• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chocolate Concrete

R

Rod

Remember this from school?

CHOCOLATE CONCRETE

8oz Plain flour
2 oz cocoa (or drinking chocolate - plain or flavoured)
4 oz sugar
4 oz melted butter

Mix all dry ingredients together
Add melted butter and mix together
Put into a 7" greased tin and cook - gas mark 3 for approx 45 mins.

Traditionaly served with Pink Custard

chocolate Concrete (pudding)

Chocholate concrete pudding was like a very hard short bread seved with hot custard, lovely. Anyone know how to make it?
School dinners were fantastic, well the ones at Cromwell Street School in the 60's were.

EARP this thread has been on here for ages......  hope it helps

I think its true to say eat was eaten with pink custard :D

Thanks Rodbirch. I'm still finding my around and trying to find time to get around to all the news on here.Thanks again. I will make it for my grand children their in for a shock when they try to break into it. lol xx

Thanks for that I so loved this at school ha ha
the best part was when you hit it with the spoon to break it and either the spoons bent - or the slice of concrete went flying across table to someone else boo hoo!!!
Great fun if someone else's slice came across table to you though and you ended up with two!!

I remember it being served with pink custard, too, and that custard had a taste all of its own. My sister and I often reminisce and wish we could get the recipes. Well now we've got the recipe for the choc concrete, does anyone know how to make the pink custard?!

I made Chocolate Concrete with the recipe given , sweeter than I remember it but i enjoyed it. I used drinking chocolate, next time I will use cocoa powder.Thanks
Yes I remeber it being served with pink custard. ;)

::) Finallyl got round to trying it but it wasn't so good as I remember it! What! Who said I can't cook?!! :2funny:

My mm was the school cook and she regularly brought 'spare' chocolate concrete home for our tea. I loved it.

They don't do school dinners like that any more,most days we had a pudding with custard or rice pudding with I think were prunes.

Wasn't this dish sometimes the only thing you would eat in school? Smash it up and mix it with custard, as long as you took the skin off first?

Lovely jubbly!

Thanks heaps for the recipe, I've been looking for it for donkey's years, I found a similar one but it wasn't the same.
I shall definitely make this now. :wave:

Bartman,

Chocolate concrete yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.Cat:grinsmile:

Hey, :wave: who has the recipe for this fabulas school pudding then and would you like to share, i have looked for years for this recipe but never found it, and if i have found it it's not the same so come on folks, it's good to share :grinsmile:

Dummy

Sorry dont mean to be a dummy, am new here and still finding my way round, have found the recipe, will try it tomorrow, thanks

Back