• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

That's excellent, Janice and thank you. I shall now add all the references to Cornelius Neal's details. Viv.

UPDATE...

hi folks just received this reply from chris taft from the british postal museum and archives..hopefully things will get moving now...

I suspect what may have happened is that the memorial you have was to those lost in the First World War which was taken down to be replaced by this one(chris attached a photo of the wooden one that is inside the erdington office) after the Second War with names added. I have seen this once before in South Kennsington in London.

Royal Mail have recently invested a lot of money in caring for memorials and will i know be interested in this

Many thanks again and I shall continue to look more into it

Chris

Last edited:
Just had a look at the wooden one Colin B and Dwilly referred to in posts # 75 and #77 which is on the postal heritage site. I couldn't enlarge the thumbnail on the site so I've had a go enlarging and brightening it myself. It has added WW2 names to it, so I expect that's why Ken Stowe's marble tablet was replaced. Here's the photo, not a very good one, but you can just make out our 7 WW1 soldiers, plus 2 WW2 soldiers at the bottom, Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393920659.045179.jpg

That's better! Thanks. Just trying to get this clear in my head (!). We can say from your earlier Erdington Sorting Office photo Lyn (showing it built in 1934) that the marble tablet must have been on a wall there when the S.O. was first built. The tablet may have been there until say1944/1945, around 11 years, when it was replaced by the wooden extended one. And we don't know where the tablet was for the 16 or so years before 1934 or do we? Time for a lie down..... Viv.

We have to be careful of the feelings of the families of the more recent casualities but a few bits of info about the WW11 postmen.

Sergeant Albert Edward Coates fell in Belgium in 1940 age 39 he was in the Royal Wks 8th Bn,he is buried in Kommen Belgium
parents Frederick and Anna , wife Margaret of Erdington
Alberts father Frederick was a traveller in the wool trade born in London and his wife Anna was born in Newcastle on tyne, Albert was born in Redcar but in 1911 the family are in Floodgate Street.
Albert married Margaret Morris in 1927.Birmingham north

Arthur Frederick Newman of the somerset Light infantry,died in 1944 he is buried in Cheux near Caen France, he was 28 years old.
Mother , Emily of Aston, wife Olive of Aston.
Arthur Frederick married Olive Gaskin in 1939 Birmingham.

Last edited:
yes viv that just about sums it up...but still begs the questions...was the tablet originally at erdington sorting office either inside or outside??( i can find no evidence of bolt holes on the outside of the sorting office) when was the tablet actually made??? if it was before 1934 then what building was it on ?? i have put all these questions to chris taft who will be doing his own research so hopefully we may find out...of course the other thing is how did it find its way to ladywood?? this we will probaby never get to the bottom of...im just going to have a lie down in a dark room now lol....

lyn

Thanks Josie will keep the info on the Concannon's for the next update of our soldier's details. Viv.
While you're updating Concannon, Viv. (I hope you don't think I'm being pedantic).
I notice you've written "Prince of Wales North Staffordshire Regt".
The usual way is to write it as North Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's).
Baz.

Thanks Baz. The least we can do for these 7 soldiers is get it right. So no, not pedantic. (But don't try that one under different circumstances!! Lol, only joking). Thanks, it's noted for a future update. Viv.

UPDATE..

hi folks just a quick update..there will be an article in the evening mail in the next few days about the memorial so keep em peeled and lets hope some surviving rellies of these brave men will come forward...:encouragement:

lyn:adoration:

Last edited:
That is brilliant. I feel so privileged to have helped a bit in this project. That is what I hoped retirement would enable me to do.

Janice

That is brilliant. I feel so privileged to have helped a bit in this project. That is what I hoped retirement would enable me to do.

Janice

hello janice..so pleased you are finding something of interest to get your teeth into..the reporter had been looking over both threads before she came to see me this morning and is so impressed with all hard work and research done by you all and she has even passed a link onto her dad...thank you again what a great bunch of true brummies you all are...

lyn

Well done Lyn! Be great if it turns up some relations. And hopefully it will give a boost to finding a place for the tablet. I've got the B'ham Mail app, so will keep eyes peeled. Thanks Lyn. Viv.

although i couldnt find a connection to my concannons i found that franks father was born in ireland
he had two brothers and two sisters
basil born 1888
harold born 1895
maggie born 1890
clare born 1880
and that franks wife maiden name was bull
even though there was no connection to my concannons i was glad to be of some help to have the plaque put back to its rightfull place
josie

hi viv and thank you josie for that info...with a bit of luck i am hoping that some rellies of these men may see the article and get in touch as they may even have photos to share...again fingers crossed...

lyn

although i couldnt find a connection to my concannons i found that franks father was born in ireland
he had two brothers and two sisters
basil born 1888
harold born 1895
maggie born 1890
clare born 1880
and that franks wife maiden name was bull
even though there was no connection to my concannons i was glad to be of some help to have the plaque put back to its rightfull place
josie

Thanks Josie. Will add the info to the list for a future update of the biographies. Viv.

Well done to everyone who has found all the information on these heroes. I haven't been able to contribute any info but I have been following the thread with great interest and can't wait to see the article in the mail. Will someone shout as soon as they see it as I don't buy it everyday.

Well done to everyone who has found all the information on these heroes. I haven't been able to contribute any info but I have been following the thread with great interest and can't wait to see the article in the mail. Will someone shout as soon as they see it as I don't buy it everyday.

hi polly will let you know when it goes in...hopefully tomorrow or tuesday..

lyn

Just had a look at the site that vivienne14 kindly posted. Put Birmingham in the search box and you come up with a few results, including this one.
The name at the top centre was Sgt A J Gill, VC of the KRR. He was a friend of my Great Uncle and they were killed on the same day at Delville Wood on the Somme

hi folks...i have not seen it it but just been told that the article about the memorial is in todays evening mail...

lyn

Morning Lyn. It's on page 11. Looks good, grabs your attention. Here's a quick posting. hope you can read it. Maybe someone can post a better copy. Fingers crossed you get responses. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394439204.935723.jpg

morning viv..just been up for the mail..i am absolutely delighted with the article..hannah has done a great job of it....now all we can do is sit back and wait...

lyn

And so you should be thoroughly delighted Lyn. A real achievement, these things take a lot of time, effort and perseverance. The icing on the cake will be when it has a home. Think it'll be just a matter of time.

Glad the reporter quoted the soldier's full names, not only in helping to trace relatives, but it's a much more human touch too. Viv.

i agree viv...like i said earlier hannah has been reading both threads so she had the first names from the info one...keeping all crossed now and well done to everyone involved...

lyn

just had this email off chris taft..personally i see no cost in the memorial having to be restored as its in fine condition..cant see a couple of bolts and 2 fit men costing much but we shall see what happens after he has spoken to senior managers..i have sent chris a copy of the mails article..

Hi Linda
>
> Sorry things have been a bit silent, got a few projects on the go at present. I have however been looking into this and so far have not found any records about its removal or the replacement one, this is not too surprising however as it was probably done locally. I am due to speak to one of the Royal Mail senior managers later this week and intend to discuss it with her then. In the meantime I have also been looking into what costs might be involved to have the memorial conserved/restored should we be able to secure a position for this. May I ask who in Royal Mail you have been in touch with so far?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Chris
>
>
>
> Chris Taft
> Head of Collections
> The British Postal Museum & Archive

Back