• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheep st, Gem st and Buck st.

Does any one remember the Crown & Anchor Pub in Sheep Street at the junction with Lawrence Street Gosta Green. It was known as "THe Bunch"

Hi roger, the crown & anchor pub was on the corner of ryder st & gem st & was nicknamed the bunch ,i used to fetch my dad a pint & stick , it used to fill a pop bottle , & was served from the outdoor,i hope this helps you, it would be the early 50's .terry

Hi can anyone help trying to get info on family members margaret matilda francis & edith francis I think there were also George fredrick francis.they lived at 42 sheep street. May Baker(nee Francis) and fredrick Baker also 42 house 7 court 7 sheep st. Does any one know what the nearest catholic church would have been? in the 40's did any of the house get knocked down as were looking at electrol roll and can't find 42 on there.were trying to find if there were anyone called baker there in the mid or late 40,s if anyone could help thanks:)

Sorry Liz. I put it correctly but didn't realise (nor did you) . It was sheepcote St not sheep St. the search engine picked it up and i didn't concentrate enough It is a bit of a coincidence though having an almost identically named couple in a simialrly named road.
Mike

I remember the clinic i used to have sunray treatment because i was thin
i also had to have blue stuff on my leg for a ringworm

Hi can anyone help trying to get info on family members margaret matilda francis & edith francis I think there were also George fredrick francis.they lived at 42 sheep street. May Baker(nee Francis) and fredrick Baker also 42 house 7 court 7 sheep st. Does any one know what the nearest catholic church would have been? in the 40's did any of the house get knocked down as were looking at electrol roll and can't find 42 on there.were trying to find if there were anyone called baker there in the mid or late 40,s if anyone could help thanks:)

My family were from this area and had connections with St Michael's catholic church near Carrs Lane in town which is still there.

you wouldn't know if that church is the nearest to sheep st, as i'm looking for the nearest church to see if there are any baptisms of family members that lived in sheep st and most of the children were born while being at sheep st. Many thanks :)

I remember the clinic in Sheep St. as I was very small I used to have to go there for exercises- waste of time.

Do I remember right - I am sure I used to go jiving at Kyrle Hallm there was nearly always trouble there - good job my mom never knew I went there.

My Great Great nan and grandad lived in Sheep street (it was Sheep street on the Ansestory census site). they were RICHARD MARCH born in 1847 and AMERLIA CARTER born in 1848. They lived at number 23. Any old photos or links to family on this forum???

Thanks if I know the nearest churches I can start looking in parish records :)

My mothers birth certificate just says St Marys Ward. I think she was born in roughly the same area, possibly Lawrence St. I Have never found an address nor a baptism, but I think likely churches would have been St Marys and Lawrence St Chapel.

Anyone come across a Baughan family round there in about 1912 ?

Buck street;
obvious by bradford,s plan of birmingham of 1750,
this short street was thrust from history, by building of aston university ,
it is associatedwit the nearby doe street and appears to be a play
unpon the names for male and female deers
extract taken from carl chinns book , streets of brum . Part one
astonian ;;;

Could anyone please tell me how the name Gem Street came about, was it named after a person, if so do you know who. Thankyou in advance

According to Carl Chinn Gem St remembers the Gem family.William Howard Gem was a well known birmingham Solicitor and clerk to the magistrates. thomas Harry Gem was also a solicitor, took over as magistrates clerk when his father died, became clerk to Kings heath and Balsall Heath petty sessions and was partia;;y responsible for inventing lawn tennis .
Mike

My dad used to say i should go to gem street school as a kid,was there a school in the area.If so what type was it? my old man said it was a special needs school,was he right?

Loisand i notice as well as researching the name Gem as in Gem st you are looking for Loxton is that as in Loxton st.

hi brummie60, I do believe there was a Industrial School in the area of Gem Street, that is only what I have gleamed from surfing the net.
Hi Robert, my Loxton's come from Gloucester then emigrated to Australia. The Gem family originated from Worcestershire, well that's as far back as I have gone at the moment, passing through Rowington on there way to Birmingham, they were a very wealthy family, but alas no pot of gold for hubby, his family married into the Gem family. What is so fascinating is not only the properties that the family owned, must you may have noticed from some of my previous threads I love mills, and one of the Gem family is supposed to have owned/ran Rowington windmill, which is very exciting for me, this is still being checked out, but needless to say my love for mills has paid of, not only in my hubbys side of the family but my own to.....it's all in the genes!!!

My dad used to say i should go to gem street school as a kid,was there a school in the area.If so what type was it? my old man said it was a special needs school,was he right?
there wre 3 schools in Gem Street. Bishop Ryder infant and juniors, s the school for deaf children,
and a school for children with special needs. hope this helps.

When I attended Birmingham Art College back in the late 1960s the College had a school of Printing in Gem Street. From memory, not very good these days(!), this was housed in a building which had been built as a children's school, home or hospital back in the days of the Crimean War. I recall a couple of realyy good old pubs in the street and Tony's cafe round the corner in Aston Street which boasted a couple of stuffed baby alligators in the window!! Great tea and big chunks of bread pudding...simple tastes, happy days.

Back