• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

TOWER ROAD ASTON B6

D

Dorothy Dodson

In the unlikely event that Michael Aspel will ever call with his RED BOOK - thought I'd do a send-up the following is "WOT A LIFE !" :(

April 19 1924 - this was the day that Francis Sheargold and Violet Beckett were married, at St James Church Aston., she was 21 he was 22. They had met 2 years previously, he was the only child of a second marriage, she was the 2nd daughter of a family who lived in Summer Lane. But when they met,Violet's parents were dead. And so that was how she finished up in the home of her in-laws at 110 Tower Road, Aston. :lol:

February 1937, and Violet, aged 34, was expecting her first child, she decided to scrub the front room lino, to be sure that everywhere would be clean before her confinement, and as she finished, and was struggling to her feet, she knocked the bucket of water over the floor. She went into labour that night 23 Feb, and her daughter was born the next morning 24 Feb - so this was my introduction to Tower Road. I was a 9lb bouncing baby, nearly killed my mom, as she was a petite lady. But what she lacked in physique she gained in mental agility. :D

Across the road was the newsagents, Perrys, at 107 Tower Road* and i remember that they would make a great fuss of me. Elsie their neice who lived with them, would take me out in my pram on Sunday mornings, usually she walked as far as Perry Hall Park, where I seem to remember that the soldiers were practicing on their rifle range.
* See Dennis Moody's Memories of Tower Road - the Perrys were in residence 6 times before his mum and dad. :!:

Sept 1939 Hitler :evil: starts his European tour, 1940/41? Tower Road along with most of Aston and Birmingham, take to the Anderson shelters. I dont remember being frightened at this time. In fact my mother used to pretend it was a game. But after the 11 hours raid over Birmingham, my mom decided that we would leave for the country, and she took me to Ashby de la Zouch, where my Aunt and two cousins joined us. I think we would have been there for about a year.

1942 I started my schooldays at Upper Thomas Street School. I went into the reception class, where Miss Ackrill was the teacher. I remember she called over a little girl named Joan Reynolds and told her to take care of me, which she did. I have just caught up with Joan again, but we have not actually met, but that is on the agenda. Hopefully for this year (2003). Miss Quartermain was the headmistress, and after the reception i went into Mrs Bowens Class, who we all loved. Then into the top class - Miss Rhodes of the sausage curls hair style, I also remember that she would pull up the trouser legs of the little boys and smack them soundly. I remember that the school was opened in the Summer holidays, for games and fun, to cheer us kids who were upset by the nightly visits from the Lufftwaffe. :cry:

May 1945 the war is over, and we all dance in the streets, I was 8 yrs old, and i remember the bonfires, and the bands and the celebrations, :D however we had to wait until August for Japan to surrender, when the atom bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. How could we know what we had gotten into? :!:

September 1948 - I start my secondary education at Vicarage Road Secondary Modern Girls school. Some of my friends from UTS also went there, Joan Reynolds, Anne Taylor, Colleen Faragher, to name but three. We were all friendly and happy. We still are. Anne lives in Aberystwth married to Dai for the past 44 years, Colleen lives in Quinton married to Tony for the past 25yrs (her second marriage). Sadly Joan is widowed (recently) but she was happily married to Ken. I have been married to Bill for the past 44 years, and we now live in North Wales. :lol:

November 1955 - I meet Bill at the Palace Dance Hall Erdington. He didn't know it, but i decided that night that he was going to marry me. :wink: I was wearing a teddy girl suit, Oatmeal with velvet collar, and I carried one of those long umbrellas, Bill mugged me for the umbrella and ran off down the High Street, with me chasing him, taking care not to catch him until we were at the bus stop. The rest is history. Bill lived in Erdington, but he got on the bus with me, and when we alighted at Aston Cross, the mixture of Ansells and HP sauce was a bit of culture shock for him, but he pretended not to notice. And asked me to go out the next night. We have been together ever since.

March 1958 - We get married at St James Church Aston. :lol:

Feb 1959 - Our first child makes his appearance - Stephen !0lb 3 oz - a rather difficult birth. But he was and is gorgeous. He is now a divorced father, with one daughter aged 16 who lives with him at Walsall. 8)

March 1962 our second son Michael is born - another hefty babe. He is now a colour sergeant in the Royal Marines. Married and a dad of Natasha aged 15 and Ben aged 10. 8)

June 1973 - and what a surpise! Robert is born, idolised by his brothers, and adored by all of us. He is presently living in London, a Civil Engineering Graduate with a masters. 8)

Hi Dorothy,

I really enjoyed your article, you mentioned Joan Reynolds, did she live in
Clifton Road, with her mother and one sister? In 1953/1955 I worked at
Atkinsons Brewery with Joan Reynolds and we would walk home together with Jean Rushton who also lived in Clifton Road the part between upper
Sutton Street and Potters Hill.

When you are next in contact with Joan ask her if she remembers Sylvia
Wallace (now Sayers) from those days. I lived in Copeley Street a small
cul-de-sac off Burlington Street.

Cheers

:p Hello Dorothy,
There was still a Mrs. Sheargold living opposite us at 110 Tower Rd when my parents ran the shop at 107 Tower Rd. Mrs. Sheargold had a Toy/Joke shop on Potter's Hill, which we kids visited regularly. I remember when her husband died in the 60's.

Dennis Moody

View attachment 971View attachment 973View attachment 972View attachment 971View attachment 972View attachment 973Any photos or memories of life in Tower Road ASTON BIRMINGHAM 6.
I lived in the middle part of this road next to the vinegar vats of H.P. It was a little home from home area we had our own outdoor, sweet shop , food shop, and news agents ,veg shop on the corner of upper Sutton st.We even had our own mission hall, which served us over the years as a place of worship, British restaurant, and annex for upper thomas st school, for which the latter, my mom was caretaker until its close when thomas st was demolished to make way for the Aston expressway.
to start you of I post three pics; one of my brother and I in the back yard of 173 the door on the right is the out side LOO. The other two also taken in the same yard, my brother in his upper thomas st football kit (note the boots & the building in the back ground the VATS THAT EXPLODED IN THE 1950S), The last one of my brother and pals, note the missing fence blown down in a bad storm a few days before.
HOPE YOU ENJOY & KEEP THEM COMMING. O0
MY_BROTHER____I__our____BACK_YARD__173_TOWER_RD_ASTON_.JPG

ASTON
DAVID___PALS_173_TOWER_RD_.JPG
THE BARON View attachment 972
MY_BROTHER__in_his_UPPER_THOMAS_ST_F_C__Football_Kit_.JPG

re add photosView attachment 971View attachment 973View attachment 972

Hi John it was the news agents run by a lady called Mrs Jabbot or Jabott? she was a widdow.
I am affraid my memory for names is not good, faces yes names no LOL O0

Found this one, take in the 50s of a car belonging to an Irish American how can to visit a family who lived over the road from our house. The Shop to the right was the sweet shop run by Mrs Kaddell or was it Kadell me & names? :idiot2:

Aston, my Grandad help set up a Mission Hall somewhere in Aston but I am not quite sure where.

I do recall that you climbed some wooden steps to go inside but my memory could be playing
tricks on me!!!!!!

I note that, like me you are not too good at remembering names, but I'll take a chance!!
His name was George Clegg

rowan, The name Clegg rings a bell I seem to remember a Mrs Clegg living just below us. I will ask my cousins as they are the oldest members of our famliy now, one live in Upper Thomas st, the other in Park Lane.
By the way the Mission Hall was named after Knox familys wife "Ellen Knox"

Aston...great photos. The detail is so good in the black and white shots. Love that Rocking horse...where did you get it from?...it's practically full size compared to some I've seen.
Happy days I'll bet.

We got it from Father Christmas LOL :D yes, it was at that time the best present we could have had. one thing our MOM & DAD always did was to give us a good Christmas.
Dad gave it way when they left to live in Castle Bromwich. that was when aston (Tower rd Upper Thomas st & the rest) was being cleared  for redevelopment.
So sad to see it go! :'(

Hi, My nan and grandad used to own the outdoor in Tower Rd their name was Rudge my Aunt Elsie lived next door then their was an entry then the newsagents Mrs Jabbot a few more houses then a greengrocers the ladies name was LIL I think her hubbys name was Roger. I will see if we have any photos if you like.

Hi Sandra: Was Jean Rudge any relation to your family? She was in my class at
Marsh Hill School, Erdington.

Hi Sandra, I lived over the road from your Gran Mrs Rudge & your Aunt & Uncle Elsie & Billy Dudell. I lived at 173. The photo I posted above of the limo was just two or three doors up from the outdoor & Mrs Jabbot News Agents shop, Malcolm used to play with my younger Brother David Jenney, they went to Upper Thomas St School at the same time,I do not have any pics of the road so please post any you have.
REGARDS ASTON

I'd missed this thread until now. The photo you all had a go at fixing 'Granny Coughlin' was taken I believe in Tower Road sometime in the late 20's early 30's. E.

This picture is of My Gran & Grandad Wooley in the back garden at Back of 155 Tower Road ASTON. Note the vinagar Vats on the left.This houes & garden was bombed out in the war, so my Grandparants move to the other side of the  Vats to one seven three Tower Road.
(This is my go at hand tinting of some of our family Photos to see if it gives more depth) O0
ASTON

This one s a Picture of My Mom & I in the same Garden, Tower Road ASTON 1939. :-[
you can see the vats of H.P. Vinagar Brewery on the right.
ASTON
keith_mom_1939.jpg

Last edited:
Found this one in my Mom & Dads photo collection its an unknown street party could be Upper Thomas St or Tower Rd,I estimate the time as being around 1930/40s. Cannot think what event though? My Dad is marked at the back left with the white spot over his head.
Can any one identify? :-\
ASTON

Aston I can't identify anyone in the photo, but there were two Royal events in the 1930s. In 1935 the Silver Jubilee of George V and Queen Mary, and on 12th May 1937 Coronation of Geroge V1 and Queen Elizabeth (later Queen Mother).

I have lots of memories of living at 2 back 181, Tower Road. Dad was Donald Draper. He worked as a lorry driver for the H.P Sauce. I was born in 1953 and can remember going to Upper Thomas St. Infants on the first day when I was 4. I insisted on walking myself to school in the afternoon. That school looked so big and the junior boys were HUGE! Because dad worked at the H.P, we often went to the Tower Rd. club. I used to be able to walk underneath the pool table without hitting my head. Was it MR. & MRS. Manton who were the ladlord & landlady? Dad used to have an allotment somewhere. When it came to runner bean time, our kitchen was steamed up like anything. The smell of them cooking still takes me back to our little kitchen. We didn't have a garden with grass. Just some slabs with a wooden shed for the budgies & an old chimney pot in which to have some colour. I wonder what mum thought of it all, when she came newly married from Norfolk?

watton , yes it was Mr & Mrs Manton, my cousin.‚.. Derek Matthews & I.‚.. played table tennis at the HP Club He & his wife Beryl both worked in the HP offices at the time.
I left Upper Thomas St in 1955 to work at the GEC Witton, lived.‚.. with My Mom & Dad up by the Mission Hall.‚.. at 173 next to the Vinagar Vats of HP.( I WAS THERE TILL 1962)
Do you remember Mrs Rudge at the out door or Mrs Kaddell at the sweet shop, Mrs Gabott? at the news agents.
All in the mid section of Tower RD.
This is a pick I took of our Tower Rd & Upper Thomas St Family members in the 50s.
ASTON

OUR_FAMILY_AT_173_TOWER_Rd_.JPG

The following posted pic's bring back fond memories: My pals playing in Tower Road (Note the gokart)you can see mrs Rudge's outdoor which was over the road from 173 were I lived untill 1962. ;)
The second pic is my dad & brother David packing the car out side the HP Vinagar car park gates ready for our Hol's. 8)
The 3rd pic is of us out side Helen Knox mission hall which was next to our house 173. ::)
The 4th pic is taken from my bedroom window of the HP Vinagar Vats,you can see the patch that had to be put in the side after the vinagar vat explosion in the 50s(on the right). :'(
ASTON

I have just tried to google photos of tower road to see what it looked like as my great great granmother lived there, and low and behold I log on and find all of these lovely photos, would these be the same as the houses she lived in as they look pretty old.

What years would that be? mariew,I now my Nan lived at the back of 155 Tower Road in 1920 & then 173 after they were bombed out in the 40s.My mom ,dad & my brother lived at 173 until they we rehoused in Castle Bromwich in the late 60s.
The houses never changed in that time.But when the Aston Expressway was built the demolishion started, ALL GONE NOW I AM AFRAID.

John got the address for me it was 175-155 tower road I think you probably read it 23 spraggs buildings, but I think the photos you posted the buildings look pretty old then, it is sad that they are all gone now, it's the same as my parents old house the house I was actually born in 3 back 140 nechells place they have all gone my mom was very sad to leave there she loved nechells.

Back