• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Balsall Heath.

Hi forgotten the name of who i am responding to,Biffo i think,yes your right about The Great British
Restaurant,and if you had free dinners at school,Rea St,this applied to i don't know about the other local schools,you could take your free school meal ticket there and have your dinner,i often chose that option,
My dad used to take us to the luxor,i seen Calamity Jane there,the first time,and we used to go to the
Triangle Saturday morning matinees,and the Restaurants were opened for the reason you said all over
England.or at least subsidised they may have been open before,but they were cheap and nutritious, in an
attempt to help people eat decent meals at least occasionally,not sure many poor people used the facility
i think if you were poor the last place you would have gone was a restaurant unless it was cheaper than
corn beef hash, or bread & marg,lol

Dear All from Balsall Heath

I lived there from 1935 to 1963. I would appreciate any photographs that are available of Saint Paul's Avenue. I know from Google that the eastern side has been demolshed, but I lived at number 18 (my grandparence lived at 14), counting from Saint Paul's Road our house would be the seventh. I remember that when I looked down the garden path a gas lamp (now replaced by an electric one to judge by the Google Street picture) was just to the right of the rear gate.

Peterkin

Does anyone have any information on a Sarah Jones who worked as a cook at 11 Park Hill Moseley/Balsall Heath in 1916. She married a George Stacey in 1916 who was a soldier at the time.

Hi jill i was from hick street great area pity they pulled down homes and built high rise thanks to all for the memory's i spent much of my child hood in these streets
I looked and looked on the site for a mention of Balsall Heath where I lived until I was 21 when we were then scattered us all over the place. I can find no mention of - so does anyone out there hail from Balsall Heath?

Last edited by a moderator:
hello Peter, re balsall heath, i lived in belgrave rd from about 1946 to 1964 and used to go to the Triangle and the luxor quite often. i also used to go to the Bristol on a saturday morning for the matnies, one lasting memory i have of the Bristol was, seeing the late Diana Dors on stage i dont know what the ocasion was , after all i was only about seven at the time !!! thats all for now folks tarra

shardeen

the Bristol bit posh for the Hick street Boys haha we use to go to the Alhabera on mosley rd saturday morning till i started work at the bullring then i never had time
hello Peter, re balsall heath, i lived in belgrave rd from about 1946 to 1964 and used to go to the Triangle and the luxor quite often. i also used to go to the Bristol on a saturday morning for the matnies, one lasting memory i have of the Bristol was, seeing the late Diana Dors on stage i dont know what the ocasion was , after all i was only about seven at the time !!! thats all for now folks tarra

shardeen

shardeen
Hello i was born and brought up in William Edward St,left in 1966,have found some great photos on here
none of William Edward St sadly but surrounding areas

My mom worked for doctor mcgregor during the war and lived in. When my dad returned from india he too lived there too until they found a house of their own. Both my parents have died but they had fond memories of the doctor. Ness

Dr McGregor on the corner of the street, i remember the surgery,not as far back as the war,he wasn't our family Doctor
my parents first GP was on Monument Rd and they stayed with him till the 70s,

hi jill i read you went to school on moseley road ..was it upper highgate girls school.?i went there and also mary street school.i left the girls school in 1961/62..miss robertshaw was the head mistress. would be good to hear from any of the girls who went there .my maiden name was leake....

I've really enjoyed re-discovering this thread and reading about places that I've heard about for all my life. My grandparents (Harry 'Snowy' and Violet Booth) and family lived in Sherbourne Rd and later Conybere St at one time or another and used to live in a place with large double gates and a big yard (a former brewery/pub on Sherbourne Rd?) and they had a large alsation dog called Kim. My mum, and her sisters (and brother) often mention the Triangle and the different shops in the area. My Nans family were Moningtons and her brother Freddie worked at the Star and the Electric before moving to Brighton.

Hi there its good to read again the old memories of Balsall Heath, I was born 7back of 8 Hick Street on March 19th 1930, I was lucky enough to move out to Yardley
Wood when I was 2+ a half, even there there, brand new house the loo was outside but at least they were single seaters, Bernard

Hi there its good to read again the old memories of Balsall Heath, I was born 7back of 8 Hick Street on March 19th 1930, I was lucky enough to move out to Yardley
Wood when I was 2+ a half, even there there, brand new house the loo was outside but at least they were single seaters, Bernard
So Bernard are you saying there was more than one convienience in one building,i remember the outside toilets in the yard usually 1 shared between two families but they were separate toilets in a row,depending how many houses in the yard

Hi meaty 66.hope ive got this in the right place..i knew a family of booths who lived in sherborne rd..i went to school at upper highgate girls school with irene booth .and her sister maureen..i think their father was called billy.he was a window cleaner..where did they live in conybere st ??we lived at 195 conybere st..i remember the booths house it was just past the school entrance where my friend diane whitehouse used to live ,,the booths would know me as leake ...look forward to your reply...

Hi meaty 66.hope ive got this in the right place..i knew a family of booths who lived in sherborne rd..i went to school at upper highgate girls school with irene booth .and her sister maureen..i think their father was called billy.he was a window cleaner..where did they live in conybere st ??we lived at 195 conybere st..i remember the booths house it was just past the school entrance where my friend diane whitehouse used to live ,,the booths would know me as leake ...look forward to your reply...

That's the right family, Irene is my aunt and my mum is Maureen and Billy was their uncle. I was talking to mum today and showed her some pictures on this thread and she said it brought back some memories, particularly the one of the Triangle. I'm not too sure of the house numbers they lived in as they lived in two houses on Conybere St. I'll mention your name when I see her next.

That's the right family, Irene is my aunt and my mum is Maureen and Billy was their uncle. I was talking to mum today and showed her some pictures on this thread and she said it brought back some memories, particularly the one of the Triangle. I'm not too sure of the house numbers they lived in as they lived in two houses on Conybere St. I'll mention your name when I see her next.
Hi did you have anybody in the family named Shirley i think she lived in Stanhope St

hi meaty66.what a name lol......well what a small world....billy booth used to clean our windows....i believe he had a sister called alice clarke .who lived in highgate street.she had daughters called sandra .who had bright red hair and corinne who was blonde..she was a right laugh was alice...your mom maureen was in my sister wendys class at school irene was in my class.i dont remember them living in conybere st though ..was it before or after they lived in sherborne road ??

me again meaty if youve any pics of the girls in their teens would you post one on so i can copy it onto my file .i havent even got a school foto ..we were too poor to afford them lol .

hi meaty66.what a name lol......well what a small world....billy booth used to clean our windows....i believe he had a sister called alice clarke .who lived in highgate street.she had daughters called sandra .who had bright red hair and corinne who was blonde..she was a right laugh was alice...your mom maureen was in my sister wendys class at school irene was in my class.i dont remember them living in conybere st though ..was it before or after they lived in sherborne road ??

That sounds about right, although Billy would have been a Monington as he's my Nan's brother. There were also another couple of brothers that I knew (Albert and Freddie) and Alice was their sister (although I didn't know her too well). I'm not too sure of the timeline of where they lived in each street either.

Can anybody confirm the colours of The Triangle cinema?. Im sure I remember them as light grey on the top part and scarlet on the bottom part but its a long time ago.

blue and white mid sixtys i've seen a photo on here somewhere

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Gooch St The Triangle Cinema (2).jpg
    Balsall Heath Gooch St The Triangle Cinema (2).jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Highgate Moseley Rd  Alhambra Picture House.jpg
    Highgate Moseley Rd Alhambra Picture House.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 18
Hi Pmc how are you i was trying to put a link to a site with lots of Ballsall Heath photos on face book, but it doesn't seem to have worked,well it must have if you seen them, but its gone now, anyway if your on facebook there is a group on there old
Highgateonians
and there are lots of photo's on there but i am sure i have seen the Triangle on here,and it was blue and white, but i do seem to remember it being deep red and some lighter colour before that liz

Hi Pmc how are you i was trying to put a link to a site with lots of Ballsall Heath photos on face book, but it doesn't seem to have worked,well it must have if you seen them, but its gone now, anyway if your on facebook there is a group on there old
Highgateonians
and there are lots of photo's on there but i am sure i have seen the Triangle on here,and it was blue and white, but i do seem to remember it being deep red and some lighter colour before that liz
i think it was a cream colour above the almost burgundy colour, ken & johnny lived opposite the phone box in the picture.

Highgateonians
i am not on facebook, i will have sign up,i would love to see some of the old faces from hope street school;it's been a long time,it would nice to get danny & peter meeson on the forum, kenny is still computer shy but i am slowly talking him round to getting one,he's got lots of memories of highgate &balsall heath.

Hi pmc yes i think it was, the photo looks to me late 60s not long before it was demolished,i am sure it must have been painted
at sometime, and i do remember deep red on the bottom,well you can see the photos with the link i hope,i remember where
John and Kenny lived,and apparently there is still a phone box there all be it a modern one,although no houses opposite,on one of the photos you can see Johns house,hey i remember the number of that phone box liz

I used to pass The Triaingle in the late fifties and early sixties with my mother when we were visting my grandad .I think burgundy would be about right but I am sure the top part was light gray. I can just about remember it being repainted towards the end of its life.

Back