• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Soho College

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone on here might remember my mother. Her name was Ann Croot and she was born in 1938 and went to Soho College. Thank you.

I wish I could help but the name is not familiar to me, although I might have known your mother by sight as we would both have been at Soho College at the same time. Ann would have been in the year above me. Judy

Welcome Dynamike!

I am sure you will get someone to help you! Enjoy the Forum!
Apologies, would you be able to tell me how to add a photo to a message please? I can see on this reply to you there is the option to "Attach files" but this was not on the message I was sending back to Judy. Sorry, not the best with I.T!! thanks.

For Dynamike!

Here's the middle section of a panoramic school photo taken in 1949 of Soho College. I am sitting second from left cross legged in front of the teachers and head girl!

Attachments

• Soho College 1949 middle.jpg
    Soho College 1949 middle.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 19
Pam, here is a photo a Soho College Speech Day (possibly). I don't know the date but from looking at me I would say it was about 1951 I am standing second on the left in the photo between the two boys. I always felt sorry for the boys at the school as there was only 4 of them in amongst all those girls. You won't be in the photo as you would have been too young. The girl on the left of the front row next to the two boys was called Diane but I don't remember her surname. The teacher at the back was Mrs Williams, whose daughter Margaret was also at the school. The photo was taken by Worrall's Photographic of Great Barr. There was a girl at the school called Jennifer Worrall, so it might have been her father who took the photo.

Judy
How can I access the photos? I’d like to see if the Diane mentioned is me. I can only remember one not being taught at the school and that was Keith Mann.

Some years ago the forum was hacked and in restoring it all the images were lost. Many have now been replaced, but not this one. Possibly Jayell will see your request, and if she still has the photo, will replace it

Not me I’m afraid. I think I may have been a little later. My best friends were Lynn McKeown and Vivienne Bichenor. I’m sure,Viv is on the forum. I have such happy memories of the school. I have a photo somewhere off me presenting flowers to an honoured guest at The Central Hall and I believe Rhona Blanchflower is standing with me. I’ll try to find it and share with the group. Thanks for your reply.

Hi Judy, it's me again. You are right it was Central Hall. I don't know where I got Midlands Institute from......
I've just been reading through your conversations with Paul and notice you mention your friend Ann Scragg. I was friends with her younger sister Susan. I have mentioned this in a previous post, but couldn't remember Ann's name.
Paul got a few things wrong bless him. JOCELYN Vesey was the name of the girl I was sitting with, I think she was about 16. I was born in 1943 and Lynda in 1946. My mom is 88. The railway sidings were I think the Soho Sidings. If you remember, Vicarage Road was high up. From our back gardens there was a piece of land which sloped down to the backs of the houses in South Road. We called this "the bank" where we played most of the time. Standing in our back garden we could see over the lower streets to the railway.
Pam
As I remember, we used The Midlands Institute one year for a speech day so you are not entirely wrong.

Not me I’m afraid. I think I may have been a little later. My best friends were Lynn McKeown and Vivienne Bichenor. I’m sure,Viv is on the forum. I have such happy memories of the school. I have a phto somewhere off me presenting flowers to an honoured guest at The Central Hall and I believe Rhona Blanchflower is standing with me. I’ll try to find it and share with the group. Thanks for your reply.

I remember Rhona Blanchflower. Her father was a footballer called Danny Blanchflower. The other names don't ring bells with me. Unless the Vivienne you mention lived in Terrace Road and moved to the USA.

Judy

I remember Rhona Blanchflower. Her father was a footballer called Danny Blanchflower. The other names don't ring bells with me. Unless the Vivienne you mention lived in Terrace Road and moved to the USA.

Judy
It was Rhona’s uncle who was the footballer. I used to go to her house quite a bit. Vivienne did move to USA. Oklahoma I believe. I’m afraid we lost touch. Lynn McKeown and I stayed close for some years until men got in the way and when I married, we moved out to near Stratford on Avon. I moved to Greenmore College when the school closed. I was so sad. We were bussed to school on I thing Greenways Coaches. We always passed Winson Green Prison and it always made me shudder And that expensive uniform!! It cost £13.00 From Horn Brothers. I think that was a weeks wages for my poor long suffering Dad.

Soho College, my old school.My best friend was carol fieldsend. I had a crush on christopher taylor.I remember Mrs Murphy
the siameese cat, susan gunn who got killed while on holiday in the isle of mann/so very smart!
Yet i have forgotten so much/Soho for Ever :)
Think I left around 1954/1955?

Back