• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broad Street

JSGamgee.jpg Gam.jpg Gam - Copy.jpg
Much has been said about one Samson Gangee in earlier posts on this thread, some by me before the site was attacked. Recently, someone I know who works in the city told me about this incident so I asked the forum member Lloyd if he could find out if it was true. The above article is the result of Lloyds work. The article does not minimise in any way all the good and important work carried out by this man.
Thanks to Lloyd for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
uu.jpeg
Re. the advert on #456.
Can you imagine roller skating from Birmingham to London and back in 24 hours??

zz.jpeg
This map is dated 1553 and it shows Broad Street as a lane. The line going towards the top left corner became Sheepcote Street, further to the right, just past the middle of the picture and near the top you can see Paradise close which became Paradise Circus.

Interesting map Stitcher. Just shows how much land belonged to the Gild of the Holy Cross and the Grammar school and how far across Birmingham that land ownership reached. Viv.

If one has a genuine interest it all, it can take up a great deal of your time.

zz1.jpeg zz2.jpg
The first picture is one I have had in my possession for a number of years and the second one is from a Google site I found when looking for the original occupants name. The images are of Byngas Hall the home of James Farmer. It was built in 1760 and was eventually replaced by Bingly Hall.

I think that looks like TI House (Tube Investments) in the middle of the photo. I remember working there as a temp Secretary back in the 1963 but that was before they changed Five Ways. Think the building might be a hotel now - not sure.

Judy

Jayell, I must be following you around. I also worked at TI Export at TI House but in 1966 for 5 years in the typing pool. It was The Swallow Hotel but I think its changed its name again.

Small world eh Carol! I can't remember who I worked for when I was there. Guess I was only there for two or three weeks, but funnily enough I do have another connection with the building. Around that time, when I met my husband he worked for Rothmans cigarettes and I believe they had an office in the TI Building. My husband was based in London, but had friends and colleagues who worked from TI House.

Judy

ooo.jpegThe Brasshouse, built in 1781.
The Brashouse was originally a large industrial complex housing several brassfounders. It is now a restaurant and pub.

Broad St. 1964..jpeg1964.
Broad Street, where would you find three car dealers with premises side by side these days?

The British Workman's & General Assurance Co was at that address , under that name, from 1896 to sometime between 1905 and 1908

It is amazing Carolina because there never seemed to be many on the roads.

Am just catching up on my emails after 9 days in Germany. I was at the College of Commerce in Broad St 1960-62 just after that photo and I can confirme that the carpark was always full as I think it was the only car park in the city centre at that time.

HI
Does anybody have any photos of the HMSO bookshop (Her Magesty’s Stationary Office) which was at 258 Broad Street Birmingham on the corner with Berkley Street? The HMSO was there between about 1974 and 1990. I would love to see some pictures if you have any I have memories of the place.
James

n.jpeg
I do not know when Wilton's first opened on Broad Street but this advert is from 1902, the premises closed in the early 1990s.

Frank Wilton ,then described as a linen draper opened his shop between 1880 and 1882, though only expanded to the large 139-141 shop around 1900

Back