• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Williams

carolina

master brummie
I am hoping someone again can help me.

I have on my ex husband's side his father Richard, his siblings are Agnes, Elizabeth, Mary, Sally, Rachael, Thomas and William. Richard was born 27 October 1914, so I am presuming that information for the other siblings must be around that time. Richard's parents are William Jabus Williams (who I believe to be buried in Warstone Lane) and Sarah Poolton or Poulton. I can find 2 marriages for those names in Birmingham July 1914 and June 1915. But apart from that I cannot find anything for the children at all. It would perhaps be that they had children out of wedlock, it certainly looks as though Sarah was pregnant with Richard if one of the above dates are correct. I have also found 2 Hannahs (R and M) born showing Sarah's maiden name, but again there didnt seem to be anyone in their immediate family that they can recall with the name Hannah. I have searched both Ancestry and Familysearch.org but nothing. I would appreciate any help. Many thanks Carol

Ah...Carolina! So that's the link from your ex-husband's family. I think I told you I used to visit "Auntie Aggie and Uncle Joe" in Key Hill (shop), but could never find a connection with my family, so I thought it was just one of those instances when you called all adults Aunt and Uncle when you were a kid.
However......my grandmother's maiden name was Poolton. Her father (my gt grandfather) was Richard Poolton (b1857) whose eldest child was Sarah Anne (1882) However, I have THAT Sarah married to a Charles Warren in 1902 and living in Camden Drive.
On some certificates the name is spelled Poolton, on others Poulton. Makes life interesting!
Co-incidentally, I'm at B'ham Central Library tomorrow looking at Richard Poolton's inquest report (in 1914 he died of 'shock from fall downstairs while in a fainting condition' (due to drink maybe?)
Hope I haven't muddied the waters for you, but with the name Richard in the family (all the Pooltons seem to name one of their sons Richard) and the fact that my family were close to Agnes..well.........?

Hi there, glad you read this. My daughter is named Sarah Ann as ex's dad (Richard) wanted her named after his mom and sister. Its very intriging that I cannot find anything for the children anywhere. I wonder if Sarah had been married before. I am going back to Ancestry to see if I can find any of their names ending with Warren - who knows? I never knew William's name was William as he was always referred to as Jabus. There is another William Williams I have found married to May L Poulton in 1932. Will keep on looking and will come back to you - have a great day tomorrow. Carol

I have found a death of Charles Warren in March 1915. I wonder if they were divorced or was she already linking up with William J Williams as Richard was born in 1914.

OMG! I believe Owen Poolton was Winson Green at one time in the 20s as well. An illustrious family ain't we?
Well...that merits more investigation (pardon the pun).

Wendy I have an email from the Forum from you telling me about Winson Green, but unfortunately its not showing up on this thread?? Would you be able to tell me if I could find out about William Jabus Williams death at Warstone Lane? Thanks Carol.

Carolina: I've just sent a message to your personal email (kept from previous messages re: Agnes/Joe/Josie of Key Hill) but it says delivery failed.
If you didn't receive it let me know and I'll pm you on here

Just an update. After Charlie gave me the info on the name Warren, I have now found Elizabeth, Sarah and Agnes all with the surname Warren and not Williams which without Charlies info I would never have found them. William J, Mary A and Richard are all Williams, but still finding it hard to find Thomas and Rachael. Carol

Back