• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

hi paul...yes i would say you are describing the summer lane we are talking about....if memory serves me correctly i seem to recall reading that there was also a summer lane in erdington...

lyn

Summer Road I remember in Erdington Lyn not Summer Lane

thanks for that Lyn, from what I have learned from the forum it seems to have been a very close knit community.
Paul

evening dek...so glad my memory has not gone completely..there were two summer lanes..the other was in erdington as i thought....here it is on the map...just off station road....if you type in summer lane erdington in the seach box there is a bit more info on it...

hi paul...yes you are right it was a very close knit community as were a lot of other places...everyone stuck together...

lyn

evening dek...so glad my memory has not gone completely..there were two summer lanes..the other was in erdington as i thought....here it is on the map...just off station road....if you type in summer lane erdington in the seach box there is a bit more info on it...

hi paul...yes you are right it was a very close knit community as were a lot of other places...everyone stuck together...

lyn

lyn in Erdington it is now called Summer Rd, just looked at the Vehicle/video on the Maps Dave

Dave thats interesting Lyns map shows a section as Summer Lane (the bottom section where it forks under the railway bridge.) Dek

Dave just looked in the A-Z there is a Summer Lane in your neck of the woods opposite Water Orton Lane B, ham 76 Dek

Erdington on the section passed the bridge and left, the Summer Road sign looks old high up on a wall, you can see it on the video Dave

david fowler had a rellie living at summer lane erdington in 1912...but dek you are right...i bet the palm trees didnt sway down there lol...

lyn...

Heres my twopenorth Summer Hill Street , Summer Hill Terrace, Summer Hill Rd, Summer Row, Summer Rd, and good old Summer Lane, Great to be in Gods Country with all this Summer around . Max

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care which story is true.......lol. It just had lots of characters and so much History........sad it's nearly all gone though

hi dek...although there were 2 summer lanes as you say there was only one where the palm trees swayed..its just a shame that there is not much left of the lane now....

lyn

What does the reffrence to palm trees mean. Probably everyone knows except me. I was born in Summer Lane...back of somewhere.

What does the reffrence to palm trees mean. Probably everyone knows except me. I was born in Summer Lane...back of somewhere.

Its a reference to the famous song about Summer Lane....." See the Palm Trees Swaying, way down Summer Lane"

rupert its said the words were written by bert mallet who lived in brearley st...its best song in a pub and to the music...

lyn

maybe rupert...or it could have just been their way of getting through some very tough and rough times...a sort of release button if you like....either way its very known by most folk who lived round there and features on a cd called the brummagem air....brillient...

Last edited:
transferring these pics from another thread as they belong here...

taken outside the 3 horseshoes pub..you can just see the bartons arms in the distance..sorry about the quality they were taken from old brum mags...

just for ease of location the 3 horseshoes pub is number 13 marked on this pub map and i am also posting a pic of it...

lyn

Last edited:
transferring these pics from another thread as they belong here...

taken outside the 3 horseshoes pub..you can just see the bartons arms in the distance..sorry about the quality they were taken from old brum mags...

just for ease of location the 3 horseshoes pub is number 13 marked on this pub map and i am also posting a pic of it...

lyn

What thread were they on Lyn? I might have missed that thread

hi alf..i posted them in july 2009 under the pics from old brummagem mags thread...posts 27 and 28..

there is also a old brum pics thread so thats 2 for you to have a look at....

lyn

no dek..nothing has dissapeared i was just going through the the old mag pics looking for something else and came accross the 3 summer lane ones so i thought i may as well post them on here...

lyn

Last edited:
Just came across this great photo of a court yard in Summer Lane . Max

Nice photo Max. Is there any way of making it bigger please? It's a bit small for my rheumy old eyes!

The problem is that the original could not be uploaded to the forum as it was too big, but i will try summat else . Max

Back