• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is This? 174

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
As this theme of coffee houses has about been done to death. I shall make this the last one I post on this theme, and then it will be back to anywhere, anyplace (in Birmingham that is)

I think it's fitting that this final café is one at the end of its days and looks as if it is shortly to be demolished.

I did know this café, but I never used it. So I can't say if it was good or bad. But there were two other cracking cafés within a short distances walk.

John as that looks like one of your signs, I am going to ban you from this one. There again you would probably get yourself lost on the way to here.

Phil

xx-7.jpg

i almost thought the picture of the coffee house was guest st, hockley, then i realised it wasnt, much to my disapointment, i was born in guest st hockley in 1944 and would love to see a picture of the coffee house there as i lived next door to it. any ideas ?

Not a clue myself, but if Rogerstan means the cafe on the corner of Guest St & Little King St - than have a look at Ted Rudges book Winson Green to Brookfields through time (published this year, Oct). There is a picture of the cafe in the foreground with St Saviours church as main target on 45.
Ignorwe the present phot - it's slightly incorrect as the church went down in '65.
Sorry I cannot show you the picture as I'm new to computing and have not yet learnt to load pics from books, etc.
I'm sure Astoness can do it (please, please)
Brian

cracking pic phil...no idea but has a feel of the ladywood area...

lyn

hi roger...sorry i dont have any pics as yet of guest st..i think that was off bridge st west so if you type that in the search box at the top right of the page ive posted many pics of bsw that may interest you...one of them is of the crossways cafe on the corner...and if memory serves me right the artist smudge came out of guest st...

lyn

I've seen this photo before the places were boarded up, on he Forum

Lyn

Sorry not in the Ladywood area.

Mike

I've never even heard of Abyssinia Place.

abyssinia later

Phil

Phil
Its between 152 and 154 Wheeler St , and 152 in 1964 was a cafe run by Mrs R.Reynolds .
m ike

hi mike...if its wheeler st what part of it would you say it is....as as far as i know wheeler st was and still is on quite an incline from one end to the other...i just wonderd as in phils pic it look quite flat...mind you pics can be deceiving....

lyn

ASTONESS, thanks so much for the picture of the coffee house on the corner of bridge st and guest st, it bought back so many memories, i tried to enlarge it, i would have framed it with a title but when i enlarged it, it was not a very good copy, but ill keep the picture anyway, once again, thank you, all i want now is one of the house i lived in in steward st where i was bought up. lol

you are very welcome roger..it should have enlarged ok....click on the pic then click again on the bottom black bar...it may work...will look for steward st for you..

lyn

roger..go to the neighbours and streets section...i have posted some pics of steward st for you...

Last edited:
hi john..i still think it looks to flat to be wheeler street and im not sure there were any little groves round there...but what do i know..i was quite young when they were demolished....

great pic though..

lyn

Lyn
I certainly never saw it. I was just going by the building on the opposite side of the entry being 154, and a cafe being at 152 Wheeler st . also Abyssinia is nearer Karachi than Ward end is !
Mike

Lyn & Mike

To put you out of your misery, it's not Wheeler Street.

John is that one of your signs?

Phil

thanks phil..at least i got it right saying it wernt wheeler street....lol

winson green....

lyn

Alf

Sorry I thought I had answered you, no it's not Aston or Hockley.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Is it Saltley or Washwood Heath? It looks very familiar just can't place it.

Macca

ASTONESS,thank you for the steward st pictures, now wait for it, i already have those awwwwwwww, never mind eh? i was looking for the impossible really, i lived at 2/109 next door to the blacksmiths , and it was a back house, i doubt if a photographer would have gone up there, he might have had the tin bath thrown at him or at worse the mangle,lol. but thank you so much for what you have already done, its just swell, i will try and do the guest st piccy again, and get back in touch if i have no luck. or indeed even if i do. again thank you.

hi roger...no probs...even though you lived in a back to back you should never give up finding a pic of the front house and entry....took me 3 years to find a pic of the pub that was in my street...never say never is my motto...ok if you need any help just sent me an instant message...

lyn

Hi Phil,
It is one of Pepsi-Cola signs but a couple of years before I joined the firm.
I am almost certain I know the cafe, but will hold on until you say ok or someone else gets it -dare I say it wasn't far from where I went to Art School, that may give someone a clue,(if I'm right that is).
Regards John.

Back