• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chocolate Concrete

R

Rod

Remember this from school?

CHOCOLATE CONCRETE

8oz Plain flour
2 oz cocoa (or drinking chocolate - plain or flavoured)
4 oz sugar
4 oz melted butter

Mix all dry ingredients together
Add melted butter and mix together
Put into a 7" greased tin and cook - gas mark 3 for approx 45 mins.

Traditionaly served with Pink Custard

chocolate Concrete (pudding)

Chocholate concrete pudding was like a very hard short bread seved with hot custard, lovely. Anyone know how to make it?
School dinners were fantastic, well the ones at Cromwell Street School in the 60's were.

EARP this thread has been on here for ages......  hope it helps

I think its true to say eat was eaten with pink custard :D

Thanks Rodbirch. I'm still finding my around and trying to find time to get around to all the news on here.Thanks again. I will make it for my grand children their in for a shock when they try to break into it. lol xx

Thanks for that I so loved this at school ha ha
the best part was when you hit it with the spoon to break it and either the spoons bent - or the slice of concrete went flying across table to someone else boo hoo!!!
Great fun if someone else's slice came across table to you though and you ended up with two!!

I remember it being served with pink custard, too, and that custard had a taste all of its own. My sister and I often reminisce and wish we could get the recipes. Well now we've got the recipe for the choc concrete, does anyone know how to make the pink custard?!

I made Chocolate Concrete with the recipe given , sweeter than I remember it but i enjoyed it. I used drinking chocolate, next time I will use cocoa powder.Thanks
Yes I remeber it being served with pink custard. ;)

::) Finallyl got round to trying it but it wasn't so good as I remember it! What! Who said I can't cook?!! :2funny:

My mm was the school cook and she regularly brought 'spare' chocolate concrete home for our tea. I loved it.

They don't do school dinners like that any more,most days we had a pudding with custard or rice pudding with I think were prunes.

Wasn't this dish sometimes the only thing you would eat in school? Smash it up and mix it with custard, as long as you took the skin off first?

Lovely jubbly!

Thanks heaps for the recipe, I've been looking for it for donkey's years, I found a similar one but it wasn't the same.
I shall definitely make this now. :wave:

Bartman,

Chocolate concrete yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.Cat:grinsmile:

Hey, :wave: who has the recipe for this fabulas school pudding then and would you like to share, i have looked for years for this recipe but never found it, and if i have found it it's not the same so come on folks, it's good to share :grinsmile:

Dummy

Sorry dont mean to be a dummy, am new here and still finding my way round, have found the recipe, will try it tomorrow, thanks

No worries, I'm new myself, I only found it because I saw the refference and searched the thread for it. :)

They still have Chocolate Concrete on the menu at Baverstock School, Maypole Sue, my step-daughter is cook there.
Amounts are a little different to Rods, plus the addittion of eggs to the ingredients

5.5 lbs of S.R. Flour.
4.5 lbs of Sugar.
4.5 lbs of Butter.
8 ozs Cocoa.
8 eggs.

Mix flour, sugar, butter, and eggs in large mixing bowl, add melted butter, divide mixture between 6, 3 inch trays.

This amount will give 120 servings.

Colin

What has been anyone else's experience of the recipe?

I found that there wasn't enough liquid to mix the dry ingredients together properly and so I added more melted butter.

When it was fresh it was lovely, just like crumbly chocolate shortbread and I served it with creme fraish.
Tonight we finished off what was left over, this time with custard but it had gone rather tasteless.

So I decided that when I make it again I shall add an egg or two to the mixture, because I think that would improve it no end. :)

I must've gone to a really posh school, cuz I remember having green ('peppermint') custard with chocolate concrete... and it was yummy! ;)

chocolate concrete mmmmmmmm was memorys it brings back :)
i work as a catering assistant in a kitchen catering for wearhouse staff
last week our chef made chocolate concrete with pink custard or green mint custard
what happy memorys it bought back for me and we couldnt keep up with the orders it flew out of our canteen we could have sold it 20 30 times over

From what I recall it usually flew across the dining room as you finally got the spoon ot break through it ;)

I never had school dinners was it that awful Mabz?. My lads used to take lunch boxes but when they did have a school dinner they almost always caught for that pudding. [Am I imagining it or has your avator change JUST]?. Jean.

They still have Chocolate Concrete on the menu at Baverstock School, Maypole Sue, my step-daughter is cook there.
Amounts are a little different to Rods, plus the addittion of eggs to the ingredients

5.5 lbs of S.R. Flour.
4.5 lbs of Sugar.
4.5 lbs of Butter.
8 ozs Cocoa.
8 eggs.

Mix flour, sugar, butter, and eggs in large mixing bowl, add melted butter, divide mixture between 6, 3 inch trays.

This amount will give 120 servings.

Colin
You must really love it

Back