• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unknown Theatre In Broad St

Edna Cragge is also pictured in Walter Lambert's ‘Popularity’ - A vast painting depicting the Music Hall Stars of the early 1900s.

Thanks Wendy. I had been looking for Edna(Minnie Barton) on line for quite some time. I found the song sheet on a site that
happened to have a copy for sale. I also found a playbill for an appearance in Dick Whittington in the early part of the last century.
My husband said that I look somewhat like Minnie and my Mother more so.
I remember going with my parents to clean out Minnie's house in Wyrley Road in about 1948 after her death. Houses are demolished now.
Minnie had a lot of good antique furniture as well as two large woven containers of stage clothes, wigs, Leichner stage makeup, costumes, two flapper dresses
which I have here in Canada and a real sword that was used in pantomimes when she, Minnie, was a principle boy. I also have some letters that she wrote to
my grandmother saying where they were playing. Sadly, the letters aren't dated. Minnie had five children but I have no idea where they
were when she died. I seem to remember a son coming forward later on, There is no gravestone on her grave at Witton Cemetery.

Ladylinda, thanks for mentioning the huge painting of all those vaudeville people. It is is amazing and I was delighted to find Edna on that picture last year.

Last edited:
Hi Jennyann, is this your Minnie Barton Appearing at the PUBLIC HALL, HARWICH ON 14th JULY 1887 IN 'WELCOME VISIT' by ELLIE NORWOOD

the article is from THE ERA 23rd JULY 1887

*I have just read this again and I now think that Minnie Barton maybe the name of the character not the name of an actress

Attachments

• minnie_barton_23_july_1887.JPG
    minnie_barton_23_july_1887.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 4
  • minnie_barton.JPG
    minnie_barton.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Also found this from The Era 30th Dec 1899 - under the heading - AMUSEMENTS IN BRIGHTON.

Attachments

• minnie_barton_30_dec_1899.JPG
    minnie_barton_30_dec_1899.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 8
Back