• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shampoo

Patty

master brummie
I was talking to a friend today about shampoo and it started us thinking about the shampoo's we used to have as a girl. we never had any bottles they were always in a sachet do you remember?? We could only think of a few,Lincoln beer shampoo, dreene, silverkrin, Bristow lanolin. Just thought egg shampoo.

Yes Patty I was only talking about this to one of the Forum members yesterday. I was thinking of Lyril soap, Drene shampoo..gosh that smelled wonderful, Sebbix shampoo, Loxene and Richard Hudnut Egg shampoo.

Maggs

this is not a shampoo but i can remember our mom always buying a setting lotion called amarmi or think it was green..

lyn

Pat must admit my minds gone blank on this one or maybe because I used to have mine washed every week at Mavis's. Will have a think. Jean.

I think the one most used in our house was Carbolic, I think it killed 99% of all germs , bugs, mice, rats ,cockroaches, silverfish as well as getting us kids clean.

Pat I remember squeezing a lemon on my hair after I washed it with my nameless shampoo. Was derback soap a shampoo or a nit killer?. Jean.

Was that the stuff that you could smell a mile away?. Was there conditioner in those days Pat?. Jean.

Yes it was awful wasn't it? I cant remember conditioner for sale in the shops you could only use it at the hairdressers, I think we would sell you a small bottle it was called Life-Tex
Women used to put Vitapoint on, you used it after you brushed you hair it was like a grease in a tube

Last edited:
We had Vosene shampoo. I remember Armami setting lotion, and Rosedale lacquer that used to come in plastic sachets and you had to squeeze it into your own spray bottle - anyone remember that?

I certainly do I used to stick round the neck of the bottle and go all rubberey, god knows what it did to my lungs all the years in the trade

Remember that Colhair it was in a bottle with a little brush and it was siver powder, you put steaks in you hair and if it got on you face it went green

I used to use a conditioner called Tame, it came in a sachet, I think it was the only one around at that time.

Trebor

Patty I thought it was your hair that went green once when you put a brown on a blonde or the reverse. I never knew what to expect when I walked through you back gate. Judy now you've said I remember vitapoint and did you only require a drop in the palm of your hand?. Jean.

Trebor sorry I missed your's yes I do remember that now the grey matter has began to wake up a bit. Jean.

Our Mom always used to wash our hair in either Vosene or Loxene. It was always washed over the sink in the kitchen every Sunday evening with the sound of Sing Something Simple on the radio. When I was about 13 I discovered Linco, and I think you could buy it in a little brown plastic barrell :) I don't think you could get conditioner for your hair when I was little, but I think one of the first my Mom used was Alberto Balsam?

Yes it was awful wasn't it? I cant remember conditioner for sale in the shops you could only use it at the hairdressers, I think we would sell you a small bottle it was called Life-Tex
Women used to put Vitapoint on, you used it after you brushed you hair it was like a grease in a tube

Hi Patty

I used to use Vitapoint back in the late 50's (when I had hair!).
It was a bit like Brylcreem without the oil slick. Please don't
disillusion me by telling me that this was an exclusively female
product !!

Kind regards Dave

You can still get vosene and I'm pretty sure armani as well at some branches of wilkinsons.

There was also borax, and some orrible thick greenstuff in little jars, might have been called soft soap I think

what about the hair laquers patty, miners and if you ran out sugar water oh my god used to take laquer off with a crumbled bath cube mixed in shampoo cos if you didnt looked like you had a headful of nits.......remember the nit nurse at school come on own up who had them haha

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i remember those shampoos . also ,sunsilk sachet shampoo ,does anyone remember dry shampoo, lemon smelling and other smelly ones, you brush in brush out, makes your hair shiny , mine was as dull as dishwater . also setting jelly called i think ,dippedy doo,pipe cleaners for home perms ha ha .and always in the drawer, cresant shaped metal clips, for grannies waves , and sponge dougnuts ,for hair buns.

I remember people mixing sugar and water together and the tale that was spread around at the time about ( and it was always someone that their friend knew) a girl who had all her hair done up in a bouffant style and she had a wasp fly in because of the sugar and it laid eggs in her hair and they all hatched and ate half her head away. People believed it as well, when they came in the salon they used to ask me to have a good look in their hair just in case.

As kids we only ever had our hair washed in Sunlight soap, or derback soap if there were rumours of nits around. The first packet shampoo I bought for myself was sunsilk in a blue plastic sachet with the price of 4d in a white circle in the corner and later it cost 6d.

In the 50's I remember my sisters using a perm (?) called Twink. It smelled something awfull. Like rotten eggs. No matter how much perfume they used you could still get a whiff of it.
I did not use shampoo until my twenties, a bar of soap in the bath used to do. Did no harm I still have a full head of hair, though now grey.

Col H - I remember Borax well - when I had a beehive hairstyle in the 60s I used to use a lot of lacquer and to get it out I wet my hair and then rubbed Borax in it until the lacquer dissolved, before shampooing my hair.

Also remember having a Toni home perm in the mid 50s, when I had a 'poodle' haircut - similar to Gina Lollobrigida!

Judy

Not quite a shampoo but when I worked at Woolies I bought something called bandbox spray tint not realising it was vertually neat peroxide. I was naturally blond but thought I would lighten it up. It went the most awful straw colour and took ages to grow it out. No shampoo on earth could get rid of that. Even my finger tips turned white. Jean.

Back