• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Cemetery

A massive thank you to both Brian & Dave for the pics you've sent me. I can't tell you how grateful I am!!
Brian what a hero. You've made a fantastic job cleaning up the grave. Obviously there's no family close by to tend to the grave so I really appreciate what you've done. And thanks again Dave for the flowers you placed at the grave.

What wonderful people you all are!!!!!

Thank you,
McGraw

I am looking for my great grandfather's grave and quite possibly my great grandmother's grave. My grandmother had written in her Bible that her father was in Yardley Cemetery, Small Heath, Birmingham. She did not have his date of birth or death. I have emailed the cemetery and they cannot help me without the date of death. I emailed the geneology site they referred me to only to have had the lady retire this past June. I have emailed another archive site, but have not heard back yet.

Thomas William Farndon was born between 1885 and 1892. I am not sure of death, possibly 1950's. His first wife, my grandmother's mum was Nellie Lea. She was born 1892 and died June 1924. I am not sure if she is buried at Yardley Cemetery. Thomas and Nellie had two girls, Gwendoline and Winifred. Gwendoline was my grandmother.

I don't know if anyone can help me. I am in California, USA and can only do so much online. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings =)

Hi Linda,

There are deaths for:
Thomas w Farndon Dec 1945 Birmingham 6d 538, aged 72.
Nellie Farndon Jun 1925 Birmingham S 6d 231 aged 46.

Macca

Last edited:
Marriage details for thomas W Farndon and Nellie Lea: Dec 1905 Aston 6d 657

Nellie Lea birth: Jun 1879 Birmingham 6d 228

Thomas W Farndon birth: March 1872 Aston 6d 257

macca

thomas

Thank you Macca for all the great information. I have emailed Yardley Cemetery to find out for sure if Thomas and Nellie are buried there. I am waiting to hear back.

Linda

Hazel at Yardley Cemetery was very helpful. She found my great grandmothers burial site. It has room for 3 graves. Apparently only 2 are being occupied. The other is my Grandmother's sister.

If anyone is going to Yardley Cemetery any time soon I would be so appreciative of you taking a look and maybe a picture for me.

Nellie Farndon June 8, 1925 and Winifred Farndon August 19, 2005
Grave number 27926
Section 24
Grant number 8190

Thomas William Farndon, whom I was looking for is apparently not buried there, but purchased 3 gravesites.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi Linda
I will be going to Yardley Cemetery in the next week or so, so if you have not got a photo by then i will take one for you.

regards Stars (Eric)

Hi linda
No problem i know what it is like to get confirmation of gt grandparents. Glad i could help.

Eric

Hi
Have you any dates of birth or death, and where was she born or died. I have a Janet Jefcoate born abt 1860 and died 1938 aged 78 in Birmingham. You can phone Yardley but you would need to know abt the year she died. I hope this helps.

regards Stars (Eric)

Paul - do you mean Jessie? I can help you with that, I have the burial places of most of the family.

Shortie

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place but wonder if anyone could photograph a headstone/grave in Yardley Cemetery for me please. The grave is of Arthur Henry Hewland who was buried on the 25 May 1935. The grave number is 40572. I have contacted the cemetery office to see if they can tell me which section of the cemetery the grave is in. I am posting this request on behalf of an elderly friend who is the niece of Arthur. She tells me that it was her grandmother who purchased the grave for 3 people. A Mr Richards was buried in the grave and Arthur was the second. As far as is known there were no further burials in the grave. Would appreciate a photo of any headstone and details of any inscription and if there are any other details for this Mr Richards. Many thanks.

I should be able to photograph it as we are planning a visit to a family grave and I have a map of the sections. How soon do you want it?

Oh, many thanks. Will be pleased to receive the picture whenever you are able to take and send it. Once again many thanks.

OK so here are the photos that Linda and I got today. Joint effort in tracking down the grave but thankfully as were were visiting one we had a location for a bit of detective work got us to where we wanted.

Hewland_Vase-2_Web.jpg

Hewland_Grave_2_Web.jpg

Hewland_Grave.jpg

Hewland_Corner_Stone_Web.jpg

Hope these are what you were looking for?

Bernie

Bernie, many thanks they are fantastic and much appreciated. Will print and pass copies to Arthurs neice, who will be delighted with them although I expect saddened by the state of the grave. Once again many thanks.

The headstone is probably lain down following Safety checks. A friend of my son runs a Monumental Masons - he says that the method used is sound in itself but if carried out by people (ladies in some cases) who do not have the weight and strength to apply a steady load up to the requirement they then bash the measuring device at the headstone so effectively using a greater [as well as a repeated] force than the safety check requires.

That makes sense as to why the headstone is laid down. Looking at the photos the writing on the urn, headstone and the side kerb (for want of a better word) seems very white and clean. Is that down to the efforts of you and your wife? If so, more thanks are due to you.
Hi – no we cannot take the credit. I was wondering the cause and think it is possibly down to a chemical reaction between whatever the lettering is created from and the material of the urn and side kerbing. All we did was to clear the leaves from the kerb in order to get the lettering photographed. Just noticed there is one missing so here goes:

Hewland_Headstone_Detail_1024x682.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back