• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Did anyones parents or grandparents own a little factory / workshop in the 1980,s in Edward street Birmingham

changinman1

master brummie
Im trying to find some info about a small factory/ workshop that I worked at in about 81/82 when I left school , it was right a the top of the street by king edwards road opposite Abel Alarm company . It was ran by a husband and wife team i think , just me and those two guys .
 
Is this any use?
View attachment 230859
View attachment 230857

Part way through the article is this story
View attachment 230861
omg omg i think you have unearthed the diamond ,,,, ....the names escape me still but thats too co-incidental for it to not be the place that I worked in the 80s ... they must have been in their last few months of their lease of the workshop when I was there .....i cant think of anywhere else that it could have been so it must be the couple that I worked for . I dont know where they got 80 people from they they say were affected as there was literally just those two and me in our workshop . It would be amazing now to find out what happened to them after that and where they ended up , maybe it was part of the demolition plans for those buildings the reason they had to vacate , i dont remember them mentioning anything to me about this situation though . So id say this is nailed on that its the place that i worked at ....youre a superstar .
 
the article says its the demo of a dozen small firms put about 80 people out of work in total ..well done jan for solving the mystery

lyn
 
Last edited:
Is this any use?
View attachment 230859
View attachment 230857

Part way through the article is this story
View attachment 230861
what did the rest of the article say janice just out of curiosity ?? , also how could I trace this couple and or their children as I know that they had at least one daughter . I seem to remember them mentioning a school called either Longmeadow or Swanshurst so that must be where the family lived . Also from what I remember Frank used to be the master craftsman in setting up all the tools and engineering and Jackie was the organisation of the day to day business and administration . The small components the article mentions were aluminium , very very similar to this image but with a knurled flat face . latch.webp
 
what did the rest of the article say janice just out of curiosity ?? , also how could I trace this couple and or their children as I know that they had at least one daughter . I seem to remember them mentioning a school called either Longmeadow or Swanshurst so that must be where the family lived . Also from what I remember Frank used to be the master craftsman in setting up all the tools and engineering and Jackie was the organisation of the day to day business and administration . The small components the article mentions were aluminium , very very similar to this image but with a knurled flat face . View attachment 231011
I'll find and post the rest of the article.
Long meadow is at Shard End and Swanshurst is the other side at Billesley. Both are all girls schools
 
Back
Top