• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

I have a few pictures of Alma st i hope they are of interest to someone .This is taken outside my back door on New st we lived at 66 Alma st

Last edited:
hi john. thank you for sharing your pics with us they are brillient. what years were you living in alma st.

wales

i wonder if anyone recongnises anyone on this nice pic of the 1953 coronation street party in alma street.

wales.

Hi Wales I was born in Alma St in 1960.My mom and dad moved to number 66 Alma st about 1958 .We moved to kingstanding in about 1967 when they redeveloped the area. My mother was born Catherine Hanks in 1922 at 26.5 Summer lane.She then married in 1944 and lived at 64 Lower tower st,up untill moving to Alma st .A hard working lady.I have seven brothers and one sister .

hi john. thank you for you story.. i was born in paddington st and all my family have lived in the surrounding streets. i am always looking for more pics and of course will put them on the site should i come accross any.

wales.

hi emma. just wondering did you know of the family hollands.. my mother spoke of she lived alma st, but dont know what number tho, ther granddaughter was emily griffin, and ther was a maud griffin, my mum told me she use to be so hungry they use to give her a hot potato on a spoon.. she also spoke of the shop keepers too you mentioned they was very kind to her too..

Hi all You Alma St. people had a great time looking at the piccies - we used to live at No.52 right next door to the shoe menders next to that was a shop owned by Fosters where us kids used to go and buy mars bars (which incidentally were too big for us to finish in one go - reckon they've made em smaller now) I was born there and we left about 1962 to go to Kingstanding, mom and dad used to use the Alma Tavern and the Sally. Our name was Broadfield anyone know us??

Hi interesting photo can just about spot where our house was, I don't think we went to that party I think we went to New Street. I can remember mom bought me a pink satin dress and lovely white ankle socks - posh aye.

Does anyone know Anne Shephard (spelling) she had a brother called Stan they lived by the bus stops at the lower end of Alma Street.

HI Emmachisit
just going through the old threads and looking at your thread
when you said you could not see things through the windows and stopping for your wood bines fags and you mentioned the steammy cafe widows ,well that was my uncle charles cafe he was one of the jelfs brothers in fact my grandfathers brother
ernie jelf he had lichfield rd and the two on at aston cross george had one somewhere by the snow hill station ivy or should i say mary annjelf at tyburn rd
thanks for the memory astonian;;

Does anyone remember Fosters sweet shop probably about No. 50 ish and we used to go in there my two brothers and me and ask for sweets till Mom came home from work and she would settle up at the week-end, mom never complained and there was Herberts on the corner.

Anyone remember my Dad Ted(Teddy) Rose who lived at number 46 with his Mom and Dad and his sisters Rita & Beryl through the 20's to early 60's? I lived there too from 1958 to 1961 when at three years old me and my mom and dad moved out to Lichfield.
Sadly my Dad passed away in November 2007 but it would be great to hear from anyone who knew him?
Thanks
Eddie

I am 51(born in 1958). My Dad was born in 1923 and was 84 when he died. He really did not talk an awful lot about his childhood until he became ill. I do remember him talking about a man who lived in Alma Street who was known as 'Posh Price' because he always wore white gloves!

No sorry still cannot help, my parents might have known him, mom died in 2001 aged 85, my surname was Broadfield, but I know that wont help you either. But it is nice to commune with people from the area.

Correction to my post #24, 24th May 2006 (Family Search don't always get it right.)

My Gran married her first Husband William Baron he was living at 2 back of 135 Alma Street Aston Manor 6th February 1895 not 1898 as stated.

Anyone know that address?

My Gran had a little sweet shop in Asylem Road which no longer exists her name was DeRoache. Can anyone recall?

Went a ride down memmory lane yesterday. Actually it was Summer lane and Alma street to a 6th form colledge. I was amazed at the amount of greenary there was and how well kept the area is. Have not been that way for years. Should have taken my camera. Jean.

Went a ride down memmory lane yesterday. Actually it was Summer lane and Alma street to a 6th form colledge. I was amazed at the amount of greenary there was and how well kept the area is. Have not been that way for years. Should have taken my camera. Jean.

Funny you should say that.I too went down Alma street & Summer Lane a couple of weeks ago,in fact I went on the 29 April,after the Mike Hailwood gathering,and again last weekend,for the first time for nearly 50 years,and I did take a load of photographs.The first thing I came across was the part-demolition of the Crocodile works,and while I must admit there is a bit of greenery,I think the whole area looks somehow very sad and forlorn.Heading towards the city along Summer Lane,once past John St. West,it all appears totally neglected,sorry if I' m offending anybody,but all around are empty decaying neglected buildings,every pub except the Stag is boarded up,factory buildings are standing with broken windows,the whole character of the area has gone.I lived there throughout the fifties and I can recall what it was like.Yes,it was a bit rough,but it was a thriving area,now it is a ghost town.Talking to a couple of workers,they reckon nearly the whole area is awaiting demolition.Does anybody know anything about this? It all seems very sad..........Mal.

Mal maybe it was because they were cutting the grass and going round litter picking. I probably saw it on a good day and the sun was shing. It was the amount of grass that surprised me but we did get lost at one stage. TTFN. Jean.

Jean R in the month is the best time to eat fresh Mussels the old saying goes, but that applies only to North Sea kind.
I eat them all the time out of jars

Hey Alfie have you got your threads mixed up. There's no North sea up Alma street. Thanks all the same. Mom always said don't eat pork if ther's an [can't remember] in the month. Jean.

2 pics of alma st...the first one is setting off on an outing the 2nd one is of the locals in the alma tavern

lyn

Thanks astoness, it is a wonder my dad was not on the outing one or the pub gathering either. The large gent on the far left was a Sammy Morris and I think that mom is the 3rd on the right in the pub just about see her . I have seen this one before but not sure where. Thanks again.

I lived 40 alma street from 1941 when i was born until 1955 .My mom was winifred salter and my dad charles salter .My name was doreen . does any one remember the outdoor next door but one from us mrs cottrell ran it .Opposite our house was a bicycle shop.

Hi dlkrt100, We lived at No.52 Alma street I was born in 1944 and we lived there until 1962 - ish,my Dad's name was Charles Broadfield and mom was Rosina Broadfield, me - Diane and brothers Roy and Terry. Had forgotten all about the outdoor until you mentioned it and mrs cottrell, do not remember the bike shop. Do you remember the boot repairers (next door to us) and Fosters shop next door to boot repairs. There was a lovely girl used to live over the road from us her name was anne shephard she had a brother called stan. Who else do you remember have you seen the picture of the salutation and the alma tavern on the site?

Cant remember boot repairers.Iwent to alma street juniors school.Doreen salter and my sister Margaret went there till i went to burlington street seniors.Till we left 40 alma street in 1955.

Back