• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheep st, Gem st and Buck st.

robert

master brummie
Sheep st, Gem st and Buck st, does any one have any photos or information ie when they were demolished.       

Thanks Robert.

Dog & Duck in Sheep Street

My g.g. grandad had a pub called the Dog & Duck in Sheep Street in 1861, if  anyone has any photos of this pub, I would be very grateful. Sheep Street is still shown on the A-Z but is part of the Aston Univ. campus.

Sylvia,
I've found a photo of The Dog & Duck in Holloway Head circa 1868. Not sure if this is the pub you are referring to - if it is I will scan and send off to you. Tried to pm you, but apparently you can't receive messages due to a "maximum limit".
Cheers,
Grace

Grace, thanks for posting the photo of the Dog & Duck, Holloway Head, it is a lovely old photo. My g.g.grandad's pub was in Sheep Street, off Woodcock Street, Gosta Green. Tried to pm, got the message your box was at maximum limit too. Rod what is the limit?

I will clear some of my messages and see what happens.

:angel: I'd say Crommies was the latest of the two , as there are no buildings visible next to the first one on it's right hand side.

Chris :angel:

Cromwell you sure have been a busy man, did you enjoy your visit to the library? Once again you have produced some brilliant maps etc. Well done, you see you can't go to Tavistock, WE THE FORUM MEMBERS NEED YOUR UNDIVED ATTENTION HERE IN BIRMINGHAM, only jossing Cromwell!!!!!
:flower: :cat:

Loisand.
I will be house hunting next week so dont say " Where is Cromwell" mark my words "I will be back"

Cromwell happy house hunting, i loved the pics of the Dog and Duuck, i reeley love the Dog and Duck, but please can we go back to the origanal thread. GEM st SHEEP st and what ever.P S I hope you dont mean Tavistock rd in Northfield.

Robert it seems that the Dog and Duck in Gem st or Sheep st was a dead duck just wanted to keep the thread going but it will be split and sink into the unknown, would not dream of going to Northfield

Dog & Duck, Sheep Street, Gosta Green

BobS, my g.g.grandad John Raybould was the landlord at The Dog & Duck at least from 1855 until 1861, later around 1867 he was the landlord of The Holte Arms, part of the Holte Brewery, corner of Lister Street/Holte Street, now called The Gosta Green.

sheep street clinic

hi does anyone remember the sheep st clinic i had sunray treament there mary

Sheep Street, Aston

:) I have only just joined the Webring... so here goes.

My father sold 59, 60 and 61 Sheep Street on 12 March 1971... this was required for the Gosta Green Redevelopment Area. Now Aston University.

In a letter dated November 1969 the Corporation were going to "erect an additonal Raking Shore towards the front of the boundary wall, which should prevent movement. Demolish a further portion of the front wall of the adjoining demolished cottage to reduce wind resistance." .....etc.

My Great Grandfather purchased 59/61 Sheep Street in 1915 for £ 560 it was then called "Centaur Tool Works" but my families business was N.Budd & Son, Tent and Marquee Hire.

I have copied the above from the original letters.

Georgie Garrett

Last edited:
Hi Folks
has any one please got any photos / old street maps of the gosta green area of the city...many thanks ASTONB4

Back