• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

Two substantial threads have nw been merged into this one thread, so there may be earlier, unseen posts. Viv.

Park Cafe on Lichfield Road in 1935. A few ghost signs visible. And looks like a B&B. Viv.

View attachment 172229
The cafe was at 533 Lichfield Road. In 1936 and 1937 they were advertising for a live-in girl or young woman in the local press as far afield as Sheffield and Derbyshire. In the 1939 Register the proprietor was Charles W Phillips.

Attachments

• Park Cafe Lichfield Rd.jpg
    Park Cafe Lichfield Rd.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 11
An article in the Evening Despatch on 18th August 1939 gives the location of the fire as on the corner of Waterworks Street and Lichfield Road and names the occupier of the premises as Mr B J Banning.
thanks for that,i thought it was but was not 100%

It is definitely on Lichfield Road and the overhead wire layout shows that it is on the long single track section.
A No 5 tram on a part of the Lichfield Rd where it was single track for some distance.
index.php

Well Viv & oldMohawk this one has us both puzzled! According to Robert Darlaston the No. 5 ran an inter-suburban route from Lozells to Gravelly Hill which closed in 1950 but I can't place this picture. It looks like a church or a chapel on the left but the only one shown in my Bartholomew's Guide is opposite Sutherland Street. Otherwise it could be the flat bit of Gravelly HIll leading to Six Ways. Wherever it is it's a smashing pic Viv but I'd love to know!

Last edited:
I think you will find this picture is the top end of Lozells Rd near Burberry St. or possibly the top end of Villa Rd head up to Soho Rd there was A single track on this section of 5 route. I dont think it’s Lichfield Rd

Last edited:
have to say ray it looks nothing like lozells road to me....far too much greenery

lyn

Post 461 is not Lichfield Road, that is nothing like the road I knew, it was all built up without any trees until it reached Salford Park, and that is not Salford Park area either , goodness knows where this is.

Post 461 is not Lichfield Road, that is nothing like the road I knew, it was all built up without any trees until it reached Salford Park, and that is not Salford Park area either , goodness knows where this is.
i agree john lozells road was and still is very built up

lyn

Would it be right to assume that the route 5 is Lozells to Gravelly Hill. If so probable route being Lozells Road, Victoria Road and Lichfield Road ?

Pedro, you're a mind reader. I was just going to post that I think it could be Victoria Road. I remember Mom (who was born just off Victoria Road) telling me how nice the road was at one time and there were some large houses there. Can you see anything that could be the building on the left on one of you maps please?

It is definitely on Lichfield Road and the overhead wire layout shows that it is on the long single track section.
phil if it is on the lichfield road ive no idea where abouts as it too was a built up area...all the photos i have and i have dozens taken at all different times show nothing like all those trees...will keep looking for a definitive location i am going to look through my victoria road photos next

lyn

Could it be Villa Road? It's not Lichfield Road or Victoria Road and I don't think its Lozells Road either. the number 5 did sometimes travel up the Tyburn Road to Holly Lane for the Dunlop workers and I don't think it's either one of them also.

phil if it is on the lichfield road ive no idea where abouts as it too was a built up area...all the photos i have and i have dozens taken at all different times show nothing like all those trees...will keep looking for a definitive location i am going to look through my victoria road photos next

lyn
Hi Lyn., these were my thoughts about it back in 2017. Phil
The pic showing the tram on single track in post#316 looks 1940s/1950s and here is a map (dated 1905) which shows a considerable length of single track between the marked red dots. One wonders how trams signalled each other to prevent a 'meeting' somewhere, particularly when it was foggy. There was a passing loop by the Priory Rd junction.
index.php

The only places where single tracks seemed to be on route 5 were Villa Road and Lozells Road. The extension to Dunlop were along Tyburn Road after the crossover for the terminus of the 5. The Dunlop extension was numbered 63.

Back