• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

Hi Baron,

I knew a SHELLEY family lived in Kings Road, near the Odeon. My brother was friends with a Trevor Shelley who later became an Obstetrician, there was another older brother who was in the Fleet Airarm.

Iris

I remember Tiger Hart & a Graham Warren from Australia I used to go to the Dirt track (thats what we called it then) at Perry Barr almost every Saturday night with friends. Came home filthy. but enjoyed every minute.

I am looking for Shergold, Thomas, Ridley.

Iris.

I forgot about the 'Dirt track' name for the speedway, come to think of it, I do remember people on the bus talking about it, and they being filthy dirty. Of course most working men used the buses to work in those days, many of them had no overalls to change into, and consequently, the bus seats would get filthy too. Then later on, we would sit on those same seats on our way to the picturs or whatever, in our decent togs. In recent years there have been an attempt to revive the sport,but I don't think it will ever be the same, tastes change. Talking of buses, one of my abiding memories is trips on the buses, especilly in winter evenings---on the top deck, blimey! you could not see out the windows for fag smoke and condensation. Queing up after a Villa match--massive crowds , but masses of buses too. Dark, gas-lit-streets, usually raining, no heat on the bus ? is that right ? and home to a poorly lit and heated house. LUVVERLY !! It were'nt all good in those days, pitty we can't have the best bits back that's all.---------------golightly.

Mauricesellars--Now you mention it, I do remember several schools ( and not just schools ) that had this type of so-called temporary extentions to them. I guess that war damage and miss placed children was the main cause of this, plus lack of materials, time, and ignorance about the dangers of Asbestos. Only time would tell if there was any lasting damage to people's health. For a short time in the 1960's, I worked in a paper and board mill, where the process required thousands of tons of hot water fed through huge pipes above our heads. These pipes were constantly being re-insulated with asbestos, so often in fact, that they had a permenant gang of men going round the mill , removing and replacing asbestos. None of these guys had any masks or protection of any kind whatsoever. As I had to move around the mill every day ( I used to mix colourings and fixing agents) I --and everyone else, would walk through dense clouds of this dangerous stuff, not knowing the risk. Well, I'm 68, and still in reasonable nick--fingers crossed, plus anything else I can manage---NO, thats all I can manage------golightly. Ps. I can remember, the rag and bone man, hot spud man and chestnut man( though that was in the Bull Ring) a bloke selling- er, almost everything from a case, ( I used to think he was coming to stay with us) Knife grinder man, coalman, breadman and milkman with there horse drawn van,( we were ORDERED to chase after the horse for his droppings, before some other kid beat us to it, sometimes we were given a bucket) mobile groceryman, and all time favourite--the schoolboardman--?? Aaaaaaaaghhhhh-------------

I too remember the 'dirt track'. One night my dad and mom took us to Perry Barr to see Graham Warren. Never having been there before, we thought we were luck to find a nice large space near the track - had a lovely evening. When we arrive home via a bus ride all five of us were as 'black as soot' from the cinders off the track. Miriam.

Dad used to take me to the "dirt track" to watch the speedway, catch the 29 to Perry Barr, always wore goggles to watch the races and always went home filthy. Did anyone go there to watch the Stock car racing, that was exciting too.

Goffy

Anyone daft enough to stand at a corner at the Speedway especially if it had been raining didn't make the same mistake a second time.Used to get crowds of 20,000 there some weeks,so guess late comers didn't get much choice.
Thats my memories of B'ham buses,Villa Park,Kingstanding houses in winter with the one small fire,as well golightly,plus many more of course.Had great times in Kingstanding and Brum as a kid in 1940s/50s and still look back on them with much fondness.
Regards
Pembroke

Re: kingstanding dirt track

Goofy now your talking stock car racing at Perry Barr, Brandon in Coventry,Long Eaton by Nottingham even went to Harringay once. Ellis Ford he was a top driver even though he had a bad leg. Billie Wilkins was a speedway rider his dad was a coalman they lived in Hurlingham Road. There was also a Aussie rider Les? Mitchell.
Moss in Aus

Remember the Bull Ring used to go every Saturday morning, loved the hot potatoes etc. we used to go to the Fish Market for the Crab claws, as you say LUVVERLY. Nice atmosphere, the big shops decorated for Xmas Lewis's etc.
Iris xx

Iriselsie--CRABS CLAWS ? getting above your station you were--such sophistication-----------bet you who white gloves while eating 'em. golightly.

Hi Golightly,

Always wore gloves & matching shoes (not always white) haha. Hat too. proper ladylike.
Must tell you I worked in the MOD Army div. in New Zealand 1974-1987 and the Major there was named Golightly. He came from south of England.

Irisxx

I remember Tiger Hart had a small garage and car plot in Birchfields Rd. Not sure what year, I think end 1948?

Iris

Iriselsie--I always knew you were a lady. Did your career/ contract with the M o d in New Zealand just end, or were you longing for the more exotic sounds and smells of Kingstanding ? I'm surrounded with ex Kiwi's here, they say it's the only country with a net figure of people coming and going. No one would say the country is'nt visually magnificent, but after a while, I'm told by returnees, that the sense of being -'cut off'- from the world is depressing. Shame ! Thanks for that snippit about Tiger Hart, (great name is'nt it? sounds right out of the 'Hotspur' comic ). My old man sold cars like him, after the war. You could sell anything with a wheel on it at that time, because of the lack of new motors (they all went for export), second hand was valued. He used to go up to Measham auctions with his mates and come home with some very strange vehicles--mostly military. One day he frightened the women and children in the street, by driving this huge bright red racing car to our house, just to show-off to our mom and the neighbours. It was about 18 ft long, one seat, tiny windscreen, no mudgards, no doors, fish tail exhaust pipe, that ran the outside length of the vehicle, ending in a 'fishtail' shape. It could not--have been street legal, even for those days of no MOD certificates. Looking back, I recon it was a 1920's Alfa Romeo true racing car, that was probably hidden away for years, and today--would be worth a fortune. I wonder what he did with it.----golightly.

Hi Richard where in aston did you live, I used to live opposite a family by the name of Shephard.

I was born in Blews St Aston by lancaster bridge in 1937.moved to Kingstanding.then back to Aston
in 1940s I first lived in Ward St moved to John St. then to Shefford Rd

Last edited:
Hi Ditone,

I was born at my Gran's house(1929) 85 High St, Aston, just round he corner from you. do you remember IRIS's the sweet shop in Alma St.?

Iris

Hi Golightly,

Hubby and I went to NZ 1974 hubby's job. I got a job in MOD. we both enjoyed our 13 year stay there, but did miss daughter and family, came back to the land of our fathers 1987, we had early retirement as son-in-law was dying of cancer very sad, but we intended coming back anyway.
People who had lived there over 35yrs still missed England. I did'nt feel I belonged there really, and alot of older kiwi's did't want us there.

Iris xx

Hi Iris yes i do remember the sweet shop in Alma St.after fetching the coal or coke
in the old pram on a Saturday.my mom would give me a few pennies then i would
run up to Alma St for some sweets.we didn't have much in them days.
thanks for your message.
richard

Hi Iris, don't remember Iris's sweet shop, but there was a sweet shop there that we frequented (big word for an astonite) and the people that ran that were called Fosters it was just opposite the bus stop just above the traffice lights, there was also a shoe repairers next door to us, but obviously depends on dates etc, there was an outdoor just up from us too. Do you remember a large shop called Davis's (I think) it was in the High St. a very old shop and you went through each dept to get to the next Mom always bought my pyjamas from there I think they were called Silent night, they came in a box and it was dark blue with stars and moon on - thought I was the cats whiskers in them. Used to go to the Orient on a Sat. morning too. Lovely to hear from you.

Diane

Does anyone remember the prisoners of war in Sutton park
and the sand pits at the corner of finchly Rd and Chester Rd
were we used dig up all sorts of things what the Americans took off the prisoners and buried it at the sand pits

Yes I saw POW's in Sutton Park, also spoke to them, saw them at the bottom of our gardens, they would give carved aeroplane models for some 'fags'. I also played on Sandpits, begged chewing gum off Pheasey Base 'Yanks'. Try a search - there's quite a lot about these items on the forum, although it takes time to find it.
icon7.gif

Hello Iriselsie---It's a sad comment on the way people carry their 'baggage' with them, regardless of time or distance. I have a good joke about Kiwi's and Aus'es, but I suppose it will make me a hypocrit by repeating it. Although firstly, it's an old one, and secondly, most of the flack comes from the 'old commonwealth countries' aimed at us anyway. When we were uprooted from Kingstanding and moved to Bristol (eventually), we had a hard time understanding the locals, and they us. After about 50 yrs, we were sort of 'accepted'. Theres a village just a few hundred yards over the bridge from 'actual' Bristol called Long Ashton. Talking one day to a man from there, he said, I never trust them Bristolians. I doubt if anyone could tell the difference 'tween the accents and yet, he saw his big neighbour as 'foreigners'. He eyed me suspiciously too, and asked if I was from Portsmouth----------------golightly.

Yes I saw POW's in Sutton Park, also spoke to them, saw them at the bottom of our gardens, they would give carved aeroplane models for some 'fags'. I also played on Sandpits, begged chewing gum off Pheasey Base 'Yanks'. Try a search - there's quite a lot about these items on the forum, although it takes time to find it.
icon7.gif
OldMohawk. My Wifes Grandfather, Archibald Hemming was stationed in Sutton Park in the 40s. He served in the first world War, in Selonica building roads, according to Company records they were usually under fire while doing so.

He voluntered his services in second World war, and while going back to his duty's his in Sutton Park, after visiting his wife, he was killed crossing the road outside Banners Gate. Reg.

My Wifes Grandfather, Archibald Hemming was stationed in Sutton Park in the 40s. He served in the first world War, in Selonica building roads, according to Company records they were usually under fire while doing so. He voluntered his services in second World war, and while going back to his duty's his in Sutton Park, after visiting his wife, he was killed crossing the road outside Banners Gate. Reg.
That's a sad story Reg.
With regard to the POW's in Sutton Park, I remember the 'camp fence' was wooden palins about 2ft high - no guards in sight - bit different to Colditz. The 'Jerry' prisoners (as we called them then) looked quite happy to be out of the war.

Re: kingstanding Sutton park

old Mohawk When we were kids Sutton Park was our main playground, we would walk there from Aylesbury Crescent via Sidcup Road. When we walked we always took the dog with us but he always seemed to disappear when we got there and was always at home before us. There was a mosquito infested creek that ran from Banners Gate to Pals Pool this was a real adventure getting through the deep bogs. If we went there on our bikes we went to the 27 bridges which was on the Four Oaks side. I remember the the big kids used to put pennies on the the railway track for the express trains to run over. I never did it honest.
Moss in Aus

Hi Moss,
I guess we are talking about Sutton Park in the Kingstanding thread, but never mind. Before the mid 60's, anyone from outside the Royal Borough of Sutton Coldfield would have to pay to drive a car into the park. I use to borrow a sticker from my sister who lived in SC and put it on my windscreen to drive into the park free. The 27 bridges are still there running along the north side of Bracebridge pool, but something they don't have these days are the rowing boats which used to be on Powells and Blackroot pools.
oldmohawk
icon7.gif

Back