• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Back the the circle - I had lost the folder. Apologies for the quality of the picture and the hats and flares this is Foster Brothers on Kingstanding Circle, where many school aged children were dragged for their school trousers, from the dress I assume 1970's and there is a sale on too!.

View attachment 166785
Is this a slight improvement?Fosters Kingstanding Road (8)a.jpg

Last edited:
Back to a few shop fronts 33 Raddlebarn Farm Road, Hall Green, sash windows upstairs, nice Typhoo tea window advert , white lemonade rubbish bin a Wrigleys gum machine and a Notice Board

View attachment 166813
Here we are 2 vews of 33 Redstone Farm Road
First premises are still a shop (2014) and second now a house (2020).

Attachments

• 33 Redstone Farm Road HG -2014.JPG
    33 Redstone Farm Road HG -2014.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 33 Redstone Farm Road HG -2020.JPG
    33 Redstone Farm Road HG -2020.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 17
Heading a bit further north we have 45-49 Birmingham Road Sutton Coldfield in 1974, who remembers Bejam, innovative at the time for only selling frozen foods. Classic 1960 building with not much else to say !! Note that Halfords had moved out to the new Gracechurch Shopping Centre. There is also a "proper" pram as well.

View attachment 166815
This view is 2020 - the later view 2021 has a tented structure outside the restaurant (presumaby for outside dining) obstructing the view

Attachments

• 45-49 Birmingham Rd- SC- 2020.JPG
    45-49 Birmingham Rd- SC- 2020.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 29
59 Wattville Road in 1974, so much to see, from the right see how the windows have rounded tops to the panes and the oval window in the front door, next Charltons shoe repair which has seen better days but has a handwritten sign above the shop. Best is this shop proper window display no sign and Lyons and Typhoo tea window adverts. Moving left we have a couple of house with the white topping to the wall. Alos note each property has a different style of window layout straight top curved top etc.
View attachment 166817
A number of changes - no shops - the boarded up property is 61 and was the house on the right of the original photo.

Attachments

• 59 Wattville Road - 2019.JPG
    59 Wattville Road - 2019.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Finally tonight we have 65 Fallows Road in 1974 in this photo there are so many styles of ornamental brickwork, starting at the guttering, we have the drop shape with the round cross shape below, there is the window arch with keystone, window edge with carved star then a ornamental line going up and over the window. Next are a couple of lines of ornamental bricks in line with the window sill. Classic shop front with an old advert on the wall for Stotherts Cough mixture.
View attachment 166818
The house with the brown door is number 67 so the shop has gone.

Attachments

• 65 Fallows Road - 2020.JPG
    65 Fallows Road - 2020.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 15
This is a quick download of street scene photos, I don't think there is anything amazing so I will just give locations and year if I have it and avoid the waffle.
940A Stratford Road in 1974
940A Stratford Road - 74.jpg

48 Dartmouth Street 1980
48 Dartmouth Street -80.jpg

371 Holyhead Road 1980
371 Holyhead Road- 80.jpg

This next to the Crown and Cushion in Perry Barr 1977 ( said they were rubbish)
Next Crown and Cushion PB - 77.jpg
last one for the moment
junction of Church Road / Walsall Road Perry Barr
Walsall Road Church Road PB- 80.jpg

Later I will upload in one drop some more street scenes then another day the last of the Walls then return to the shops, with a few colour slides thrown in.

thanks

Last edited:
This is a quick download of street scene photos, I don't think there is anything amazing so I will just give locations and year if I have it and avoid the waffle.
940A Stratford Road in 1974

View attachment 167078

thanks

Can't get the same angle on streetview but instantly recognisable to me. The white pillar like structure is the edge of the bridge over the rover Cole by the College Arms pub. The vacant bit of land has been built on. Advert on the side of Druckers shop.

Attachments

• 940A Stratford Road -2022.JPG
    940A Stratford Road -2022.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 38
Can't get the same angle on streetview but instantly recognisable to me. The white pillar like structure is the edge of the bridge over the rover Cole by the College Arms pub. The vacant bit of land has been built on. Advert on the side of Druckers shop.
Familiar to me as well. Yellow van leaving Sarehole Road where I grew up. The lower numbers of Sarehole Road, where the van is turning into the Stratford Road, were the oldest and consisted mainly of undetached houses up to approximately number 110. Sarehole Road continued up to the Robin Hood Lane, at approx number 450, and I think the houses must have been built in 2 or 3 stages as the style and size seemed to improve as you went to the higher numbers.

Familiar to me as well. Yellow van leaving Sarehole Road where I grew up. The lower numbers of Sarehole Road, where the van is turning into the Stratford Road, were the oldest and consisted mainly of undetached houses up to approximately number 110. Sarehole Road continued up to the Robin Hood Lane, at approx number 450, and I think the houses must have been built in 2 or 3 stages as the style and size seemed to improve as you went to the higher numbers.
You can now only come down Sarehole and turn left onto Stratford Road. You cannot turn in from Stratford Road - the pavement has been built out.
1644154671694.png

Yes, I remember it being built, as I mentioned in my earlier post, it was the new DHSS offices for the area (I don't know what it is now). A friend of mine worked there.

Another quick image drop these are all advert hoardings on Pershore Road taken in 1972, I don't think there is much given away as far as location i concerned - but interesting to see what was allowed on adverts in those days3 Pershore Road - 72.jpg6 Pershore Road - 72.jpg8 Pershore Road - 72.jpg9 Pershore Road - 72.jpg10 Pershore Road - 72.jpg
as said previous we are getting to the dregs of some folders but are added for completness

Was Youngers Tartan ever sold in Birmingham? Known as heavy in Scotland(well, Arbroath anyway) I spent many happy hours under its influence,a great tasting beer.:yum:yum
Had I found it for sale in Brum I may have bought the pub,or at least moved in next door.

NoddKD. Not an alcoholic but enjoys good beer.

Good evening
a few shops tonight first we have 69 Alcester Road Kings Heath from 1969, this is Safeway before we went decimal so if you want kipper for 1/8, you know where to go. Nice selection of cars from a different era Vauxhall Viva near left and a Ford Anglia far right.

69 Alcester Road KH- 69.jpg

Next is 71 Junction Road in 1974, small shop on the end of terrace - Keelings Groceries and cooked meats, innovative use of corrugated iron as fence paneling next door, one sash window at the front upstairs and an advert sign on the front fence. Ford Cortina estate is the only vehicle in sight. I also noticed the brick paving with the cross pattern on it.

71 Juntion Rd -74.jpg

This photo intrigues me, nice row of houses front walls hedges, all with bay windows down stairs but one is a shop, no name but a corona litter bin by the front wall , advert space on the wall upstairs and goods in the window. Was it supposed to be a shop? Its seems to have had no adaptations to make it a shop as it is exactly the same as the other properties.

79 Woodland Road - 76.jpg

We now move to 86 -88 Warwick Road in 1974 and so much to see that isn't around any more - the number of tobacco adverts, the newspaper adverts, the sun blinds ready for the summer and the neon sign which we can imagine as been red. Note also the pram - but this is 48 years ago !!. see also the brickwork under the eaves and the ridge tiles. Interesting that the property next door (left) has a sun screen also. To the right is a clothes shop with the height of fashion in the window.

86 -88 Warwick Road - 74.jpg

This shop is a real shame - 91 Bordesley Green 1974 again, but from a different era, still trying to hold on to its past glories and just about managing it. From the plaque on the wall this is Norton Place - I imagine it refers to the row of shops. Love the shop sign and the advert and clock on the front. While still hanging on it has become a Cash and carry alkthough there is still a Typhoo tea signs in the window.

91 Bordesley Green - 74.jpg

Finally something different, Wire Wares (Birmingham) Limited which was on the corner of Kyotts Lake Road and Grafton Road, fine summers day, fine brick built factory with metal window frames and interestingly shaped frontage . Not many cars out front, as usual with the slides I have no year - thanks for looking and thanks for all the comments and addition street scene images that complete the pictures

Test219.jpg

This photo intrigues me, nice row of houses front walls hedges, all with bay windows down stairs but one is a shop, no name but a corona litter bin by the front wall , advert space on the wall upstairs and goods in the window. Was it supposed to be a shop? Its seems to have had no adaptations to make it a shop as it is exactly the same as the other properties.

The 1956 and after Kellys lists 79 Woodland road Northfield as both Woodland Car services, taxi cab proprietors and as S & B Hughes , commercial artists
This seems likely as might not look like a shop. However Google shows 79 not looking like this. However 79 Woodland Road Handsworth is rather modernised, but is probably it. That was once a continental grocer

Last edited:
Finally something different, Wire Wares (Birmingham) Limited which was on the corner of Kyotts Lake Road and Grafton Road, fine summers day, fine brick built factory with metal window frames and interestingly shaped frontage . Not many cars out front, as usual with the slides I have no year - thanks for looking and thanks for all the comments and addition street scene images that complete the pictures

View attachment 167360
That was once part of the tram depot

View attachment 167360
nice to see its still standing

Back