• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"old saying"

• Thread starter margaret sheridan
  • Start date
:D Hi John Polly is also short for Pauline - Was called Polly as a child because I talked a lot :roll: (Polly Parrot) I still do talk a lot so it had no adverse effect being called Polly and I was a 'Bird' after all :lol: :lol: :)

as I said my Nan was Mary Ann my Mom was Ethel and our neighbour was named Sarah so it does not follow a logical reason for Polly

I can't remember many sayings that my nan used to come out with, but I do remember she often used to call us grandkids 'tripe 'ounds'.

Never knew hwere it came from though.

Old Sayings

My Uncle Bun (short for Bernard) used to offer us a "cuckcuck" when we visited him and granny. It could have been a toffee, some dolly mixtures, liquorice lumps or ropes, gob stoppers - all sizes & colours, fish shaped sucks, jelly babies (we were assured they were all little boys for some reason) or sherbert dabs etc.
He was a very generous person and always had a stock of SWEETS - which, of course, he called "Cuckcucks".
PreWar days of long ago memories.
Anybody sell gobstoppers these days?

"all me eye and Bessie Martin" was something my late Mother in law used to say. Who on earth was Bessie Martin?!! Another thing she said was Done up like a poppy show"

A hug a day keeps the divorce lawyers away :D

I don arf mek yo laff reading these ,,

My mom used to love saying " have you got the time on ya cock"

My grandad used to call the girls "wenches"

Some of the words/phrases my Lynn knows and she was brought up in Cumbria so I dont think some are uniquely brummagen . but good for a laugh anyway .

My maternal grandmother was from Battle in Kent so we had a few others like going round the "Jonny Horner" and "up the apples and pears "

Brummie Sayings

We kids were also called "tripe 'ounds at times and when miserable told we had "faces like fourpence" !!!!!!!

Whilst out this morning, wrapped up against the wind and rain, I struggled to get on my backpack bag and as my other half helped me on with it he said "come here, you look like a bag of rags tied up ugly!!!" another of his mother's sayings. :roll:

I just read your posting in childhood John, where you said, 'after a bit of blarting'. What a lovely old Brummie saying. :D

My Mom had a saying she used regularly - "Oh well, summat'll turn up if it's only me toes"!

All the other sayings mentioned in this thread were used by her also.  RodBirch - you mentioned elsewhere  about a sandwich being referred to a a 'piece'.  I always had one before bed as a small boy.  Attached is photographic evidence. Note the poker at side of fireplace and Moms handbag in its usual resting place. I wouldn't swap my humble origins for ANYTHING

Nice photo, silhouette53. What year would that be? I didn't know pyjamas came in anything but stripes. ??? The car's rather posh as well - is it a Buick?
car.gif

I'm guessing 1959. as I look to be about 5 -6 The car was red and was a friction motor thingy. Highway Patrol starring Broderick Crawford was running on TV and was one of my favourite programmes. I think the car was sold as a 'Highway Patrol' and it had a siren noise to it as well. It went everywhere with me - even to bed LOL

MY DAD'S REPLY TO ANY ONE WHO DID NOT UNDERSTAND " YOUR AS THICK AS TWO PLANKS".
OR WHEN OFF TO BED HE WOULD SAY "IAM OFF UP THE APPLES& PEARS".

Listening to John and Bob on WM yesterday, I heard a couple of sayings, one I've already forgotten :-[ but the other I still use. Mooch. If you don't know what it means you've never had a good mooch. ;)

My Mum and Grandmother always said "stop mooching" :2funny: :2funny:

Usually cause we were looking in cupboards for sweets, biscuits - generally stuff we shouldn't have been looking for as kids - or they'd say it if we were looking in sideboard drawers for something and perhaps shoudn't be looking in the drawers or where christmas presents may have been hidden ha ha

I haven't heaard that for years!! ;D

Di we have a recording of the show when Rod and Keith get back we might be able to convert to be listened to on the forum so keep your fingers crossed

to stop us having a blue fit try to keep to the threads please as some are going astray just start a new topic it's much easier to find thank you for your cooperation

Sylvia Sayers came out with a good one on the telephone.........

She said, His stomach thinks his throats been cut, when reffering to Ray who had not long returned and was presumably hungry.

When I was a kid, and it was time for bed, Mom would always say," Goodnight and Godbless".

When she saw someone happy and enjoying themselves, she would say," Now he's in his Oil Tot".  What is an Oil Tot ????? :( :( ??? ???

Yes I remember the "Oil tot". My mom used to use that expression. I know what it meant but I'm blowed if I know what it is. Well lubricated?
My dad used "up the wooden hill" at bed time.

I think OIL TOT must have some thing to do with drink, as the saying goes WELL OILED for some one who is drunk?
How about "IL BE A MONKEYS UNCLE " or evan "HEs PUT A SPANNER IN THE WORKS"

"WELL IL GO TO THE BOTTOM OF OUR STREET" & of course" THE MONKEY RUN" The place to find the girls, then theres " IAM GOING TO PLAY UP THE BOMBDIES" (That was the only play ground around in Tower Rd)

He'd get confused if you put him in a barrel and told him to stand in the corner  :2funny:
Sandwich short of a picnic
Brick short of the full load
Penny short of a shilling

Back