hirings of London Passenger Transport Board buses (actually temporary transfers of vehicles under the direction of the Ministry of War Transport during 1941-4) were nine early '30s AEC Regent petrol engined double deckers (LPTB 'ST' class) that had started life with the Thomas Tilling company.
They ran mostly in the Birmingham / black country area (sorry not Harborne), although two of them were seconded to Stratford Blue for a while. They remained in London Transport livery whilst on loan, and returned to work in London when their home town's needs were more pressing.

Co-incidentally, the surviving Birmingham Corporation AEC Regent OV 4486 was one of thirty loaned to London at the start of the war for a similar reason!

This was not in Harborne but on the road from Harborne to Bearwood, can any one name a school?I cannot remember the name of the school but it was down from the Bear Hotel towards Harborne on the left hand side I think it was a sort of "High School for Girls" I went out with a girl from there called Jane Mitchell my one and only "Posh totty" when i was about 15. Great days though.
paul

Lordswood Boys was a Technical School whereas Lordswood Girls was a Grammar Technical School. Although on the same campus the two schools are still separate.

I went with a girl from Lordswood onetime and she looked an awful lot like the middle one you pictured Lloyd, thank you - though not sure she was posh, had a disturbing dark side, and was definitely dotty if not totty! First I've heard of it being posh or a Grammar school - I literally live & learn...

hello Liz hope you and yours all well,my beloved youngest left Friday for Afganhistan his second tour with the para's. I do beleive you are right about the school I wonder where the beautiful Jane is now? thanks for that.
regards
Paul
Hello Paul hope your well, i will keep your son in my prayers, Lordswood was known as a posh school,and it was a grammar school
until they done away with them,

Just found a few of the Francis Frith photos of Harborne at https://www.francisfrith.com/harborne/photos/ in the 50s/60s. One of the Swimming Baths, particularly like the ones of the Bell (surely rare to have a pub on consecrated ground - I believe only example but I may be wrong) & Green Man, always faves, and the poor old Duke of York (sadly demised).

Just been wondering around the treasures of https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/discoverychannel/ (this link no longer active, though prints will still be in archives) and came across these two lovely prints of St Peter's (on Old Church Road) in the 1830s with the triple gabled Vicarage in the grounds (on Vicarage Rd) - The Bell must occupy the two remaining gables I think https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52...d=C6hZ_LpnLNM9z2rwk41P9w&cbp=12,94.69,,0,3.68
(Photos replacement, but almost certainly same as originals)

Attachments

• The%20Bell%20-%20St%20Peter%20Parsonage%201833.jpg
    The%20Bell%20-%20St%20Peter%20Parsonage%201833.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 24
  • The%20Bell%20-%20St%20Peter%20Parsonage2%201833%20buckley.jpg
    The%20Bell%20-%20St%20Peter%20Parsonage2%201833%20buckley.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 25
The Bell Inn and St Peter's vicarage were two separate buildings on either side of the drive leading up to the main entrance of the church,at least they were in the 1940's. Prior to taking the 11-plus an overflow class of 10-11 year olds (including me)was taught in a room at the vicarage. That vicarage has been knocked down,by the look of the Google picture and replaced with a single storey building. An excellent church school.....

Please can someone help? We moved to Harborne in 1944 when our house in S. London was destroyed in the war, and I started school there in 1946. Four years later we went back to Surrey, but Harborne will always be a special place for me. My memories are hazy, and it was wonderful to be reminded of once-familiar streets and places in your thread. Queens Park was close to where we lived, at the bottom of Fellows Lane, and I spent many happy hours on the great old roundabout, the swings and the slide. I loved my old school, Newport House, and I wonder if anyone can tell me more about it? I seem to remember that it was an old house rather than a purpose-built school, with a real garden as a playground, and I think it must have been near the top of Fellows Lane as my father used to walk me there in the mornings on his way to catch a bus to work in the city. The headmistress was Mrs. Hands, and I think it was next to the Blind Institute where our school uniform cardigans were made. My best friend lived above the drapers shop in Northfield Road (I see it's now a convenience store!). We are still in touch - used to stay with each other in the school holidays, so I didn't leave Harborne altogether until she got married and moved away. Now I live in Australia... I am quite new to forums and really don't know what I am doing, but I would love to talk to people about Harborne, so would be very grateful if someone could give me some help.

Hi Geelong - Well you have successfully made your first post on this forum - welcome! Glad this thread sparked some memories for you, I can't help with the school you mention but am sure someone on the forum will share something.

Geelong, Welcome to the forum. You seem to have coped well in the end so carry on the good work.
St Peter's except for the tower was rebuilt in 1874/5 so the church in the picture is not the present church.

I hope you don’t mind me worrying you again. I was disappointed that no-one seems to know anything about my old school, Newport House. Kind people on the ‘Schools’ and ‘Hands’ threads have worked out that it was in operation from about 1935 to 1952 at 21 Court Oak Rd. The Google street view shows a block of flats where it once was. I wonder if anyone remembers these being built? I am sad that the school has gone, and also sad to read about the Harborne Baths being demolished. I loved going there once a week with the school (except when they were closed because of the ‘infantile paralysis’ epidemic). Thanks for the great photos, inside and out. I remember those cubicles all round the edge, though I don’t think they were as brightly painted in my day. I have never seen individual change cubicles at a pool in Australia – do they still have them at other places? Elizabeth

I don't always have much success in posting street views on this forum but I shall try with this one

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...oid=O-fuxmNOB0hAeulrhUVaPA&cbp=12,336.36,,0,5

Your will see that the site of 21 Court Oak Road is now occupied by a block of c1960s flats.

Don't worry about Harborne Baths, they were time expired anyway and the new baths and gym now being built will be vastly supperior. I know, I have seen the plans as I chaired a public meeting on the subject earlie this year.

My brother was born at Lordswood Hospital.
Does anyone know, please, if a photo exists of the place?

Thank you so much for that, David. Yes, the flats do look like the 1960’s. The old school looked like the houses on each side – lovely red brick which I always remember from Harborne. So many buildings from my past have disappeared, but I’m sure the new Leisure Centre will be great. Do hope someone will post a photo when it’s finished.

The sweetshop you refer to was owned by the Tennant family and it was a very busy place; also the sweet shop opposite the swimming baths was I think called Baughan's. There was another one half way down the High Street owned by Miss Skinner and my Dad used to take me there every Sat morning when I was young. I was born in 1939 ! I am finding this thread about Harborne quite incredible; there are so many memories for me.

KINS

doe's anyone remember the name of the barbers opposite the duke of york on thr road which went down to the royalty, I think it was painted red.

Hi, does anyone remember the cottages that where on North road in harborne they were demolished to make way for new houses?? iv search for pictures of these cottages but cant find any at all i would love someone to come up with any info/pictures iof these it`s a vague memory of thse cottages of mine

The sweetshop you refer to was owned by the Tennant family and it was a very busy place; also the sweet shop opposite the swimming baths was I think called Baughan's. There was another one half way down the High Street owned by Miss Skinner and my Dad used to take me there every Sat morning when I was young. I was born in 1939 ! I am finding this thread about Harborne quite incredible; there are so many memories for me.

KINS
Hi, i remeber a second hand shop on the corner of where the washereta is, i think the woman in there had a glass eye or something to do with her eyes, opposite was a small shop who sold cigeretes out the packets!!!i in the opposite direction comming twards the high street was a shop selling second hand t.v`s it was run by my mates dad

hi, does anyone remeber the old row off terraced houses next to the swimmg baths? they had outside loos? would love a picture or two of these

Hi Paul you left there just before i went to live there,I am more than happy to chat about Birmingham,no need for thanks, the
forum is great like you say you see something which brings back another memory and the great thing lots of people to share
them with,liz

Hi yes the prefabs on the left hand site as u go down metchley lane was demolished years ago, i think they where used for the old folk, just before the prefabs on same side used to be fields where we went to do our school games lol i wish i could go back to them times ppl seemed to be happier in them days

Hi, Paul and lizz. do you remember the big old house as you are walking up to the high street from clarence road and up st johns road the house was on the right hand side right by the car park?? also do you remeber as you carryon walking up North road there was a small shop on the corner of clarence road,and if you carried on walking up North road there was another small shop who sold knitting needles etc

Hi, at the top of Gorden Road was a small mini market run by the driscoll family there was also a locksmiths and grocery shop there years back opposite was chad valley factory and next to that was the fire station also at the top of Gorden road was a butchers , at the bottom of Gorden road on the corner of North road was a grocers run by Bob next to that was a butchers run by Fred Thomas who had two daughters Jackie and Vicky thomas ,they lived just past the bridge in Parkhill Road, the police station was originaly up by the royalty but was moved to rose road.

Back