• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

burbury st park

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. myself and keith acton took a trip down the old end yesterday. as keith used to live in defford road which was next to the park we thought we would go and have a look at where the old park was and his road. here are a few pics. the 1st one is of what used to be the park keepers house. how nice to see it is still there. no 2 pic is of the stone that is inset in the wall of the house.

this entrance was not there when we were kids but how nice that the original tops off the old pillars were kept and another pic of the house.

last but not least this is keith standing in what was his back yard an the exact spot of his outside privvy. the building behind is that of friends hall in farm st. hope you like these pics it was great taking them. wales.

Wales, brilliant photos bought back so many memories, my second home was burbury park, when i lived in wheeler street

glad you like them lindev. we enjoyed going round the old end. we are lucky there a still a few landmarks left which enables us to pinpoint where certain roads and houses used to be. wales.

Wonderful Lyn. I must have been in there almost every day after school when I was in the juniors at Burbury Street. I remember the roundabouts and swings well. I was puzzled looking at the photos of Keith as Deford Road was across the Road from the park but see, looking on Google that they have extended the park to the west. And on the other side

hi michael. glad they bought back some memories. thanks to friends hall still being there it was not difficult for keith to stand in his old privvy lol. yes we too noticed the park area had been extended to the bottom end of villa st where if i remember there is another entrance.

thank you for the maps michael. do you know i cant remember a band stand in the park. must be me age. lyn

thank you for the maps michael. do you know i cant remember a band stand in the park. must be me age. lyn

Lyn - the bandstand went years ago. There is a map that Michael posted previously (I think) that doesn't show the bandstand but does show the Electricity Sub-Station near to the Parkkeeper house.

keith

hi keith. great maps off michael. what i meant to say is i cant remember a band stand there when i was young. the pics of you have come out good. lyn

I am sure ther wasn.'t a Bandstand!, Thanks for the Pictures. I can rememberthe park keeper in the 40s , when I got married & lived in Perry Barr his son & family lived opposite us ,,

The photograph that wales posted was taken outside the main entrance to the park looking up Burbury Street towards the hostel on the junction of Guthrie Street.

keith

As a child I practically lived in Burbury Park with my friends. In the winter we would play football and in the summer cricket. My freinds and I knew every inch of that park.

After hours on balmy summers evenings when the gates were locked, we would climb over the spiked railings (for which I have a scar on my right knee from impaling myself) and generally hide and play in the boundary shrubs without the park-keeper realising.

I fondly remember walking through the park one wet and raining summer afternoon (things don't change) following a man when, my friend Robert noticed that he had stooped to pick-up a ten bob note. Rob whinged and said to me, 'If only we had been in front of him, it would be ours'?

Un-deterred I wet my eyes with spit to simulate tears and ran up to the man and asked in a crying, sorrowful voice, 'Excuse me mister, did you just find my ten shilling note - my mom will kill me, it was for coal'? He replied with a smile, 'Don't worry, you are very lucky - here it is son'.

I respectfully thanked him and ran-off with my old mate Robert to the nearest shop to buy some chocolate..... Am I ashamed of my deception???? Noooooooo way..... We were taught to live off our instincts in those days.

By the way - we had 5s each, of which I gave my mom the remaining 4/6d.

Oh how I loved that park....... keith

Keith, really enjoyed your story about the park, was the sheds there when u played in there, can u ever remember kids falling out at that park because i cant, everyone played together, what names can you remember from the park,

Keith, really enjoyed your story about the park, was the sheds there when u played in there, can u ever remember kids falling out at that park because i cant, everyone played together, what names can you remember from the park,

I do remember the shed (shelter). I used to climb over the MEB sub-station to fetch our cricket ball.

The names that spring to mind are the Vincent, Payne, Davis, Donnelly and Jarvis.

keith

hi keith, cant say i can place any of the names u mentioned, but please keep your stories coming and any photos you may have.

Great pictures Wales. I used to use the community centre there and play on the gravel football pitch. Just this week had contact with the old caretaker and his family, great memories.

Hi Lyn

As I have as far as I know never seen this park in the past or now, I am not in a position to know if this is indeed the park in question. I am told that this is Burbury st Park and that it was taken in 1965. I have no doubt that either yourself or someone else will recognise it.

Phil

Attachments

• Aston Burbury St Park 1956 .jpg
    Aston Burbury St Park 1956 .jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 52
hi phil. wow it is it i am sure.. thats the lucas factory in the background. when mayfield sees this i am sure he will confirm it. thank you so much.

lyn

Hi Lyn

As I have as far as I know never seen this park in the past or now, I am not in a position to know if this is indeed the park in question. I am told that this is Burbury st Park and that it was taken in 1965. I have no doubt that either yourself or someone else will recognise it.

Phil

Phil, the photograph is definately Burbury Park looking across from the corner of Gordon Street/Berners Street. The large building directly in front is Lucas's. I have many wonderful boyhood memories of the park shelter, but we wont go into that............

thanks keith i thought it was the park. thank you again phil as this is the only pic i have of it from the days when i used to go there and play.

lyn

hi judy.. yes thanks i am a feeling a bit better.. just got to take it easy for a while.... i was so pleased to see the pic of burbury st park as i had been trying to find one for ages...seeing it like that with the lucas factory in the background brings back so many good memories.

ttfn

lyn

Hi all. I've attached a couple of my family pictures taken in the park in about 1953 which may be of interest.
My nan (with the dog) lived in Berners Street but I don't know in which direction the camera is facing. Over my aunt's shoulder can be seen a sign which reads --nforth Bros if that is any clue!

Bob

hi bob...what great pics...especially as they show the houses....i cant say which direction they were taken but when mayfield sees them he may have a better idea...

cheers..

lyn

hi bob...what great pics...especially as they show the houses....i cant say which direction they were taken but when mayfield sees them he may have a better idea...

cheers..

lyn

Lyn, thanks for the vote of confidence. Bob, I am confident that the directions are those shown on the map below.

In photograph 1, the children behind your aunt are playing near to the shelter. Hope this helps? Mabz

View attachment 47671

Last edited:
Back