• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sterilised milk is very much a Midlands thing - I wonder why?

We used to go to Cornwall for holidays and it was very difficult to find anywhere that sold it!

Some of my family moved to Bournemouth and had to change to pasteurised as they couldn't get it either. When my aunt used to visit Brum afterwards she liked to buy a bottle of sterilised to take back as she thought it made much nicer tasting custard.

Simple reason is that a lot of people didn't have fridges so, to stop the milk going off it was sterilised to allow it to keep for longer. Sterilised milk was mainly a Midlands thing and if you wanted to buy it in places like Bournemouth you would have to order it, and then only a few companies would supply it.

IMGP3219.jpgThe next few posts are all from a 1910 copy of the Illustrated London News.Please no sniggering at the product names !

IMGP3226.jpg
Little Jimmy later went on to kickstart steamships and became the all England Blow Football Champion !

Oh yes,loved those.Do you recall when you could buy cadbury's Milk Tray in bars ?
I remember them, I always broke it wrong and the lime barrel or the liquid toffee would go all over me. I liked the tiny little bars in the purple wrapper about as big as a kitkat finger but thinner and the slightly bigger very flat ones.

View attachment 76943The next few posts are all from a 1910 copy of the Illustrated London News.Please no sniggering at the product names !
We had red carbolic soap in the school washrooms and a bucket of wood shavings or sawdust if someone got sick. For years my stomach turned at the smell of it. We used to have a joke too about anabolic steroids.

This brings back memories of my parents drinking Sanatogen - not the tonic wine, but a powder which would be mixed with hot milk. I think they took it twice a day.
Wonder what it was meant to do? Energise them, I suppose!

When did those transparent tanks filled with orange squash, with plastic oranges bobbing around on top, disappear?
They had the transparent tanks with plastic oranges in the works canteen in 1978 Maria and at the posh squash club I joined with work (cheap group booking) without the plastic oranges for a while after that.When did milk bars disappear and Ice Cream Parlours and pork batch shops? We had the Moo Cow Milk Bar with a big juke box full of 'Teds'.

When I was a milkmans assistant on the Co-op at Hall Green depot in 1956-7 the rounds were mainly on council housing estates and the bulk of the deliveries was steralised milk but every round had customers who prefered pasteurized. There was also a few who had T.T. Gold top and I think there was another one as well.
We used to deliver quite a number of cartons of cream on Sundays.
You all have just made me remember the sound of the milk float with a sort of build up whirr and jerk when it started up and the rattle of the milk crates. I think it was the Co-Op dairy. We had bread delivered and Davenports and the sheets came back in crisp brown parcels tied with string

Yes,I think the lilac coloured polish smelt of lavender.it always reminds me of my Nans house.
My nan's house smelled of fresh linen and my great gran had lavender bags sewn in to her clothes. I get a whiff of my gran sometimes in the garden, not lavender though. She had nan's front room as her bed sitting room and had polyanthus on the window sill. I don't know what the smell is but it's near the ladys mantle we have, but I don't think that has a scent?

View attachment 77004
I can remember using" Meltonian EasyWhite" on school pumps.
Is that the stuff in a bottle with a sponge on the end which set rock hard and so did your pumps and they looked if they had been badly painted? I had a green pump bag supplied by the school and we had to bring a square of material from home and sew it on ourselves so we could recognise our bag. I can't imagine modern homes having bits if material now.

vv.jpeg
I know we can still get similar products to those on this advert but you will not get them from Beeny's and you will not get them at these prices.

Going back through this thread it's brought back memories, the Hawleys Bakery on Moseley Road. Milk deliveries from Unigate the Coop and Bache's Dairy in Quinton. The Bowling Alley that sold Ansells Pin Mild and cinema at Quinton. Masons food wholesalers in Hurst Street. If anyone wants Bluebird Toffees then you can still buy them from https://www.sweetthingsdirect.co.uk

Last edited:
Going back through this thread it's brought back memories, the Hawleys Bakery on Moseley Road. Milk deliveries from Unigate the Coop and Bache's Dairy in Quinton. The Bowling Ally and cinema at Quinton. Masons food wholesalers in Hurst Street. If anyone wants Bluebird Toffees then you can still buy them from https://www.sweetthingsdirect.co.uk
We had a Masons in Coventry. An old fashioned shop with a mosaic floor and glass lids on biscuit tins like a pick and mix. It was one of the first self service type of shops. They were supplied by George Barber wholesalers who were bought out or lost out by Laxons.I always got the wrapper stuck to the Bluebird toffee especially the liquorice ones so I ate the paper.

We had a Masons in Coventry. An old fashioned shop with a mosaic floor and glass lids on biscuit tins like a pick and mix. It was one of the first self service type of shops. They were supplied by George Barber wholesalers who were bought out or lost out by Laxons.I always got the wrapper stuck to the Bluebird toffee especially the liquorice ones so I ate the paper.
That's really interesting! Where was it? And when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back