• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho College

Jayell

master brummie
Soho College

Soho College.jpg
Just found this photo that was taken a few years ago I think. Soho College had now become Amar House and is looking worse for wear! The garage at the right hand side was the entrance where we used to go in to the school.

Last edited:
Soho College:) takes me back to the 50's,I was just a litttle nipper then.
Thanks for posting.

hi jayell
My two cousins went to The Soho Collage in the 50's Pam and Lynn Manton, they lived in Vicarage Road Handsworth.
regards
paul

Hi Paul

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner but I have been away for a week. I don't recall your two cousins, but I lived just round the corner from them in Soho Avenue. I had several friends in Vicarage Road when I was young. (Two best friends were Isabel Instone and Ann Scragg). I left Soho College in 1954 so may have been older than Pam and Lynn. We left Handsworth in 1956.

I will ask my sister if she remembers Pam and Lynn when I see her next week. She also went to Soho College and went there until about 1957 I think.

Best wishes
Judy

hi judy
Did you know anthony grimshaw or carol veasey, they lived in and around vicarage road, and did you watch the steam trains below the cutting behind vicarage rd we spent hours doing that,
regards
paul stacey

Hello Paul

No I couldn't see any steam trains from where I lived in Soho Avenue. I didn't know you could see them from Vicarage Road, but I suppose you mean the track that ran behind Factory Road - could you see them from where you lived?

I asked my sister about Pam and Lynn Manton but she didn't know the names. She thinks they would be younger than us, and even if she was at Soho College at the same time they would be in lower classes.

The name Carol Veasey rings a bell somewhere in the back of my mind but I can't just place her. Will get back on that one.

Judy

hi judy
Pam was born in 1945 and Lynn in `1947 yes we spent ages watching the steam trains and when I stayed with my nan you could hear the shunting and steam chugging all night long. I have some marvarlous memorys of the fifty's and when very young would travel from Bartley Green to Handsworth with a luggage label asking the conductor's to put me on the light blue bus( West Brom/Hockley,) at Snow Hill and drop me off at the church and I would be around 6 yrs old could you immagine it to day.
regards
Paul

Paul, what was your Nan's name - just in case I remember it? I remember a family called Murphy who used to live on the corner of Soho Avenue/Vicarage Road almost opposite the church - do you remember them. I also think there was a friend of my dad's with the surname of Smeeton who lived in Vicarage Road.

Pam and Lynn would have been younger than my sister and me.

Judy

hi jayell
My Nan's name was Lilly Adam, she was Irish very pronounced they lived at 12a with my uncle Horace Manton and my auntie "Kath" Kathleen Manton, my nan worked for a while at the cinema in Lozells Road, uncle Horace had a BSA motor bike and was in the Handsworth ARP as a dispatch rider, next door were the Veasy's my nan bought the house in the twenty's my mom lived there also Isabella (bella) Adam, and then became Stacey in 1942.
regards
paul

Sorry Paul, but your Nan's name doesn't ring any bells with me. I was nearly 17 when we left Soho Avenue, so it is a while ago!

In case there is anyone on this photo that you might recognise, here is a picture of the VE Day party in Vicarage Avenue. Let me know if you recognise anyone, but you were probably too young. Your Nan, uncle and auntie might be on it though. I am the little girl with the dark coat and headband on sitting in the first row of chairs, 6th from right.

Judy

Lovely photo Judy and I always wanted a headband like Patty's and yours but had to put up with the bow of ribbon on top. Jean.

hi jayell
How can I thank you ,on the left with round glasses is my nan,behind her to her right is my auntie kath next to her is uncle horace. at the back next to the tall man in glasses is my mom and beside her is I think jean vesey.
thank you very much.
regards
paul

Fantastic Paul. Is your Nan the lady seated with glasses on? If it is I remember her well, but I didn't recognise her name - may not have known it. I remember seeing her a lot and speaking to her. I also remember your Auntie Kath. Was your Mom the lady standing next to the man with the accordion?

Judy

Paul, the man and woman seated in front of your Nan on the left hand side of the picture were Mr & Mrs Murphy who lived near me in Soho Avenue. Their children were seated along from them on the pavement. I seem to remember them being Irish as well.

Judy

hi jayell
I don't remember Mr&Mrs Murphy but you look great, fantastic how these old photo's bring the dead alive again so great to see them all again.
regards
paul

hi jayell
yes its my nan and my mom is the one with dark hair and a cap on rhs of tall man with glass's on the back row it could be her waaf hat the face behind her is I think jean.
regards
paul

Hi Paul, I am so pleased that you were able to find some family members on this photo. I know the faces of so many of the people in the picture very well, but can't put a name to them after all these years. I would have seen most of them regularly during the week. Your Mom also looks very familiar to me. Next to your Nan is a toddler sitting on a young woman's knee. This is my sister who would have been about 3/4 at the time.

Judy

hi judy
What a small world it really is I have sent a copy to pam and aunte kath,(91) my two sons, nan passed away in 1983, uncle horace in 1993, and my mom in 2003 all the 3's this photo keeps them alive in our minds, my dear dad was in an American military hospital in Naples at this time he passed in 1998. Thanks again judy
regards
paul

hello judy (jayell)

Regarding the photo you so kindly sent me the girl on your right with a small girl on her lap is carol vesey and the small one is my cousin pam just thought you would like to know
regards
paul

Hi Paul

Thanks so much for the update! It is good to know the names of those people in the photo. Although many of the faces are familiar to me, I can't remember many of the names. Carol Vesey rings a bell, but I don't remember Pam. Jean Vesey looks very familiar to me as well - was she Carol's Mom?

Judy

hi judy
been away and hav'nt had time to reply yes she was carols mum.
if you can get a copy of Birmingham at war(1970's) Vol 1, page 48, photo 77, third in on the front row is uncle horace as a ARP dispatch rider. and all Handsworth ARP members.
regards paul

Pam, here is a photo a Soho College Speech Day (possibly). I don't know the date but from looking at me I would say it was about 1951 I am standing second on the left in the photo between the two boys. I always felt sorry for the boys at the school as there was only 4 of them in amongst all those girls. You won't be in the photo as you would have been too young. The girl on the left of the front row next to the two boys was called Diane but I don't remember her surname. The teacher at the back was Mrs Williams, whose daughter Margaret was also at the school. The photo was taken by Worrall's Photographic of Great Barr. There was a girl at the school called Jennifer Worrall, so it might have been her father who took the photo.

Judy

Hi Judy,
Thanks for the photo. From what I remember, it was a trial letting boys into the school, but it didn't last long because they caused trouble. Miss Courbet was trying to make ladies of us and didn't think this was possible with boys around!!!!!!!!!! Where was the photo taken? I remember speech days being held at the Midlands Institute in Corporation Street. PAM

PS Which house were you in?
I was in Joan of Arc and my sister Lynda, 3 years younger tham me, was in Cavell, so there was quite a lot of discussion in our house as to which one was the best. Joan of Arc of course, because I was the oldest! PAM

Hi Pam - I was in Cavell House with the blue sash. I'm not sure where that particular photo was taken, but remember the Speech Days at the Central Hall in Corporation Street. This photo isn't taken there. I am waiting for my sister to contact me with some names and then I will get back to you.

Back