• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Patrick lichfield photos

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all..ive got a set of 10 patrick lichfield photographs size 11x9..they are all stuck onto hard card and are all signed by him underneath each photo..each one has the litchfield studio sticker in london on the back and he has signed them in pencil not biro....they are of county scenes..most could poss be in wales or england. i am going to take them to biddle and webbs on thurs as it their free valuation day to see what they think..just wondered if anyone had any ideas as to if they are worth anything....my brother has had these for at least 20 years but didnt realise until he bought them round to show me who had taken them...

cheers.

lyn

Morning Lyn. What an exciting find. I suppose the valuation is down to authentication of the signature. I am sure Biddle and Webb will have a good idea. Like most things I suppose they will be worth more as he is no longer with us.:( Keep us informed it would be nice to know.

morning wend....i dont want to get to excited and i am just hoping the signatures will be good and true....my bro found them in a old disused factory in astonbrook st at least 20 years ago..he cant quite remember now if they were in a skip or just lying around..knowing him as i do they were most likely in a skip and he went in head first...:D:D will let you know what happens...

lyn

https://www.amateurphotographer.co....vealed_for_London_exhibition_news_255007.html

Have you seen this?
If the link does not work, it is an article about an exhibition in London of Lichfield photos that was held in May 2008. It says 'since his death in 2005 archivists have extensively catalogued his collection'. A 20x24 print costs £1.400.
I am not sure if they were all of famous people.
The website for the gallery is
www.chrisbeetles.com
Perhaps they may be able to help you.
What an exciting find - please let us know if you make any progress with them.
Polly

hi all..just got back from biddle and webb and i caused quite a bit of excitement....as far as they are concerned the 10 mounted photos including the signature on each one are good and true and are indeed written in pencil...they have taken them from me to do more research and to try to find out on what trip patrick lichfield was on when he took them..as the location would be handy to know..the very conservative estimate was given as at least 3 figures for each one....cant say how pleased i am for my brother as most of you know he has spent many years saving little bits of our history from disused buildings and factories not to mention skip diving.:rolleyes:..should know in a couple of weeks the outcome.thanks for that link pollypops i will have a look at it...

lyn:):):)

Thanks for keeping us updated Lyn fingers crossed!:):):thumbsup:

So tomorrow lunch is on you then Lyn?:D
Maybe The Hotel du Vin? :cool:
Thinking about it though, they wouldn't let us in wearing our workmens' (and womens') clothes:(

This is getting very exciting - what a clever brother you have! Please let us know how you get on.
Polly

lol david..thing is pollypops he didnt realise the conection until i pointed it out to him last week:rolleyes: hes had them in a carrier bag under the stairs for 20 years..well the signs are looking good so fingers crossed and i will post again when we know more in a couple of weeks...

lyn:)

And most important of all Lyn, he has a good reply now to all those who, in the past, looked askance when he delved in the rubbish. He sounds like someone after my own heart
Mike

point taken mike...you see the thing is with our kid is it matters not to him that all the things he has collected over the last 40 years or so are worth anything..to him its history wether worth 50p at a boot sale or a million quid at sothebys...he has never done it for monetary gain he just loves it....bit like me with me blue engineering bricks...:D

I know Lyn. I have a few blue bricks I rescued about 40 years ago ( and a few red ones). They were from the black country , and I use them to hold up some book shelves in my spare (junk and overflow !) room
mike

nice one mike...and what a fitting place to make use of them...:) hey i hope all goes well with our kids photos...he has promised me a cut out of it.....:D:D

lyn

hi folks..just a quick update...its seems that the original valuation for these signed photos may have been a tad over the mark...mind you i did find it hard to beleive they were worth that much:rolleyes: anyhow the auction is next friday and our kid has put a reserve price on them...hopefully i will be able to get there and see how they do...or dont as the case may be....fingers crossed..:)

lyn

thank you shirl....at auctions i think we can expect anything to happen...will keep you informed....

Thanks for the update Lyn. You really cannot tell how these things are going to pan out. All the best for Friday, and hope all goes well.
Lynda:)

thanks lynda...ive never been to an auction before so i am really looking forward to it...just hope i dont have to scratch me nose and end up buying them:D:D:D

lyn

Hi Lyn - As at most auction houses you have to register first and get a bidding number or they won't accept a bid. So scratch away.

All the very best and have fun - by the way the teas is not that good at B&W.

thank goodness for that bernie..i often wondered what happened if you accidently made a bid....:rolleyes: thanks for warning about the tea...i will take a flask then...:D

lyn

Don't forget Lyn, the auction house will have their cut, usually 12 to 15%, there again if 2 or more buyers desire them it could push the price right up. Best of luck. Eric

thanks eric....if i end up bringing them home i shall take a pic of each one and post it on the forum....cant understand why i didnt do it before...:rolleyes:

see you at the bartons....

lyn

Good luck with the auction.
I thought about your brother yesterday - someone found the recipe for Worcester sauce, written in the mid 1800's dumped in a skip -it's now going on display in the Worcester museum
Polly :)

With regard to the Lea and Perrins recipe - this appears to have been used/borrowed by someone who wrote a history of the sauce so should have been returned when finished with. Now where did I put that old Birmingham City Library Book I had when at Handsworth Tech?

The Grocer

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks david..ive been told that unless i have a bidding card if i do scratch me nose it wont count...:D:D

hi folks....well they didnt sell im afraid:cry::cry:

still there will be another time and another auction and ive also been given a couple of contact numbers..when ive got time i will put all ten photos on the forum for you to have a look at...the locations are still a mysyery so maybe you may have some ideas...

Back