• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frankfort street, Hockley

Any one remember the Maidens or Bents who lived at 6/66 Frankfort Street ?

Hi Avalon, I don't know those people, but as you may have read on other pages in this forum, my family--Ron and Sylvia Fellows, lived at 55 Frankfort street in the mid 60's
A friend of my parents, a Jack Kirby had a scrap business at 86 Frankfort street.
Welcome to the site, by the way.:)

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Does anyone have any pictures of Frankfort street they can share? I lived at 55 Frankfort street as a lad in the early 1960's. Any pictures would really help bring back some cherished memories.

Last edited:
my pleasure leonard...i am sure i have an older pic somewhere..i will try and find it out...i do try to keep my pics in some semblance of order but sometimes it turns into organised chaos...:D:D:D

ps there is a pic of the house that jack built on the forum..

im am still searching for the older pic of frankfort st..meanwhile these are what i took the other day....

frankfort st from summer lane

pict 2

these houses are now ready for demolision...:(near to the corner of hospital st....you have to go though the little archway to what i would describe as a courtyard....

in recent years they have had new roofs and chimneys so dont be deceived..they are older than they look...i well remember as a youngster collected our dads window money on a friday night from here....

pict 3

i took this from the courtyard looking through the archway...the reason i wanted this shot is somewhere i have a pic taken from there showing children playing..the building you see in the forground was not there and showed the old houses....i must find it...

Last edited:
Thanks so much, That shot of Frankfort St looking down from Summer Lane, where the white van is at the end used to be a bookies in the time of the bookies runners, and where the grass starts was my nan's shop in Gt Russell St demolished 1965

hi leonard glad you like the pics....my dad used to be a bookies runner as a young lad...round villa st...farm st..nursery road...well st...bsw..just about all over i think:D:D

i still cant find that old pic i spoke of earlier in the thread...i am most annoyed with myself as i am now thinking that i saw it in a book and must have forgotton to take a pic of it...and as i plough though so many books i dont know which one it was:rolleyes::rolleyes:

hopefully it will come to light eventually

lyn

I know its a long time as I am new to the site, but the pub on the corner of Frankfort St and Gt Russell St was "the Justice" managed for years by Jack and Nan Stanley.

leonard..type in gt russell street in the search box top right hand side...

go to page 2 then scroll to post num 12...i have posted a sheet of pubs and the jusice is one of them...

get back to me if you have any probs...

lyn:)

Leonard

Thanks for the information about The Justice Pub, it confirms what Mike said on the Gt Russell Street thread.

Judy

just come accross a 1950 pic of jacksons garage that was in frankfort st... will scan and post it later on....

hope this will be of use to some of you...frankfort st pics are not easy to find so i am chuffed with this one... a yard in frankfort st 1930s

Hey Astoness,
What a great picture you have posted! You are right, they are so very rare!
How in the world did you find this one?

Thanks so much for taking the time to look for it, and for letting me know about it

All the best to you, lyn
Kevin

hi kev..i got it out of this months brummagem mag...by the way re jacksons garage...ive just heard today that they have taken over the unity club in summer hill street..not sure as yet what they intend to do it...i am planning a trip to the central library soon so i will go through their index cards and see if they have any of frankfort st...ive a list as long as yer arm of streets and road to look for...:rolleyes:

lyn

Hi Kev I used to be your next door neighbour, you actually lived at no. 55 frankfort st. The factory facing where we lived was indeed john e. mapplebecks, my uncle jimmy lyndon worked there and still maaged to be late occaisionally.The pub on the corner of frankfort street and hospital was the dolphin the none one the cnr. of frankfort & russell was the justice . thera was also one on the cnr. frankfort and summer lane was I think the birmingham arms .i remember your parents am glad to hear they're ok

Iremember both families. they lived at the back of us uo the big yard

here you go gill the dophin...can you tell me is that hospital st to the left of the pic...

lyn

No , Hospital Street is to the right, to the left is the continuation of frankfort st. up to great russell st.

Gil this is fantastic News. Were you to the right or left when walking out the door? I have so many questions. I will write more when I get back to my computer in the morning (using iPhone).what are the odds of this? Made my night!

Back