• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parents of our parents.

You never know some one might remember harry payton from those very difficult years . harvington is still beautiufl isnt it ? Strange how these threads open up our memories isnt it ;)

yes the one by Kidderminster i don't know how long he has lived there i will ask the next time i speak with him.

Fred

this is my nan, who is with her 3 daughters the biggest one standing next to my nan is my mom who is 92 this year, the other daughters younger than mom have sadly all passed away, i love this photograph so much.
the other photo is of my mom and dad with my sister we guessing my mom was about 25 in this photo, my dad looked so good in his uniform didnt he?

My maternal Grandfather was wounded early August 1915 in Flanders and came back to the barracks on the Isle of Wight. Whilst there he and my Grandmother-to-be (living in Erdington) decided to get married before he was sent back to war. Here's the Certificate of the Banns from St Mary's Carrisbrooke. Spookily the vicar's name is T Storey Busher and my Grandmother's mother's maiden name was also Busher! She came from Bethnal Green however so probably just a coincidence.
The photo shows them in their back garden in Bromford Lane with Midge their cat and the chicken pen behind them. I can remember when they had the deliveries of day-old chicks. They came in a wooden bread tray and I was amazed how little they were! My Grandparents look sad although as a boy I don't remember them being particularly unhappy. Maybe it's just the uncertainty of being in front of a camera.
He went on to serve in Gallipoli, Mesopotamia and India and came through 'till the end. I think he was one of the lucky ones serving from October 1914 to March 1924 without being killed.

Dave,

The certificate of Banns, that's a very nice certificate to have. You must be very proud of your grandfather's long service.

Ann

Ann
Thanks, yes I'm proud of his service, I was told that it was fairly unusual to have someone start at the very beginning and go right through.
I've been up to the Royal Warwickshire Regimental Museum in Warwick and the archivist found him in some old ledger which was very finely handwritten detailing soldiers re-enlisting after the end of the War. It gave lots of info including his medals and campaigns. Also it shows the actual dates of when he initially joined and when he discharged and re-enlisted. I photocopied the 2 big (A3) sheets from this ledger.
The Banns certificate was hanging up in a frame behind my Aunt's bedroom door and I'd never seen it before. She gave it to me a few weeks ago.

David lovely reading. Petes dad also made it through although he wasn't old enough to join in the war. He unfortunately inhaled mustard gas and was left with a bad stammer and a nervous disorder. He was classed as being one of the lucky ones. Jean.

I have so enjoyed catching up with this thread again & seeing all the wonderful photos. Does anyone else have this thought that one day.....there may just be someone on these photos that you know, a relative that's yours perhaps?? I'm thinking of one of my missing relatives in particular....it would be so brilliant if she turned up one someone else's picture. Or is it just me that lives in hope??:)

It happened on one of the pub threads Dolphie to Frederick and Caddau. It was Anne B's photo that they spotted it on. Watch out for the September issue of Brumagen. Jean.

Jean,

I was just looking for the thread for Dolphie. It was on Our Parents Pics page 12 and 13. I'd put on a photo of my family in The Red Lion, and Cadeau spotted his uncle on it. And Cadeau's uncle was Frederick's dad. It could easily happen again.

Ann

Dolphie,

I would love it, if any of my mom's side of the family turned up on here. Mom's mom died during the Great Flu Epedemic in 1919, and mom was then brought up by another family. I have their names on Genes Reunited, and I would be over the moon if another descendent turned up with photos. Someone probably has photos of my nan and her parents. I would just love to see them. So let's keep on hoping!

All the best Ann

Lovely photo. The front step was often the seat used to have a natter to neighbours wasn't it Frederick?.

Nice Piccy fred .
Yes I spent most of my time as a kid sitting ion the front step . I am afraid tho I had a lisp when I was about 3 year old and the neighbors used to ask me what I was doing and Id say to them in a loud clear voice .. Im ....ting on the step !!! they would all say aweeee .
All my neighbours I called aunty BTW did anyone else do that ?

Catsclaw only talking about this the other day about children today call people by their first names where as us they would have been aunty or uncle somebody. Jean. Punch looked a faithful dog like the one sitting on my feet at the moment.

Yes Jean we were brought up to be very respectful to our elders as kids .. its very odd .. some people wed call Mrs .. eg Mrs Rose in the shop or Mrs mac who used to live in the court in willis street . Then there was Aunty Ethel moms nextdoor neighbour she and other neighbours sometimes kept an eye out for us :) Good days eh
Jean

Back