• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does anyone remember the organ grinder and his monkey

A

angie

I remember the organ grinder and his monkey in the middle of the town center,going back to the mid 60s,does anyone else remember him? or was it a dream :idiot2: :idiot2:

Don't remember that one - but I can remember seeing an organ grinder with a monkey up our street Westminster near Wellington Rd

I was told one of my ancestors had a pet monkey who tried to bath it - and it bit him - subsequently my ancestor died from infection Beryl M

Hi angie I remeber he was down the Bull Ring,also a man who use to go into a sack with chains on,it was not a dream.
Pat.

Yes PatO I remember him in the Bullring if I remember right he never wore a shirt and his top was covered with some sort of Oil :)

l seem to remember the organ grinder with his monkey on a lead at the corner of Corporation Street and New Street near to Cannon Street all those years ago.

Langstraat said:
re: "I remember the organ grinder and his monkey in the middle of the town center,going back to the mid 60s,"

I've been deceived, I thought angie was 25 ;)

Angie was once and myself ::)

i TO REMEMBER THE ORGAN GRINDER.hOW ABOUT THE MAN THAT SOLD MATCHES, ANDTHE OLD LADY WHO SOLD THE CARRIER BAGS.i THINK SHE SHOUTED "HANDY CARRIER" OR THATS WHAT IT SOUNDED LIKE !!!!!!

There was also a bloke who used to sell boot laces from a tray hung round his neck.^-^

My most vivid memory is the chestnut and baked potato seller by the #70 bus stop at Snow Hill Station.

I stood there in line for the bus every night, he did a great trade, especially late at night. :2funny:

Angela said:
i TO REMEMBER THE ORGAN GRINDER.hOW ABOUT THE MAN THAT SOLD MATCHES, ANDTHE OLD LADY WHO SOLD THE CARRIER BAGS.i THINK SHE SHOUTED "HANDY CARRIER" OR THATS WHAT IT SOUNDED LIKE !!!!!!

Angela Ernie & Postie
I remember them all Carrier Bag Lady mostly, how would she do today with all the bags we are given, the Irish have got it right gharging for all the bags O0

We also have to pay for plastic bags at two of the super markets we go to, so we have our own bags we take.

If John goes, he looks like Roy off Cornonation Street, as he likes the black one we have. :2funny:

Will still collect them as all the other stores give them away and sometimes we forget ours. They are great for cat litter though. ;D

GER22VAN if you trod the same path as me it was many, many moons ago !!! ;)

:angel: I remember the 'Hot Spud Man' by Snow Hill we would buy them after going to the Gormount Picture House on a Sunday night. Other Sundays it was the turn of 'The Pie Cart' at the other end of town depending what pic' we'd been to see.

Angela. That was many moons ago and she seemed to be there every time l was in town. l think her daughter must be in the rag market these days with the cry that she has.

Yes Chris my mates and myself must have visited them all in time. Standing behind the Spud Waggon taking more Salt that was good for you(So they say now) :-\ and having a lovely warm by the Fire on the Cold Evenings :D

We were talking about those lovely spuds recently. I used to get mine from road going down to New Street Station, can't rememeber the name. The cart they were cooked in was cast, and radiated heat as Alfie said. It was big too, I wonder where it lived when it when it was taken home. :-\

Di . l think the road you are thinking of was Stephenson Place and he had a pitch just around the corner from Waterstone's in New Street, l often used to go to him at the top of the hill. Some years ago we were walking to town along Curzon Street and out of Fox Street came a man pushing his Bake Potatoe Cart and as l passed Fox Street l look up there and there must have been a dozen carts at the side of the Street so thats where their home was. l am not sure if they are still around there but thats what l saw a few years ago ( could have been in the 1980's or later.)

Thanks for the name Ernie. :)

We've talked about baked poatos before, and iI think they are a thing of our past now. But with licences, and health and safety it must be a lot of bother, for what - more than a tanner a bag I suppose. Sad aint it. :'(

Di. l guess you are right about Health and Safety, but l wonder how many mishaps there were in the past but thats not the question today l suppose.

We have a Baked Spud Man in Ipswich Centre, Modern Cart but replica of the old ones complete with Bass fittings and sliding trays 8)

The old baked spud man has been reinvented Alf.  Most town centres now have one. In Tamworth we have a guy in the town square, and theres also one on a local retail park. Over in Lichfield I know of one too. Nowadays you can have a filling of your choice from curry to chilli, cheese to plain or with butter. I sometimes have a spud from the guy in Tamworth, it's about £2.00 with the filling which aint so bad really I spose, but a massive hike from the tanner spent in days gone by.

it's a long way from a tanner a bag to £2 for one spud Rod :)

We don't have any here in Cambs, just the awful smelling burger vans.

No potatoes on the street in Vancouver these days. It's hot dogs and onions with an underlying smell of grease! Lots of popcorn which is ok. They are very strict these
days with licences, etc.

:angel: We have a 'Hot Spud Man' here in Christchurch. He hangs around town sometimes in The Square, in High St Mall during the week, or in 'The Art Centre' Open Market at the weekend.
Like Rods man, he adds fillings if you want or just grated cheese on top. They would cost about One pound 50p in UK money.

Chris :angel:

Hello Angela, Yes

I remember the old woman selling carrier bags.  She had only one arm and used to stand outside Woolworth's in the Bull Ring--I can see her now--that would have been in the 50's --early 60's--I left Birmingham in 1964.
The old Bull Ring was full of 'character's" wasn't it

Cheers Ann Mamrie

:D O0

Back