• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warden, Thomas Steward St., Birmingham, England

Janellewarden

proper brummie kid
I was recently in Birmingham, England and walked on Steward Street where our Great Grandfather Thomas Warden was born in 1843 and lived with his parents; George and Leonora Hands Warden and sisters, Mary, Sarah and Emma. His mother Lenora died when Thomas was very young and his father married second to Ellen Lote believed to be the daughter of Isaac Lote. In 1861 Thomas was living with his stepmother Ellen and John Stackhouse. Thomas was a jeweller. By 1866 Thomas Warden has left England for New York City where he was a jeweller and marries in 1869 Barbara Robertson. By 1871 a son Charles Howard Warden was born in Brooklyn and by 1873 Thomas, Barbara and Charles have moved to Providence, Rhode Island where he is a jeweller in the Providence area. Thomas dies suddenly in November 1875 in Providence, Rhode Island of an aneurism. I did find Thomas and Barbara buried in Springhill Cemetery in Providence along with the two sisters of Barbara.

The following page is my information on Thomas Warden

My first posting and I hope I am doing things correctly. I truly enjoyed my quick visit to Birmingham and I did find lots of clues to help me with our family.

I got to Warstone Cemetery and the Jewellry Quarters and did a lot of walking. I do not believe our family is buried there and I have no clues as to their burial. Sarah Warden may have been the last family member living on Steward Street where she had an infant school into the 1900's. Sarah was living with an aunt Mary Warden Hall after her mother died.

I would appreciate any ideas and tips on the Warden family

Janelle Walker Warden
Satellite Beach, Florida, USA

Hi Janelle, glad you enjoyed your visit and were able to see the place your ancestors came from, thanks for sharing it with us too, its always good to get a feel for the people of Brum.
Will have a think about where you may get more info from,as will some of the other forum members I'm sure!
Sue
Have had a scout on Ancestry, not sure if you will already know some of this info, Sarah was listed as a seamstress and infant school teacher up unti lthe 1881 census. By 1891, she had no listed occupation, but had a niece, Elise May Snoke (?)on the census and the addres was listed as 19 court No1 house 74 Steward Street. In 1901, she was listed as living of "independant means", with 4 boarders, Henry Wareham age 15,John Flynn aged 50, Eleanor Walkerage 26 and Clifford Skett aged 14.
In 1911, she is a housekeeper at 73 Steward Street, again with boarders, Ellena Walker - poss the same one as in 1901,Florance Walker, a daily domestic and again, Clifford Skett, now listed as adopted, whether by Sarah is not clear.
Following her death on 29-3-1917, her will went to probate on 12-07-1917 and her effecte were to be administrated by Leonora Kinsella (widow) and amounted to £266.13s.3d.
Still haven't found a burial place for her though, but someone else may.
Sue

Hi Janelle,
Glad you liked the place.
Wished we had known you were visiting.
The Tourist info kiosk in Vyse St opposite Warstone Lane Cemetery has a computerised index of people buried in Key Hill & Warstone Lane Cemeteries, and there is a printed copy available to peruse in the Pen Museum, Frederick St, just down from the Chamberlain clock.
No Sarah Wardens in WL but 2 in Key Hill
WARDEN
Sarah 1917 A 147 50708
Sarah Jane 1926 H 114 53538

There are a few Wardens in each cemetery. If you want lists email post@fkwc.org

Brian

I went to the penroom and the guy looked up Warden names; there were some but not ours. We walked around the Jewellry Quarters on a Sunday. My family liked the Birmingham Mall. Maybe our family is buried in Bromsgove?

Hands family seemed to be living in Birmingham long after our Thomas Warden left for America. I have seen listing for Hands boys at the Steward Street School. Any idea where the Hands are buried who stayed in England?

Ours was a short visit but at least I got there and I got to see the area which helps me to understand more about where our family was living.

I was wondering if the Steward Street school was there in 1850-1860 and could that be where Thomas and his sisters went to school?

I found a great website about Steward street school
https://www.oldladywood.co.uk/index.htm

Now I just want to learn more about the history of these places.

Janelle Walker Warden

Brian,

our Sarah A Warden born 1839 and died before her birthday. Name: Sarah Warden Probate Date: 12 Jul 1917 Death Date: 29 Mar 1917 Death Place: Birmingham, West Midlands, England Registry: Birmingham

It is possible the first Sarah 1917 A 147 50708 might be our Sarah.

Key Hill ; is that cemetery next to Warstone? I was confused on our visit when it mentioned two cemeteries.

Thanks for the tip.

Janelle Warden

Looking closer Janelle, could be that the Leonora Kinsella, administrator of Sarahs will, was her neice, daughter of her sister Mary, who married George Snape - that would also explain who the other neice listed with sarah on the 1891 census is too.
Sue

Janelle
Steward St School opened in 1873.Before around that time there were no Corporation schools, nor compulsory education, and any education would probably be from a church run school, if one was available

Oh my back to work for Janelle and I thought maybe the school opened in 1850 or thereabout. My assumptions down the drain.

I do know Thomas was attending school because the census for 1851 and 1861 said he was a scholar.

Good to hear about Steward Street School Suppose Sarah Warden could have had her infant school on Steward street in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Do keep all the hints coming 'cause I can use all the information about Steward Street.

Thanks,
Janelle

Hi Janelle, There are 2 cemeteries, 1 either side of the railway/metro.
Key Hill was 1st Public cemetery in Birmingham, opening 1836 and Non Conformist - methodist, baptist, Chapel types but open to all.
Warstone Lane was 2nd Public cemetery in Birmingham opening 1848, Church of England.
Most headstone in Section A were buried and the area grassed over.
Copies of the Burial register entry available from www.bmsgh.org - very good site for Family Research

Brian

Yes, Leonora Kinsella was the niece of Sarah. That was one valuable thing I found on Ancestry. And yes the niece born 1891 I have followed her to where she lived with Matilda Dethridge.

1872 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham Street Address: 74 Steward street Schools, Private Warden, Miss Sarah 74 Steward Street

1881 Residence
Steward St Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Sarah Warden 41 seamstress and infant school

1888 Residence
Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
1888 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham Occupation: Shopkeeper Street Address: 74 Steward street Sarah Warden (Miss) shopkeeper, 74 Steward Street

1911 Residence
Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
1888 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham Occupation: Shopkeeper Street Address: 74 Steward street Sarah Warden (Miss) shopkeeper, 74 Steward Street

1901 Dudley, St John Parish, Worcestershire, England
Matilda Detheridge 63 grocer own income at home born Dudley Elsie Snape 10 boarder Warwick, Birmingham; Andrew Detheridge had just died in 1898 and now we see Matilda with Elsie Snape ; who had Elsie in 1920-1970?

Janelle

No compulsory education before 1873..Hmm does that mean my Wardens must have been educated. Perhaps at St Martin's in the Bullring or the church I found just a block from Steward Street?

Thomas Warden was known as a "gentleman" on his son's wedding document in New Zealand. That must have been handed down to the sons from their mother Barbara Robertson Warden who lived about 20 years after Thomas. Our family knew nothing about Thomas until I did some unraveling and came up with quite a bit of information.

The Hands family were members of St Martin's. And the Gale family members of St Philip's Cathedral. Gale sisters married William Absolam Hands brother to Leonora.

Janelle Warden

Don’t know if you have seen a large scale map of Steward St, but here is one around 1889, with no 74 in red and no 73 in blue. Court 19 consists of the four houses set back behind. I do not know which is no 1 .. It was quite small, as you can see, Sarah is only listed as running a school there in directories from 1868 to 1872. In 1867 the school is not listed, and in 1873 it is just listed as the home of Mary Ann Hall. The number is not listed in directories again till 1883, when Sarah is listed as a shopkeeper. Till 1890, but by 1892 it is listed as a shop run by James Edmunds, though she may still have lived above the shop.
To expand on schools (the earlier statement was made off the top of my head), the Elementary Education Act, which introduced local authority schools was passed in 1870. Before that there were many schools, but only 35.5 % of Birmingham children between 4 & 14 were enrolled at a day school in 1851 (according to the census), and this increased over the years. Much of this was made up of denominational schools..

map_c_1889_steward_st_showing_no_73_and_74.jpg

Thanks for the map. I like all kinds of maps. I love google maps where I can walk all around Steward Street. And I got there in August but there was more I should have done like look behind on Eyre Street or Ladywood where some of the Hands may have lived. I have walked the census to for Sarah and it seems after her mother died she went to live with Aunt Mary Ann and Uncle James Hall. James dies and it is just Mary Ann and Sarah and when Mary Ann dies I suppose Sarah got the house on Steward street. Directory's say she was a seamstress and an infant school teacher. When she was not running an infant school I guess she may have been a seamstress with her own shop. And later she had borders living with her. Sarah never married. We did find her will that her niece Leonora Snape Kinsella was administrator.

Today has really been a productive day and many thanks to the Birmingham forum. I got a listing of Wardens at Key Hill Cemetery and I think our Leonora Warden died when a baby was born. I did walk all over Key Hill and saw only very old stones. I suppose 1854 and 1846 would have been unreadable. At least I know now they are somewhere in Key Hill Cemetery which was close to Steward Street.

Was an infant school an elementary school? Our Wardens must have gotten their education as youngsters. Proud of them since some of us have been teachers and librarians.

Thanks for all the information and I have a better understanding of where they lived.

By the way our Warden DNA says we relate to someone 3,000 years ago in Egypt - Mesopotamia. And one spelling of the name is Wardle.

Janelle Warden

Infant school usually refers to very young children, up to about 7 years. Elementary schools would include that age group, but at the time we are talking about I do not think that there were separate infant schools, as they were included in the same school as somewhat older children.

hi janele ;
I Went to steward st school and yes it was a big schooll and yes it had a ifants section it had three play grounds
one was seperated from the other two as they was infants nusury ;but it depended on the form
you was in to decide what playing area you was in
and the class form decide which children was useing ;to mix with;
its every chanceit was there when your grand parents was there it had to entrances to enter the school
from spring hill passage or steward street its self
in those days directly oppersite the school there was a big church and some tiny back to back house along side the church and facing the steward st school and also directly was a black smiths whom made and repaired horse shoes with its horse stable door as a kid we used to stand and whatch him at
the stable door with is red hot forge and him banging is horse shoes on the angvil
there was one family that came to mind whom lived across the rd from the scool was the parents of a lad called grithis his parents was old and lived in the street for decades before billy grew up and went away and joined the army; i had the unpleasants of locking billy up for desertng in the gard house
before being sent to colchester jail house for the military ;
i may add that just down the bottom of steward street and facing steward street was another big school in brown brick work
a big building it later transform to a colledge in around those years and later in years tranformed to a religeon place i seem to recall this school i put on the the
thread of the forumafew years back since i startedon this forum as i was a local lad living just up the rd from steward street school;
i lived on the back side of the steward stret the rear end of the school was spring hill passage which brought you on king edwards rd where i was brought up and lived at 243 ; kingedwards rd and right next door to the holland family whm there father was the local chimney sweep for the entire area of ladywood ;
now if there is any of the said hollond family on the forum from the 1800s they would recall more than me but may be ted will have more info;
than me as he is older than me ; best of luck astonian;; alan;;

It is good to hear about Steward Street School and the area around Steward Street. I took lots of pictures of the area and included is a church on George Street across from Steward street. that looks like it could have been there along time. It is now called New Testament church of God. Also what is the name of the river that is on the other side of the wall at Cope Street and Steward St. Is that River Severn?

Speaking of King Edwards Rd we stayed at City Nites at Edward Rd and Quay Place. A very nice two nights stay.

Hoping this url comes through with my Birmingham pictures from August 18-20, 2012

https://picasaweb.google.com/104451035638691435011/1819August2012?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ3nq5bUs5C7jgE

Thanks for all the good info'

Janelle

Janelle, amazing photos. My mother worked in Steward Street in the 1960s, but I couldnt remember the name of the factory, until I saw your photos - it was Manhattan, she was a badge enameller. Many thanks. You must have been exhausted at the end of your tour of UK. Carol

Carol, so your mother worked at Manhattan. It was a great trip just to see Steward Street and thanks to all of you who have made my visit even more meaningful. I have learned so much from the forum. You all are great and awesome! Wish I had taken even more pictures; however, I am finding some great pictures on the internet. I am enjoying everyone's responses and do keep them coming.

Janelle

https://picasaweb.google.com/104451035638691435011/StewardStreetUk?locked=true#

I
just did a google virtual traveling and found where I should have gone to see Key Hill Cemetery ; only got to Warstone and walking down Vyse Street ; I was so close and never realized it. Oh well thanks to the internet I now feel like I have been there.

Janelle Warden

Hi most of my family worked around there, also my great great grandad lived at 102 Steward Street in 1891. I've been trying to research my family tree.

Hi most of my family worked around there, also my great great grandad lived at 102 Steward Street in 1891. I've been trying to research my family tree.

Our Wardens were all gone by early 1920's in Birmingham. They seemed to be there in early 1800's. Thanks to findagrave I did find our gg grandparents and their children buried in Key Hill. I am still trying to find out who in the family made the move to Boston Massachusetts in 1700's. And if they were living near London and made the move to Bromsgrove to Birmingham...However, there were some Wardens in Birmingham in late 1800's that might be related to siblings of our George Warden and Leonora Hands Warden. Sarah Warden was the last to live on Steward St until her death about 1920's. She was an infant teacher and never married.

https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~walker/warden.html

This tells more about our Warden family and can use all the help I can get in finding the Wardens in UK.

Hi your Leonora Hands was the sister of my 3x great grandfather Joseph Hands of Steward Street, father William, mother Ann nee Philpot (not Plumb as in your tree).

I have a copy of the marriage between William Hands WIDOWER to Ann Philpot Spinster both of the parish of The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Hanbury, Worcestershire on 7 January 1804, quickly followed by Joseph's birth in November 1804 and all their other children.

Do you have a copy of the marriage between William Hands and Ann Plumb?

bewdley

Back