• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

re: Concrete ship. Yes its still there. I've got friends in Sutton Sailing Club, one of them is bound to know its provenance. I'll try to find out and post it here.

Ah, good offering Bren, but that looks to me like the Sea Scouts boat not the land locked Sea Cadets Ship, which is on the right, just before you get to the Boldmere gate entrance to the park. Or it was when I was there in 1956/7. Sea Cadets are a subsidiary branch of the Royal Navy, whereas the Sea Cadets come under another governing body. Thanks for sending the pics anyway, nice to know that there is still some activity going on in the park to keep the youngsters occupied. Alan (Bikeral72)

Ah, good offering Bren, but that looks to me like the Sea Scouts boat not the land locked Sea Cadets Ship, which is on the right, just before you get to the Boldmere gate entrance to the park. Or it was when I was there in 1956/7. Sea Cadets are a subsidiary branch of the Royal Navy, whereas the Sea Cadets come under another governing body. Thanks for sending the pics anyway, nice to know that there is still some activity going on in the park to keep the youngsters occupied. Alan (Bikeral72)

Just happened to pop in last night and had my camera with me with a couple of lenses so took a couple of shots, if i get time tomorrow and it's dry i will try and get the shot you want, i know where so just hope it is still there.

bren

At Home 132.jpgAt Home 129.jpgAt Home 131.jpg

Would love to have got in there but couldn't, ended up going up the bank in the park and shooting over the fence, best i could do

bren

I have been in there bren when our granson was in the sea cadets it looks so like a real ship from the side, what a great learning tool ;o)

I like your pictures Bren, When I was a cadet on that "ship" back in the 1950s, the bow of the ship was level ground with the outline of the bow arranged with conrete blocks. it looks much better now it has been raised (or the ground lowered) it looks much more realistic. The Picture of the sign at the end of the drive, also shows the signs of change, we did not have any "Girl Cadets" in my time there.
Bikeral72, The gentleman named Horne you mention, I remember him too, I think he was the Chief Petty Officer?
We may have been "Cadets" but once you were on the ship you were treated as members of the Royal Navy On joining the cadets you were termed as a "New Entry" then after achieving a certain amount of experience you became an "Ordinary Seaman" further promotions were then possible (there were exams for these promotions) it was possible to become an "Able Seaman" then onto a "Leading Seaman", I think then beyond this came Officer ratings starting with "Petty Officer".
I remember the Rifle drill, "303s" they used then and they were heavy, and taller than some of the smaller lads.
It brings back lots of memories, a time I am glad I did not miss.

Great photos of the "Concrete Corvette". The site is protected by steel fences these days as the site has been vandalised in the past sadly. I am a bit confused as
to whether there are Sea Scouts and Sea Cadets that use this "ship"? The MP Andrew Mitchell is the President of the Sutton Park Sea Scouts and presented them recently with a much coveted Burgee Award. Nice photo of the side of the "ship" on the SUtton Sea Cadets website.https://www.sea-cadets.org/suttoncoldfield/history.aspx and news item about the Burgee Award. https://www.andrew-mitchell-mp.co.u...oldfield-sea-cadets-national-excellence-award

Great photos of the "Concrete Corvette". The site is protected by steel fences these days as the site has been vandalised in the past sadly. I am a bit confused as
to whether there are Sea Scouts and Sea Cadets that use this "ship"? The MP Andrew Mitchell is the President of the Sutton Park Sea Scouts and presented them recently with a much coveted Burgee Award. Nice photo of the side of the "ship" on the SUtton Sea Cadets website.https://www.sea-cadets.org/suttoncoldfield/history.aspx and news item about the Burgee Award. https://www.andrew-mitchell-mp.co.u...oldfield-sea-cadets-national-excellence-award
The land locked ship is definitely Sea Cadets, allied to the Royal Navy.

Was in the park again Friday, spent 3hrs trekking round the north section above Bracebridge in the thick wooded area up to Streetly Lane

At Home 161.jpgAt Home 153.jpgAt Home 158.jpg

We found them and they was quite relaxed seeing us again, they was busy stripping the leaves off the oak trees mainly, we did notice that nearly all the oak had no acorns and those on the ground was very small, looked like they had fallen before they was mature, don't know what is going on there as the trees "looked" healthy.

bren

Hi Glennys Jean,
Lovely photos ... brings back memories when we could go on rowing boats and paddle boats on the pool...
oldmohawk

Fantastic photo's Glennys Jean. I used to ride one of my first motorbikes around the park at about that time. It was a meeting place for bikers.

Overlooking Wyndley Pool 1532 today

Attachments

• 2nd January 2013 Wednesday 002.jpg
    2nd January 2013 Wednesday 002.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 34
Ta, in the Park today

Attachments

• 19th January 2013 Saturday 020.jpg
    19th January 2013 Saturday 020.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 19th January 2013 Saturday 027.jpg
    19th January 2013 Saturday 027.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 19th January 2013 Saturday 028.jpg
    19th January 2013 Saturday 028.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 19th January 2013 Saturday 033.jpg
    19th January 2013 Saturday 033.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 19th January 2013 Saturday 045.jpg
    19th January 2013 Saturday 045.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 34
Is that Holly Knoll where the children are sledging? I loved going there as a child so many happy memories.

Thanks for the photo's Dave and lovely to see you on the forum again Miriam. Might go to the park with the dog tomorrow if I can persuade Peter.

Wendy no, we did go there after, this bank near Wyndley Gate, roads inside very icy.

Some call it the Pageant Site

Back