• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Hi All.,

I was bowling an old tyre down Carlton Road towards Green Lane when I met my cousin who also lived in Carlton Road. I stopped to say "Hallo" to her but the tyre carried on' I gave chase but was too late and the tyre hit a cyclist knocking him off his bike. Fortunately there was no bus or other vehicle following him The cyclist was not hurt but I have never heard such language directed by an adult to a young boy before or since.

Old Boy

WE AINT BEGGING. ( and that's begging ).
" Got any Gum Chum ".
1942 ish. About this time we kids began to see numerous American Soldiers ( Yanks ) around Kingstanding. They ( the Yanks ) proved to be, in the main, a very friendly and generous collection of new ' grown ups ' now in our area.
Straight approach by some of the kids, at the time , was a " Got any Gum Chum " request. There was no ' lead in ' or
' pre-amble ' involved. Didn't seem right somehow.
I remember our little group / gang of kids, for whatever reason, viewed this as straight forward ' scrounging / begging '
and we desisted this temptation .
On reflection ( comical to re-call now ) I think our gang were being a wee bit cynical because we were not averse to acts of
scrounging in other area's of our everyday adventures at that time, but it seems that we viewed ourselves ourselves as having to ' earn it ' in some way or other.
Note : There were occasions when we did little acts of assistance for the Yanks. We carried messages to and from their local girlfriends. We did a bit of ' fetch and carry ' as in nipping over to the ' chippy ' and bringing them bags of chips whilst they were having a glass or two over at the Kingstanding Pub.
As I've already mentioned, these new ' grown-ups 'on the block were very generous and very friendly and I'm still pleased to this day that our gang did a bit in return to earn their ' Yank rewards '.

The playground ' UP - AND - DOWNER ' .
Occasionally School play ground disagreements, between a couple of the kids, would blow up ( a wrong word spoken maybe, something that had been simmering for a while or that one to many verbal dig would spark it off ) .
Voices raised, bit of pushing and shoving and then that typical opening challenge of " Oh Yeah, you'll do what ? " began the next part of the altercation .
The other kids in the playground would become aware that there was something going on and a crowd would begin to gather ( not too close to get involved but close enough not to miss anything ).
The ' Combatants' square up ( almost perfect copy stances of the experienced pugilistic ). Some more of " You'll do what "
goes on and then typically one of the contenders steps forward and tries a ' swipe ', half misses, and now they go into into the ' bear hug ' routine. A couple of twirls and they are now rolling and wrestling on the floor. Lots of pulling,puffing and grunting goes on for a while.
UNTIL. ( now the turning point ).
One of the teachers arrive to ' break it up '. The crowd disperses ( wasn't much of a show after all ).
Now off to the Headmasters room for the culprits where they are given a verbal dressing down and maybe a bit of backing it up from the ' Cane '.
Now the two kids begin to count the ' cost ' of their school playground clash.
TOP SWEAT for both is what Mom and Dad are going to say, or do, about the ripped shirts and the ripped coat pockets that have been incurred for both during the ' scuffle '.
Fingers are stinging a bit from the effects of the Cane. Not bothered too much about that. Main thing for them both was that they didn't cry.
Not good to go into the Headmasters black book, both had kept a clean sheet up till then.
Oh heck though, what's going to happen when they get home and the Moms see the state of their clothes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
" CAN YOU TAKE ME IN PLEASE ".
1940's. Another tale about the kids.
They had spotted that the new film showing round at the local Cinema had two of their favourite film stars in it and looking at the photos being displayed outside the Cinema it was going to be a really great film to watch. They reckoned that they had enough pocket money between them for the entrance fee to get in BUT THERE WAS A BIT OF A PROBLEM.
Unfortunately the film was ' Rated ' as an ' A ' ( Children must be accompanied by an Adult ).
They discussed the possibility of their own parents taking them but decided that this would not be an option.
WHAT TO DO.
They had seen some other children ' cadging ' entrance assistance from adult Cinema goers on their way into the cinema.
Saturday Afternoon. Made their way round to the Cinema and then split up ( you couldn't be asking a pair of Adults to take five kids in , could you ).
They place themselves, as discreetly as possible, out of view of the Cinema foyer and begin their hunt for likely incoming Adults about to enter the Theatre.
" Excuse me Mister, I've got the money, can you take me in please ".
Two of them managed to get in to see the film. Three were not successful . Discussing the event later they realised that the adventure had not been as successful as they had originally anticipated. They decided from there on in ( when they had the money ) that they would stick to ' U ' rated films whereby they could enjoy the film showing ( without feeling guilty) and sit comfortably alongside each other.
They always enjoyed the " Bud Abbot and Lou Costello, the " Walt Disneys " and the " Laurel and Hardy " films anyway, didn't they . No problem.

Last edited:
NICE TIMES.
Here was a lovely time for children growing up in Brum. Here was the period when the kids participated in and were able to experience those special ' fresh air ' activities.
The frequency of Motor Vehicles around the new Brum estates was fairly rare and the streets at this time were invitation
playgrounds to the children. Not only the children had this world of freedom and fresh air right outside their front doors, it was also the same for their Canine pals ( their free running pet Dogs ).
Apart from School and sleep periods the children would meet up in the streets at every opportunity and play their games,talk their talk, make little plans and swap their fantasies and ideas.
The pet dogs were all part of the kids enjoyment and pride. It would definitely be one up if your dog was best at fetching the thrown Tennis ball back the quickest and dropping it at your feet or best at doing the ' disciplines ' of sit-up-and-beg,lie down, stay put and roll over.
Regarding the dogs. I think it would be true to say that many of the dog pets of this period were of the very mixed 'Mongrel ' variety and at this time there was no restrictions on pet dogs roaming the streets on their own.
Many families were able to open the front door early in the morning to ' let the dog out ' and wouldn't expect to see their dog back until the next ' feed time '.
Lovely times for the kids and their pets.

We had a lovely "collie crossed" as Mom called it. I loved to take him to Lightwoods Park, I was allowed to go on my own in those days as long as I took him with me. He liked to walk around with me whilst I was on the roundabout!!
My Nan's dog was forever wandering off and used to get on buses at the bottom of the road...they had no doors then.
rosie.

Our second dog was a cross with a Bull terrier, bought her from outside the Market hall in town when she was just a pup. My Mother used to open the front door and she would just stand at the top of our garden barking at anyone who walked past, never roamed unlike our present Rescue Staffie before we adopted her.

A nearby neighbour had a black labrador called "Nigger" (wouldn`t be allowed today) We kids used to play a lot with "N" & he never seemed to get tired fetching a ball or a stick. One day in Brookvale park when the lake was frozen over, we used to throw a tennis ball onto the ice & laugh at "N" slipping & sliding after the ball. & then to our horror, he went through the ice. We just stood there in silence watching this poor dog fighting for his life, a fight that he lost. We all ran off, horrified at what we had done, & not one of us had the courage to tell "N"`s owner what had happened. Still saddens me to this day.

Just back from a trip in the Colorado mountains. Stopped in Redstone saw something that brought back lots of memories. Coal ovens that made coke. I remember Dad used coke after coal for some reason anyone know? I remember as a nipper sitting with Mom, Dad and Sis Joan, in front of the coal or coke fire, roasting spuds and Mom got the best Danish butter for them, listening to the Armed forces network playing all the big American bands, Kenton, Basie etc, Yummy happy days those. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Colorado USAAspens Sept 2014 020.JPGAspens Sept 2014 020.JPG

Coal was rationed in wartime but coke wasn't, so your dad was probably making the fuel last longer. also coke was difficult to get started.

Nick

We used to have coke burning in the fireplace....my brother used to queue up at the gas works to get a quota....it was usually in the winter when coal was'nt easy to get or the winter was so long and cold it was more in demand than supply.....dad used to stoke the fire up with coke and a lot of times it would spit and sound like fireworks going off still it did its job in keeping us warm....would hate to go back to those days at trying to keep warm....some years ago my boys and l were beach combing and l we came across some" black stones " they had never seen coal and would not believe me when l told them they would burn, so we collected then up took them back to the house and started a fire in the back yard....oh the smokey smell made me think i was back in Aston......Brenda

I remember, on Bath Nights, Our Dad holding a copy of "The Mail" across the fireplace to make the fire "draw" so that the water would heat up in the tank. We kids used to scream with excitement as the newspaper used to glow, the burst into flames before Dad would crumple the paper up and shove it into the fireplace.
As I remember it, the fire would be started with coal, then coke would be added, coke provided more heat.
The normal fire was fired with "Nutty Slack", that was the rubbish stuff that would explode - such was the hazard that we had to have a fireguard to catch the flying fragments.
Remember the chillblains we got, toasting our feet in front of the fire ?

It's amazing how many story's I read on the forum, that mirror exactly my upbringing in "Brum" in the 40's and 50's, and how exactly the same, most working class family's lived, at this quite hard time after WW2. Paul

I think we have mentioned before about "draw-tins" but this reminded me! Ours had a hole in so Mom would put a sheet of Evening Mail against it which used to catch fire too. She would rake the ashes with the poker and then carry the ash tin out to the dust-bin or put them on the path if it was icy so that we didn't fall over on the way to the outside toilet!!
rosie.

Aspens Sept 2014 016.JPGThese are the coal ovens that they made coke in Redstone Colorado USA. I also remember Dad and the paper he would use to get the fire started. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA

We very nearly had a disaster when I was quite young, dad was drawing the fire and went out with the ash's bucket and shovel leaving me sitting on the chair, mesmerised with the roaring and scorching paper, when it suddenly burst into flames and some went on the carpet. I shouted and dad and mom came rushing in and put it out with a wet cloth, and whacking it with the little shovel. Dad took the smoldering "rag rug" which was in front of the hearth, outside. Something though I never remember us without a roaring fire when young, even when the coal was rationed, we were always warm, in winter, though no central heating, even when the windows frosted right up, how my dear old dad did it I do not know , we never had much money, bless him.Paul

Still preferring open fires to CH (although it is there for use on certain occasions) we still do use a newspaper to draw the fire if it is not going well.
Coke gave a wonderful heat bit sadly it became unobtainable when the local gas works closed due to the north sea gas arrival.

Now who remembers being told by politicians and others that the north sea gas would be so cheap they might even give it away. Some joke!! one which could only be said by a politician.

Our open fires in those days produced a lot of ash and near where I lived as a child was a very large ash tip on which Birmingham Council dumped all the ash from most of the households in north Birmingham. It was situated alongside Aldridge Road between Thornbridge Avenue on the Beeches Estate and Perry Barr Park. The height of the tip was level with the tops of nearby houses and it was always smoking with regular large fires started by spontaneous combustion which left voids causing surface collapses. We always received dire warnings about what could happen if we played on the tip. The M6 motorway goes over the site these days.

True. Coke was difficult to get started, but once it took hold.....Oh boy.....was it hot? We had a coke stove in the middle of our scout hut, and the whole thing would glow almost red. Health & Safety would have closed the hut down! We never rubbed wood together to get it started either. Just good old matches, a bit of paraffin and plenty of paper. We would then open it to get a good draw on it. That coke stove would keep us warm at twenty yards, and would last the whole evening. Eddie

Hi paul
That was no think unusual in our little house it was a very often every week end when the old man was in
He was a great believed in the old slack. As a banker at the back of the fire to last the session always with the sports argues
And yes true to form it was burst into flames the old lady always running in from the scullery with a bowl of water
Once or twice the neibours come running around shouting bill your chimneys on fire and then we would azs kids get excited in seeing the firemen coming
Banging on the door we was the talk of the week with the posh neibours up the top end
But the neibours never minded come bon fire night because we had the biggest yard up the terrace the bon fire was massive
It would have been fifteen feet high and as much wide we had buckets all around our big yard by the neibours fences
We had twenty family's up our terrace and they all came into our big garden to watch the fire and the fire works display
And of course the old lady done and kept a half ton of spuds a going in the oven with the chestnuts exploding all night long till at 2 o'clock in the morning
The ash was that high with rubble as well when the bin men came on Monday morning the old man always left a ten bib note Smith the old lady
To pay the dustmen a drink never failed never moaned they was always happy to oblige for a Bob or two
Look at today's guys of bin men you have a job to take two plastic bags or look in your bin before they take it if it ain't the right contents they leave it
But I always catch them out or if I see where they stack there black rubbish bags I will go and place it with others it goes ,
Best wishes paul Alan,,, Astonian,,,,

Those dustmen of old would throw a heavy metal bin onto their shoulders, sometimes having to carry down a long entry, heavy it into the air, and throw the contents into the dustcart, ashes and dust blowing everywhere. Then carry the dustbin back down the entry. They only stopped for a fag and a good cough. Can you imagine a modern dustman...sorry...."refuse representative" with their highly sophisticated push button bin loading machines, doing a job like that? Now we have to leave the bin where they can collect it without moving more that a few feet, and woe betide us if there is a wrong article in the bin. Those boys of old were real heroes. Eddie

Fantastic story Alan, every generation has these stories and its surprising how we all nearly have the same experiences. Regards Paul.

My Father was a great believer in slack for the fire in the living room. He often worked an evening shift for the Midlands Electricity Board as a Switching Engineer and before he left the house he would mix up some slack and build up the fire. It was always a good fire if you had slack. We had a coke fire in our front room which we used
on and off as it was the main dining room apart from the kitchen. We had a gas appliance fitted to the underside of the grate which you lit and the flame heated the coke.
The chimney breast in the grate was specially designed to throw out heat and boy did it ever. A usually very cold north room became very hot indeed after a few hours. It was lovely though. I know all about the drawing papers, etc. many times they set on fire in our house.

There was a time when we had a gas poker fitted in the front room, I remember. We kids thought it was magical but were forbidden from touching it.
I think Our Mom's nerve must've cracked, watching the blazing newspapers, because Dad got a metal plate, with a handle rivetted to it, made at work. The plate, held up to the fireplace, did a good job of drawing the fire but we kids didn't find it as exciting !

image.jpg1930's - 1940's . Here's another one of those kids home made play devises that showed up in this period.
( The elastic band gun shooter ).
No more ' pretend ' Cowboy shoot outs, this was the real thing. We now had our own guns that we could shoot little elastic bands from and get ' hits ' on one another.
They were not dangerous things to use, mainly because the elastic band projectile had more or less a soft impact after about a two foot range.
" Buck Jones " ( Jim from next door ), " John Wayne " ( Bobby from over the road ) and me ( Randolf Scott ) would stalk,
chase and dodge each other up and down the street shooting our elastic bands and claiming all sorts of ' hits' on one another. Claims and denials abounded all over the place but who cared, we were having a great time. We had to knock off
frequently to recover our little elastic bands and then had to remember where the game had got to so that we could carry on.
Sketch ; Our Gun.

Opening a conversation with strangers ( the changes as we grew up ).
Approaching and opening a conversation with a stranger ( without prior introductions ) we tried to sort out some sort of
' title ' for that person and as I remember it these were and probably still are typical lead in openings.
Child to Adult : Would be something like : " Excuse me Mister " - " Excuse me Missus " or " Excuse me Sir ".
Adult to Adult : " Excuse me mate " - "Excuse me lass" - " Excuse me Pal " or " Excuse me our kid ".
I guess that most people have their own favourite ' opening ' if they begin a conversation with a stranger but it always seems to be easier to start off with some sort of ' title '.
I wonder if there is a popular Brum type ' conversation opener '.

These days, I only get stopped in the street if I am in London. It's usually a tourist asking for directions or wanting a photograph taken with their camera of a guy and a girl-friend in front of e.g. the Houses of Parliament. I would usually be approached with an "Excuse me Sir". Someone asking for money would be more direct "Got any change, Mate"? Thinking back to Birmingham in the late fifties and early sixties, I was forever being asked for the correct/right time. Either people only had clockwork wrist watches that were always going wrong or they couldn't afford a watch. Today, with smart phones and electronic watches, nobody ever seems to ask. I don't like being addressed by a stranger as "mate" as it suggests over-familiarity. "Sir" or no-title at all is better. Although I was born and brought up in Birmingham I never heard anyone being addressed as "our-kid", at least not in Hall Green. Dave

Reading your ' post ' farmerdave. Got me visualising that first approach used very often way back in the Dance Hall days.
Young fella wants to have a dance with that well presented young lady that he's spotted standing at the side of the dance floor. Doesn't know her name. Makes his way over to her and asks " Excuse me, can I have this dance please ".
No titles required here.
He will no doubt get to know her name and title after a couple of times round the dance floor. Might be the beginning of a whole life story.

Hi Dave just read your thread on the subject of our Kid ,there ain't many people around today whom uses that expression
Even thou the population of hall green as changed there ain't many people left now whom what we call a kid from the old school
As you know I have always said I am a brummy which Ian and I still use lingo like that today still when speaking to anybody
If they want to asked. Me a question or if I want to know some think from some one like directions or the time
What ever I will always say our kid,/thanks our kid or I do not know our kid if asked by strangers even friends
Its our kid like our wench is another one I refer as or I will asked have you got the time our kid ,thanks our kid often
Well our kid I have to go now ,Dave speak soon take care our kid , Alan,, Astonian,,,,,

Back