• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liquid parafin! Boric Acid powder burns like hell on raw skin. Liquorice root,Indian Brandee, mmmmm! glycerine honey and lemon yuk! and oil of juniper berry, feel sick already,.Bitter aloes.
I liked the sweet after to take the taste away.

When a small child I used to suck my thumb so my mother put bitter aloes on it before I went to bed, but I braced myself and sucked it off.

When a small child I used to suck my thumb so my mother put bitter aloes on it before I went to bed, but I braced myself and sucked it off.
I had mustard too hand slaps and threats of operations but I still bite my nails now. Someone suggested hypnotherapy?!

Did I imagine this one, or could you once buy a cover for the Radio Times? A sort of leather/leatherette type cover. I have a feeling we had one, but it does seem a bit excessive! Viv.

You could indeed buy a cover for the Radio Times Viv. I think my gran had one, but we didn't. You must have been posh!

I alway associate covers such as these with the little knitted ones that SOME people used to put on their unused toilet rolls

Shortie, not posh, just had ideas above our station!!! Lol. The toilet roll covers sometimes came in the form of a doll with the lower skirt forming the cover. Such a lot of effort for the humble toilet roll!!! Viv.

My god .. you've brought back memories ... I think I still have a leather cover !!!!! ... will try and find it and if I can will scan so we can all drool over it Hehehe! Oh! happy days
Pastry

Well Viv, some people would call that aspirations, not ideas above your station - and I am all for aspiring! I never liked the toilet roll covers, I always thought they were slightly odd - might be something to do with having dolls in the bathroom. There was a time, not so long ago, when you could buy a very large cover with a doll's head for your humble vacuum cleaner. Another waste of money really, they were not cheap.

Looks like all is not lost Shortie and we can still fulfil those aspirations. Just found this link. But I'm a little disappointed to find the folder on offer is not the one I remember. It first appeared in the 1920s. The one I remember had thick leather decorative stitches, some sort of embossing and I don't think it came with the indispensible pencil. However for a mere (uh hum) £19.99 you can still protect you RT from dog-earedness! All things considered though I think I'll give it a miss! Viv.
https://www.radiotimesarchive.co.uk/folders.html
PS this is written in the spirit of sarcasm - thought someone might take me seriously!

Last edited by a moderator:
Viv - that's nothing like the cover I remember, perhaps the one I can see in my mind's eye was for something completely different? I thought the red one was quite nice, but don't fancy the newer ones.

great thread guys can people remember the little black sweetscalled imps geez they would burn the gob of ya and husky bars that became trackers the hairsetting lotion twiceas lasting and whatever happened to bar sixand galaxy counters childhood memories long gone but never forgotton this really is a great forum to be on

I remember liquorice comfits. Coconut mushrooms. Toasted tea cakes (sweets) flying saucers with sherbert inside.

I remember the loo roll dollies with heavy crocheted or knitted tea cosy skirts. Cupie dolls with massive eyes. Trolls. My knitted poodle bottle covers are rearing their heads again. Draught excluders made of old tights. Remember when having a plant in the bathroom became popular. My gran had newspapers sheets on a nail till 1966. Nico

Last edited by a moderator:
I alway associate covers such as these with the little knitted ones that SOME people used to put on their unused toilet rolls
We made egg cosies at easter at school, the teacher put a tiny egg under each one but we were not allowed to eat it as no sweets were allowed.
Do pin cushions still exhist and tupperware free gifts. Like tiny funnells, pastry crimpers, etc. We had an egg and tomato slicer, serrated little wires in a round frame, it was crap for slicing eggs as it splattered them everywhere and the tomato sort of squashed and the pips shot in your face but I used to play music on it which mum said was nice as she could make the tune out usually that I played.

Imps yes they were hot i think health and safe'ty would ban them now
great thread guys can people remember the little black sweetscalled imps geez they would burn the gob of ya and husky bars that became trackers the hairsetting lotion twiceas lasting and whatever happened to bar sixand galaxy counters childhood memories long gone but never forgotton this really is a great forum to be on

I doubt if the formula for those imps will be the same. Chloroform, which was what gave Victory V and similar products their "bite" was banned in foodstuffs some years ago an they had to be reformulated

Katy remember Amami wave set and conditioner?

Amami only stopped being produced a couple of years ago. What about hairspray in squeezy bottles. When I was an apprentice my hand would ache at the end of the day...lol

liqourice root 001.JPGhere you go folks..anyone fancy a liqourice root...think we have spoken about these before..gosh do they take me back a good few years..we used to chew them until they became just string like...would last forever...my bro bought me 3 back from blist hill museum 3 years back and just for old times sake i tried one...omg lasted about 5 mins and i had to bin it and it took me hours to get the taste from my mouth....how the dickens i loved them as a child i will never know lol....happy days though

lyn

I doubt if the formula for those imps will be the same. Chloroform, which was what gave Victory V and similar products their "bite" was banned in foodstuffs some years ago an they had to be reformulated

Victory V's yummy. My mom who was a dispenser by the time she died, used to despair of me eating those, but was glad of the peace and quiet when I nodded off...

I know this product I am about to mention has not faded away, but the promotion did.

Everytime I go to open a Mars Bar, I always think becareful of the wrapper or you may rip the code. What was that mega promotion they did - was it 70's? It was important at the time and the sales of Mars went quite high. Can anyone remember - fingers crossed.

Sorry, don't know about the promotion but "A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play" ! Viv

Remember "Snowfire" Block? It was green, and rubbed on scurves (nobody gets them now.)
I still miss "Dreft". It was for hand washing things.

It's a Heinz superday.
My IDEAL say is day down at granny's etc. Ideal Milk, yuk! We had Carnation. We was posh.
In Za morninks I drink Warninks.
Anytime any place anywhere, its a wonderful taste you can share its the bright one, its the right one that's Martini. Why does it taste awful!
Do 'ave a Dubonnet
Pony the little drink with the big kick
And Chandy with a Lion on it.
A missspent youth folks
NIck

I don't like glue-gum sticks as they seem to dry out, but proper brown gum in a bottle with a spreader has faded away! I had some which lasted years, I just added a little hot water every now and again!
(Mum used to make paste with flour and water.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back