• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Regent Parade

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all.. a friend sent me this lovely pic of the jewellery quarter dated 1939...but no location to it...as soon as saw it hylton st sprang to mind as it goes round in a little square from vyse st...it could of course be anywhere....

astoness

Hi Lyn

Its Tenby Street North, Hockley. It ran from Carver St to Warstone Lane

Phil

thanks for that phil...i was hoping someone would know where it was....another of my favourites...

lyn

just to add to this pic of tenby st north...the wrestler pat roach used to live there...he lived in a backhouse up an entry with an outside toilet...one room downstairs a bedroom and an attic...pat recalls that sometimes his fathers horse and cart would be parked outside.....

lyn

Hi Lyn

I think there is some doubt to the statement that it is Tenby St North, as this photo was also posted somewhere else on the forum where a question was raised that it may not actually be Tenby St North as stated. All I know is I have the same photo where it is described as such.

Phil

hi phil...not sure where or who the doubt is coming from but this postcard pic of tenby st north is in a book actually written by pat roach called...pat roaches birmingham....in it pat says he was born and grew up just a stones throw from chamberlains clock in the jewellery quarter and then goes on to to talk about what his house was like in tenby st north...i would think that as pat lived in tenby st north he would have spotted if the pic was not true.... what do you think....??ive also got a great pic of pat and fellow wrestler les kellett outside pats car lot in washwood heath...i well remember watching les kellett on our black and white tv down villa street...he was a bit of a comedian if memory serves me correctly...

lyn...

lyn Les Kellett was a good wrestler, used to act if a bit under the influence, and fall back onto the ropes and confuse the opponent Dave

hi dave...yes its all coming back to me now...i also remember another wrestler named jackie pallo (not sure ive spelt that right_

lyn

hi
does anyone remember man mountain benny big man had a beard he was a wrestler used to fight four in a ring

Lyn

I read the book by Pat Roach you are talking about and that may even have been where I got the photo from. I met Pat Roach in 1965 in an unlicensed gambling club I used to use in Balsall Heath. He was acting as a minder for some little Cockney Arthur Daily type. He used to come in there quite regularly in those days. I used to chat to him quite a bit. I don't think he had the slightest idea the way his life was going to change.

Phil

funny how life turns out phil....thanks for your memories...although i must say i cant quite imagine you going into an unlicensed gambling club...tut tut....lol...

cheers..

lyn

Lyn
I'm afraid its me that was casting doubt. Ii still think that it was Regents parade. Even more so now i have looked more closely at the picture in the book. On the book picture you can see on the hanging board it says A.T. Jones . Ringmaker & ????. Attached is the first part of the Regents Parade for 1940.No 3 would be either the red building on the map or the one to the left of it. This picture is one of the few that were not obtained from the family, but from the Hulton picture library. this was probably obtained by the published to fill out the number of pictures. If hulton labelled it as
Tenby St north and it was an L shaped street and after fifty years then he probably just accepted it. that's my opinion anyway.

1940_regent_parade_top.JPG

Regents_parade_c_1910.jpg

sign_Regents_parade_c_1940best.jpg

hi mike...dont be afraid about questioning the location..as you know i dislike incorrect captions. as apart from anything else its no good to folk who are reserching their family history...on reading all your info i must agree with you...unless A T JONES had another place (and i bet you have checked) in tenby st north then it must be regents parade...i have not actually got the book but the pic and a two page article is in a 2004 copy of the brummagem mag...just wondered if you can make out what the sign says on the building at the far end of the pic..think i will cut it out and scan it as we may get a better look at it....

there is just one other possibility...i just wondered if pat roach actually wrote in the book that he lived in tenby st north and not regents parade in which case it would only be the caption that goes with the pic that is wrong.....in the brummagem article it only says he was born and bought up a stones throw from chamerblains clock...which is the closest to the clock mike...tenby st north or regents parade....maybe someone who has the book may be able to answer that question for me...either way mike i must agree with you on the location...

thanks for sorting it all out...

lyn

hi phil...not sure where or who the doubt is coming from but this postcard pic of tenby st north is in a book actually written by pat roach called...pat roaches birmingham....in it pat says he was born and grew up just a stones throw from chamberlains clock in the jewellery quarter and then goes on to to talk about what his house was like in tenby st north...i would think that as pat lived in tenby st north he would have spotted if the pic was not true.... what do you think....??ive also got a great pic of pat and fellow wrestler les kellett outside pats car lot in washwood heath...i well remember watching les kellett on our black and white tv down villa street...he was a bit of a comedian if memory serves me correctly...

lyn...

Hi Lyn
Any chance you could post that pic of Pat Roach and Les Kellet please.

Terry

mike ive scanned the pic out of the brum mag...not sure if it will give us a better look at it but can you take a look at the building at the far end...i can make out it says open just above what may be something like a parrafin dispenser..maybe it was some sort of garage...maybe not the full name but the letters above say YSTEX PRODUCTS....sign looks to modern to me to be 1939 it just dont look inkeeping with the year... maybe it just appeared on the pic...ive seen that happen before...any thoughts...

sorry mike its not come out that well..the mag copy i have is much sharper..this pic is to big and needs resizing...
lyn

Last edited:
Thans Lyn.
I used to drink in the Swan next door and Pat Roach often popped in for a drink.

Terry

Hi Lyn
I actually have the book, but probably didn't make that clear. I bought it when i was up in Brum a few weeks ago, but hadn't had a chance to get down to read it. Until you mentioned where the photo was , I didn't realise it was in it. The book does state that Pat & Dolly lived at Tenby St north in a back house, and that sometimes his fathers horse & cart would be parked outside (not sure if he means outside the backhouse or in Tneby St north. wouldn't think kit would go up an entry !.When I do read the book and not the captions it might make it clearer. I attach the best scan i can of the picture from the book, and have modified it a bit.
The YSTEX was the thing that originally led me to Regent Parade in that i searched round and found Fulford-Brown Bros users of CRYSTEX (or something like that) (they are at no 6 on the kellys scan). I thought it was in the 1940 Kellys, but can't find it there now !. It must be somewhere else, but I'm not sure where. However after i tweeked the photo you can see the (B)ros Ltd above the YSTEX.

Regents_parade_c_1940best.jpg

funny how life turns out phil....thanks for your memories...although i must say i cant quite imagine you going into an unlicensed gambling club...tut tut....lol...

cheers..

lyn

Lyn

We are talking 1963/64 when every coffee bar in Birmingham had an illegal club or shebeen in the cellar or up above. Most of these coffee bars were just a front for these establishments. Many of them were much better than the so called legal clubs that were around at the time.

Phil

brillient mike..thats clinches it then..the pic is of regent parade (not that i ever doubted you)...

phil...now can you see why sometimes i wish i was born a few years earlier....i missed out on all that fun..lol...

cheers both....

lyn

just to add to this pic of tenby st north...the wrestler pat roach used to live there...he lived in a backhouse up an entry with an outside toilet...one room downstairs a bedroom and an attic...pat recalls that sometimes his fathers horse and cart would be parked outside.....

lyn
Hiya Lyn, Had the pleasure of meeting Pat back in 1970, when I was working at B,W,Motors. In Villa street.

hi ya reg...well i nearly had the pleasure of meeting him then as i was still living in villa street then...oh i take it you mean he came to b w motors. or maybe you met him somewhere else....seems he was a well liked guy anyway

cheers

lyn

hi ya reg...well i nearly had the pleasure of meeting him then as i was still living in villa street then...oh i take it you mean he came to b w motors. or maybe you met him somewhere else....seems he was a well liked guy anyway

cheers

Sorry Lyn. Ye! it was in Villa Street. Pat got me out of a sticky situation, I can't tell you what it was though. Not on the forum anyway.

Back