• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wright John Skirrow

Bristolbrummie

Brummie babby
:upset: Hello everyone. I am hoping that someone may be able to help me in quest with information about one part of my family.my 3x great uncle was that man who did so much for Birmingham, John Skirrow Wright. His sister, Jane Wright is my great great grandmother. From the grave stone in Key hill I see she died at the age of 21 just having given birth to my great grandad Edward Fawcett Evans. I am trying to get information on Jane and her husband, my great great grandad, William. I cannot find anything about him at all other than knowing that he was a gun stock maker.In addition some family are buried in the graveyard at Erdington Congregational church but I see from google maps it seems somewhat derelict. Is it likely that someone would have a copy of the grave stone inscriptions?Many thanks,Bristolbrummie.

Re: New forum member needing help

Hi
I have found this marriage in June quarter 1843 William Evans to Jane Wright West Bromwich 18 635
bewdley

Thanks Bewdley, I don't know how you did that, marvellous. I take it the reference 18 635 is some sort of book number?
this would certainly fit with the birth of Great great grandad in 1845 and then Jane's death in 1846, although they are common names.
Bristolbrummie.

Jane Wright born 18th December 1823 baptised 31st August 1828 Aston.
parents Edward Fawcett Wright born 1798 Halifax Yorks and Ann born 1788 b Dunchurch Warks, he was a Railway Clerk and
they lived in Vauxhall Rd, in 1851 their grandson Edward Fawcett Evans is living with them.

John Skirrow Wright was born in London in 1822 and came to Birmingham in 1838.

Thanks Alberta, I do have those bits of info but its great to have them confirmed. It's really Great great grandad William Evans and Jane that I need help with. Then of course once I can track down William then it will be his parents that I need. Also I need advice on the churchyard information as in my starter thread. All good stuff.
bristolbrummie.

As Edward is not living with his father in 1851 I'd say your best bet is to get hold of the marriage certificate for William and Jane which should give you the name of William's father. And his age.

Also there are only 4 William Evans listed as widower in the 1851 census in aston / birmingham / west bromwich. Three are old but the other is only 30 and listed as a son. If the two tie in he might be your man.

Last edited:

As Edward is not living with his father in 1851 I'd say your best bet is to get hold of the marriage certificate for William and Jane which should give you the name of William's father. And his age.

Also there are only 4 William Evans listed as widower in the 1851 census in aston / birmingham / west bromwich. Three are old but the other is only 30 and listed as a son. If the two tie in he might be your man.

Thanks Apprentice Brummie, that's a great idea. Certificates are ordered.

another problem is that I have tracked down the family grave on the corner of Station Road and High Street/Sutton New Road Erdington. It looks run down but there are grave stones visible. Does this belong to the old Erdington Congregational church which appears to have disappeared. Where would I find a list of gravestone details if indeed they exist.
Bristolbrummie

I can't find much info on the Congregational Chapel in Erdington only when it opened which was 1839. There should be a burial register which may be in the new library. It was known as High Street Chapel.

Thanks Wendy, that sounds like the place although in 1915 when great grandad was burried the newspaper referred to it as Erdington Congregational church. When you say new library, do you mean in Erdington or in Birmingham city centre?
slowly getting there,
graham,
bristolbrummie.

I am pretty sure Wendy is referring to The Library of Birmingham. You should be able to become member and access the files if digitised.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks Apprentice Brummie, that's a great idea. Certificates are ordered.

another problem is that I have tracked down the family grave on the corner of Station Road and High Street/Sutton New Road Erdington. It looks run down but there are grave stones visible. Does this belong to the old Erdington Congregational church which appears to have disappeared. Where would I find a list of gravestone details if indeed they exist.
Bristolbrummie

There is a least one grave stone there on the edge of the plot,

Believe this is the graveyard

Attachments

• 1 Erdington Greek Orthodox Churchyard.jpg
    1 Erdington Greek Orthodox Churchyard.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 16

Hello Bristolbrummie:
Here are the Monumental Inscriptions for the old Congregational Church in Erdington and the Evans you are looking for
are interred there. Also, if you check out this Erdington News link you will find information on the church the mention of it's use today as a Greek Orthodox church.
https://www.hunimex.com/warwick/mi/mi_erdington_c.html You have to scroll down for this article: https://erdington.2day.ws/

Thanks Dave and Jenny. It is indeed wonderful that there are so many helpful people out there.
Yes Dave that looks like the place. Jenny, from the monumental inscriptions which are the correct Evans family members from that era, including a hitherto unknown one, can I get more info from the BMSGH using the book number...sorry to ask the obvious but I am new to this.
bristolbrummie.

Thanks MWS, as I said I have sent off for some Certificates.
I am really interested how you did the search to find the four William Evans's as widowers. I guess you use ancestry web site so where do you put the filter for widower...I cannot see where it appears and this is such useful tool. Also did you search on Aston/Birmingham/west brom in one go?
bristolbrummie

For the widower search I used findmypast, there are a number of filters on there advanced search page that can be useful. You can register and search for free, after that there are the usual charges. I had to do each registration separately, though I could have searched Warwickshire as a whole.

Hi Bristolbrummie:
As Wendy mentioned in above thread the Burial Registers for Erdington Congregational(as it was once known) are kept at the Main Public
Library in Birmingham. I had a quick look to see if they are digitised as BernardR mentioned but couldn't see it. I believe that the Library
can provide information on a fee basis to search also BMSGH. Other members will know this info. The free BMD site might have some information on dates of burial.
Site for Birmingham Library info:https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/localstudieslibrary

Thanks Dave M, Jennyann, MWS, and everyone. I think that I may well join the BMSGH and have made some enquiries.
Ok, I have managed to make some progress to find out the William and Jane were married in Handsworth Parish church in 1843 on the 18th June and lived in Garrison Lane. I've no idea how old he was at the time of his marriage, but he may have been a widower. Do you think the church record will have his age?
bristolbrummie.

Back