• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Studley Street, Sparkbrook

RobPerkins

Brummie babby
I'm looking for more detail about life in Studley Street, Sparkbrook and especially anyone who remembered the Perkins family that lived initially at 3 back of 27 Studley Street and latterly at 35 Studley Street. My paternal grandmother Emily Perkins (known to all as Pem) lived there with her third husband, Arthur William Perkins. But she had married twice before to Charles Howard Morgan who died at the start of WWI and then Arthur Startin who died of his wounds in 1916.

I've read Carl Chinn's thesis on the differences between the working classes especially around Sparkbrook II and I had no idea just how poverty stricken the community was. My grandmother was always very well turned out and I remember her as having two curls of hair done up at the side of the head a la Princess Leia before Star Wars was even dreamed of.

My dad Walter Henry (known as Wally) pictured,
jpg013.jp.jpg

was good friends with Len Preston, who became his best man when he married in 1952, and during my dad's teenage years he was a runner for the illegal bookmakers that were prevalent at the time. He went on to become a plumber and worked all his life for the NHS before his premature death in 1982 aged just 57.

My aunt, Nellie, and uncle John lived at 35 Studley Street and my aunt who married Robert Gosling continued to live at the address with my grandmother.

It would be great to hear from anyone whose ancestors came from that particular street in Sparkbrook which I believe was one of the poorest in the district.

Regards

Rob Perkins

Back