• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Balsall Heath.

Does anyone remember Dantes Ladies hairdressers and barbers in Gooch St in the 1950's? I have been through this thread looking for a good picture of Conybere St you have a couple but they don't give a very good idea of what it was like, my grandparents kept a shop there in the 1930's and I would love to see what it was like.

Hi earlgary,

Have a look at these, if you have them already tell me wich ones and I will delete them as I'm sure I have posted at least one before.

1. looking down Conybere St from St Albans
2. looking up Conybere St from outside the Triangle Cinema Gooch St
3. Lench's Trust Alms Houses Conybere St.
4. Conybere St
5. Conybere St

Phil

BalsallHeathStAlbansConybereSt.jpg
HighgateConybereStTriangleCinema.jpg

BalsallHeathConybereSt3.jpg
HighgateConybereSt1.jpg

HighgateConybereSt2.jpg

Thanks pmc1947 yes you had posted two of them at least but the others were great, gave me a good idea of what the street was like, have made a copy of them all for my records so once again thanks,

Does anyone remember Dantes Ladies hairdressers and barbers in Gooch St in the 1950's? I have been through this thread looking for a good picture of Conybere St you have a couple but they don't give a very good idea of what it was like, my grandparents kept a shop there in the 1930's and I would love to see what it was like.

earlgary. I remember Dantes hairdressers, Dantes wife was called Maria I think and they had two or three daughters, he was very popular because he did the Italian style for the ladies which was all the rage at the time .

Im glad someone else remembers I was wondering if I had the name right, He had a couple of Italians working there that also worked for Raymond next to the Odean in Birmingham believe they were friends of the family.

I lived in Hope Street till I was 6 yrs old. I remember it well.

I have been doing some family history, and found documents from my Father-in-law's Father's record of service, and his address is 7 bk 39 Sherbourne road, when he was signed up for the first world war.

DEBBIE STOKES ..what year did you grandads family live there .at conybere st.
and LERRYN GAL. i remember a girl called mary hodgson who was badly burned in a house fir but i dont think she had any siblings...she lived in conybere street...
Maybe it's my memory failing me, and it was just one girl. I just remember she was terribly scarred.

Christina

I remember the surgery on the corner of Conybere St and William Edward St. Our family doctor was Dr MacGregor a real old Scott for an old Scottish family (well grandmother anyway). The medicine I remember most was a big bottle called "The Mixture" no matter what you ailment was you always got a bottle. I remember we used to collect it from the chemist around the corner in Gooch st by the bus stop. It used to cost a shilling per prescription, no matter how many items on it.

Here are a few more snaps, a couple of Moseley Rd, one of Edward Rd, one of Gooch St and one of Hope St.

Phil
I was just looking at photo's the one of Gooch St shop Geralds my brother had a Saturday job there,the daughters name( who pretty much run the shop ) was
Vicky they were realy nice. i hope i have put this in the right place,liz

Another great shot of Gooch St, showing the bus stop outside the chemists that I mentioned earlier and the row of shops over the road that were soon to be cleared for the new surgery.

Phil
Great pics and the fence you see on the left there. used to be The Great
British Restaurant.laid back from the road,these Restaurants were opened in cities all over England after the war the idea being you could get a good cheap meal. if you had free dinners at school you could go there with your ticket in the holidays.liz

Chris, I think there were two eating places in Gooch St, one was Wards coffee rooms and the other was City of Birmingham Restaurant ( Belgrave Restaurant).
Hope this helps. O0
There was a restaurant opposite Conybere street called the Great British restaurant you could go there in the holidays with your free meals dinner ticket it was great liz

Balsall Heath Knutsford St 1964 .jpg Balsall Heath Belgrave Rd (5).jpg Balsall Heath Clevedon Rd 1969 ad.JPG Balsall Heath Gooch St 1940.jpg Balsall Heath Gooch St - Highgate St.JPG I'm pretty sure that I haven't posted these photos before (well almost sure).

The first one is of Knutsford Street; it ran from Wenman Street to Mary St and now is the site of the School that replaced MaryStSchool. If you ever owned a soap box go cart and you lived in Balsall Heath then you knew Knutsford St. That hill was a lot steeper than it looks here.

The second one is Belgrave Rd; it must be in the 50's. If I'd have thought I could have used that cafe in the "Where is this" feature. But perhaps it would have been too hard.

Next is Clevedon Rd sometime in the 60's I would think, because the Kashmir Cafe is in evidence. One of the very many cafe bars that abounded in Balsall Heath in the 60's. I sometimes thought they did more business than the pubs. Perhaps it was because of the type of business that went on in them.

Number four is of Gooch Street, one of the best shopping centres in Balsall Heath at the time. It was pretty much of a toss up between here and The Lane.

Last one on the list Gooch St again, I think this one is at the bottom of Highgate Street, but I the way my old memory is failing me lately I could be wrong. If you think I am please feel free to correct me.

28/11/11.Please forgive me if I have inserted the wrong photos, when I have reloaded those that were lost.

Phil

Last edited:
Phil
You're right with no 5.Chadwicks was on the corner of Highgate st and gooch St
Mike

I'm pretty sure that I haven't posted these photos before (well almost sure).

The first one is of Knutsford Street; it ran from Wenman Street to Mary St and now is the site of the School that replaced MaryStSchool. If you ever owned a soap box go cart and you lived in Balsall Heath then you knew Knutsford St. That hill was a lot steeper than it looks here.

The second one is Belgrave Rd; it must be in the 50's. If I'd have thought I could have used that cafe in the "Where is this" feature. But perhaps it would have been too hard.

Next is Clevedon Rd sometime in the 60's I would think, because the Kashmir Cafe is in evidence. One of the very many cafe bars that abounded in Balsall Heath in the 60's. I sometimes thought they did more business than the pubs. Perhaps it was because of the type of business that went on in them.

Number four is of Gooch Street, one of the best shopping centres in Balsall Heath at the time. It was pretty much of a toss up between here and The Lane.

Last one on the list Gooch St again, I think this one is at the bottom of Highgate Street, but I the way my old memory is failing me lately I could be wrong. If you think I am please feel free to correct me.
Looking at the Gooch St photograph with Colemans butchers, i used to go in there for my mom and one of the butchers always gave me a penny for a lollipop liz

Hi jill.i went to mary street infants school stayed there till i was eleven then went to upper highgate girls school..my first teacher at mary st.was an indian lady called mrs black...the only other 2 teachers i remember are mr purden and mr smith .the headmaster was mr mundy .the caretaker was called may .....

Hi Sandra coley . l went to mary street school and my mother knew mrs Black , and when l went to senior school in yardley (Bierton ) her son Mr Black was the sports teacher there , its great to have these memories .

Hi Lerryngal i i just noticed you said you lived in Hope St, i went to school there lived
just around the corner what a small world

hi .my two brothers went to hope street school.in 60s....michael and alec leake .did anyone know them..they lived in conybere street

hi sandra i went to hope street 61/65 when did your brothers go.its liz

My grand mother Sarah Jones was a servant in 1913 to a William John Aston at no 6 Edgbaston Road. He lived there I think until 1930. Can anyone remember the family?? I would to have any information on them.

Hi just looking through the photographs again love them,Just thought i would pop up a reminder
anybody got any photographs of William Edward Street Balsall Heath i would love to see them
liz

Hello Everyone,

My name is Iris Matthews, I lived at 1/36 Hope Street for the period of 1938 - 1960 I lived with my mother Mrs Maud Matthews and my twin sister Irene Matthews. We lived in a back to back house, toilets outside, brewhouse for the washing. We had a cellar where the coal was chucked down from the sacks. My mother was always in the pubs mainly Baltic, the Star, the Duke and the Dolphin in Vaughton Street, just off Gooch Street.
I attended Hope street School (mixed) from infants to seniors, i remember the following teachers Mr Marshall, Miss Clark (who slapped my face for talking, when I wasn't) I remember the Rose family, the Jay family.
I worked as a Saturday girl at Dantes hairdressers, sweeping the floor and making tea.
Does anyone remember Box's little shop, where we used to go for sweets, opposite Hope Street School? The coal yard?
In Gooch street I remember the cooked meat shop called Jeavons's where my mum used to get Hodge and chicklings and we used to get a whole suckling pig for Christmas. I remember getting free scratchings from Kench's fish and chip shop (best chip shop in Balsall Heath) and going to the Triangle, the Luxor, the Mosely picture house, the Alambra and visiting Dr Mc Gregor from Conybere Street.
I was really thrilled to see this forum as I now live in Coventry but have returned to the area only to find EVERYTHING has gone. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at the photographs and would be grateful to see more and would love to talk to anyone who may remember me or my family and remind me of past memories (i am so excited when things come back remembering Hope Street)
Kind Regards
Iris

Hiya i went to Hope st a little after you i lived in William Edward St the Dolphin was
opposite our street,the coal yard, kenches, jeavon's, i remember all those the star
you will find photos of all you remember on here,enjoy liz

I to remember Dantes Hairdresser. I swept the floor and made tea for the customers, The way they did my hair was lovely the Italian look was the rage then. Iris

Hi Iris, the Rose family you mention did they live in Ballsall Heath Rd, you must have been at hope street school the same time as my sister, she left in 61,do you remember Mr Green and
Mr Barlow oh and Miss Scott needlework,

my mom lived in tindal street from 1928 until she got married in 1949. I know the school she went to was bombed during the war. She was evacuated to Badminton at the start of the war when she was 11years old. my nan always said that they lived in mosely as she thought it sounded 'posher' than Balsall heath. It would be good to hear from anyone who remembers that time or the Moore family. My great gran was also the local midwife and bought many babies into the world

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks pmc 1947, i had searched the net for a pic of Tindal St school before the war to no avail, and came across yours by chance. My mother went there just before the war till it was bombed ,then she was evacuated. Thanks again. I noticed you live in Nechells, i wondered if you had any pics of old Coleman St. My great gran ran a shop at 38,Coleman St during the thirties and forties and i would love to find a picture of the shop.

Pom I am relatively young (i think) If my memory serves me well the restaurant you refer to was known as the "British restaurant" I believe they were a chain set up after the war to provide a reasonably priced and nutricious meal I think based on goverment guidelines. I stand to be corrected, but I think thats what they were called. I well remember Jakemans Walk, as a smelly festering eyesore that ran parallel to Clevedon Road. I worked as a runner for a little tailors shop located in Jakemans walk in the early sixties (I was justr a kid) I remember the Luxor with great affection. I spent many a happy Saturday morning at the matinee. The black patch was a great place to let off steam. I remember the Witches hat The spiders web and the swings by the Edward rd entrance to Calthorpe Park. At one time I did a paper round which included Cheddar Rd as one of the later delivery roads, I am ashamed to admit that when I was short of papers which happened occasionally (no fault of mine) the previous delivery boy from a rival newsagent invariably left his papers sticking out of the letter boxes and I was forced to take his poorly delivered newspapers and redirect them to my own more deserving recipients. If you happen to be that boy/girl I am so sorry, but thanks anyway.

Fabulous photos where did you get them? THE THIRD PHOTO i RECOGNISE WELL AS THE CORNER OF LINCOLN ST AND LITTLE CLEVEDON ROAD. PHOTOS ONE AND TWO I REMEMBER AS THE TRIANGLE AND WOOLWORTHS IN GOOCH ST AT THE TIME OF THEIR AWAITING DEMOLITION.

Back