• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this ? Row of Shops 3

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
I don't expect this one to last long at all - it's hardly changed from then until now.
But where is it ? Again taken from an old postcard from around 1920.

The photo is Sutton Parade looking towards Maney. I remember it like the photo with a large island in the middle (where you can see half a person standing) of the road which separated the two roads.

Sorry Wendy and Dek, it's not Sutton Parade or the Yenton - but I can see why you're thinking that in both cases - and both of you are not that far off the mark.

Ian.

Well I was convinced it was the parade just shows how you can get it wrong! I will have another stab at Boldmere.

Or is it Handsworth, not Soho Road but I can't recall a Road name. My husbands late granny used to call it the Village.

Well done Wendy and Dek - it is Boldmere Road - but nearer to the Jockey Road end, taken from by where the Bishop Vesey and Harvester are .
Here is the full picture , and how it looks today.

Well Done Wendy you deserve the prize i was down the other end but what i can,t understand is the road going across the photo at the bottom of the shops. DEK

I should have known it my cousin lives at the top end and I have shopped for her recently there. My niece also lives in Jockey Road. I am amazed this is my first win!

Ian Have a look on Google Street Veiw Go down the Boldmere Rd Till you get to Sheffield Rd have a look at the houses opposite you will see they are the same style then have a look at the chimney pots sorry Wendy you may not have won this one Dek

Ian Have a look on Google Street Veiw Go down the Boldmere Rd Till you get to Sheffield Rd have a look at the houses opposite you will see they are the same style then have a look at the chimney pots sorry Wendy you may not have won this one Dek

I think you will find that this row of modern of shops pictured are at the other end of Boldmere Rd opposite the junction with Union Rd Dek but the old pic looks more like where you mention. In the old pic you can see the front gardens of a row of houses on the left. They are still there between Sheffield Rd and Chester Rd. That would also explain the building crossing at the end because Boldmere Rd joins Chester Rd at an angle so the building we can see would be on the corner of Chester Rd and Gravelley Lane suggesting that the modern match is taken in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Yes Chocks have a look at the houses before the shops the fronts are exactly the same as the ones in Ian,s photo (even the chimneys) I think the end of the road has now been altered to make a crossroad with Gravelly Lane. Dek

You are so right if the photo was looking down towards Jockey Road it would go straight on to the park. I also noted that the Birmingham Settlement shop is on the right looking towards Jockey Road. Well it has been interesting reading the theories and Dec you have won the prize.

You may well be right people ! We need to cut the trees back a bit and see if the Church is there behind them.
It's a strong possible - especially with the buidlings in the distance - could be the Chester Road.
Juries out ....still tempted to give this one to Wendy though .

Ian i don,t think the church on the corner of Chester Rd and Boldmere Rd was built at the time of that photo being taken.Dek

Back