• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

burbury st park

hi keith...i cant open the attatchement...would the houses behind bobs pics be gordon road or am i way off the mark....lol

lyn

Thanks for responses. It looks as if we are all eagerly awaiting a 'valid attachment' !

Bob

hi all...we are always looking for any photos of the park so if anyone has any would be happy to see them..

lyn

Hi Bob photos of your Aunt and Nan are great, I lived in Gordon st and your Nan has her back to the bottom end of Berners st, in the top left hand corneris where Gordon st meets Berners st with Mary Hallards shop on the corner and Nelly Rileys shop opposite on Berners st. Just below o the right a few doors down was the old coal yard. The lady with the baby is facing the island where the old band stand stood and when it was taken down they planted rhododendrons in its place. In between that island and the swings was a large drain grid which regulary overflowed into what us kids thought was a fantastic paddling pool, I can remember getting my cossi on and trying to swim in it, so much for moms warnings..."dont go by the the miskins" (dustbins) and "stay away from the suffs" (DRAINS) The memories of the fun we had is priceless

morning topsy..im afraid i cant open your attachment...i used to go to friends hall when i was at farm st school...

lyn

well done tospy...youve managed it....as you probably know friends hall is still there...happy days...

lyn

I was the park keepers daughter 43 years ago we were there when all the work started on the park when we moved in there were railings all round the park and park gates which had to be locked every night and a parkies hut with a bell which I used to ring to say the park was closing

I was the park keepers daughter 43 years ago we were there when all the work started on the park when we moved in there were railings all round the park and park gates which had to be locked every night and a parkies hut with a bell which I used to ring to say the park was closing

So it was you mazted that spoilt all our fun..... We hated the park closing, especially in the summer. Mabz

A Lot of the kids still climbed over The Railings me included .... How ever we risked those Spikes i will never know.
Mazted when did you leave The Park?

burbury20st20park201956.jpg

Great photograph taken at the main entrance in Burbury Street. For information, the corner shop behind the sign was a barber shop in the 60's which was situated on the corner of Defford Road and Burbury Street. Mabz

thanks mabz..just goes to show that we never know when these photos will turn up

lyn

I bet that Parkie was so proud of the park posing in front of the lovely flower bed........BurburyStreetNewtown-25-10-1964.jpg I think this was the barbers Mabz. It was one of Lyns off the Burbury St thread.

Yes Topsy - I lived in Defford Road which was opposite the main entrance gate by the Parkies House. On the opposite corner to the barbers shop was a Wool Shop then Adam's sweet shop and the newsagents. I used to walk past these shops every day going to Farm Street primary School & later Harry Lucas Secondary School.

For information, the sapplings on the photograph with the park-keeper are now strapping trees.

Mabz

As a child I practically lived in Burbury Park with my friends. In the winter we would play football and in the summer cricket. My freinds and I knew every inch of that park.

After hours on balmy summers evenings when the gates were locked, we would climb over the spiked railings (for which I have a scar on my right knee from impaling myself) and generally hide and play in the boundary shrubs without the park-keeper realising.

I fondly remember walking through the park one wet and raining summer afternoon (things don't change) following a man when, my friend Robert noticed that he had stooped to pick-up a ten bob note. Rob whinged and said to me, 'If only we had been in front of him, it would be ours'?

Un-deterred I wet my eyes with spit to simulate tears and ran up to the man and asked in a crying, sorrowful voice, 'Excuse me mister, did you just find my ten shilling note - my mom will kill me, it was for coal'? He replied with a smile, 'Don't worry, you are very lucky - here it is son'.

I respectfully thanked him and ran-off with my old mate Robert to the nearest shop to buy some chocolate..... Am I ashamed of my deception???? Noooooooo way..... We were taught to live off our instincts in those days.

By the way - we had 5s each, of which I gave my mom the remaining 4/6d.

Oh how I loved that park....... keith

hi ya keith....i have got 3 new to the forum photos of our park...im sure they will bring back even more memories to you...will post them very shortly..

lyn

LITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 005.JPGLITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 002.JPGLITTLE KING ST AND BURBURY ST PARK 003.JPGhere you mabz...best i could do as its not easy taking pics of pics....these are all dated 1958...these are the best ive seen yet..as you know they will enlarge when you click on them...enjoy..

lyn

Last edited:
Great pictures Lyn. I spent many hours playing football on that pitch at BURBO (our name for it). I bet there was as many as 20 a side sometimes. Moss

hi moss and topsy...happy days for me as well....its good to see that the park is still there..must pop down soon and have a look at it again..

lyn

Great photographs Lyn - I lived in the park as a kid. Football throughout the winter and cricket throughout the summer months. How we hating the parkie ringing the bell when it went twilight during those summer evenings........ Mabz

just for clarity of the photos on 54..

think i am right in saying that on pic 1 we have gordon st running across...berners st to the right of it and lozells st to the left...

pic 2 will show the bottom end of berners st which finished at farm st..the building you can see on the right is part of joseph lucas in farm st..

lyn

Last edited:
just for clarity of the photos on 54..

think i am right in saying that on pic 1 we have gordon st running across...berners st to the right of it and lozells st to the left...

pic 2 will show the bottom end of berners st which finished at farm st..the building you can see on the right is part of joseph lucas in farm st..

lyn

Lyn - you are correct. For information photo 3 is looking across the park to the barbers shop on the corner of Defford Road and Burbury Street. The building in the gap between the trees was the Lucas garage workshop. Mabz

Back