• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stratford Road

I agree, but, it used to have a spire! See Sparkbrook boundary sign and road sign to Bromsgrove via Highgate Rd.

Yes it did once have a spire, you can see signs of repair work on the Palmeston Road side of the Church. Viv.

image.jpeg

The Baptist Church complete with spire, the spire could have only been removed in recent years as I don't remember it without one.

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Stratford Rd - Highgate Rd (2).jpg
    Sparkbrook Stratford Rd - Highgate Rd (2).jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 46
Whenever I've passed it from the bus I don't recall it having a spire. Was it there when a mini tornado hit the area in the mid 2000s? Earliest view on Google was 2008 and no spire by then.

Well, your picture dated 1964 shows the spire,#85 and that date seems right, bus design, road signs give support.
Seems we should be able to find when it was demolished.

There was a steeple on it when I lived in the area from birth 1938 to leaving in 1961.
When I was at Stratford Rd Infants School we used that church hall as an annex for music lessons etc. I remember getting all excited about being in the percussion group thinking I'd get a bash at the drum.
It took about 10 mins to get the class organized into a crocodile to walk there ( which also took another 10 mins walking each way). On arrival I was issued a triangle so thank goodness we only had time left for a very short lesson.
Maybe the tower went when the area was hit by a tornado that also damaged the school c 2000.
Cheers Tim

Found a reference in this book (bottom of page 275) saying it burnt down in 1988. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=P3ZkU7V6N0MC&pg=PA276&lpg=PA276&dq=stratford+road+baptist++church+spire+removal&source=bl&ots=NX9VFfMzVr&sig=yQ-WkyUDUQ-kehnseosaxvsB_6Y&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjj9qvO2-zTAhWhDsAKHc2MB1EQ6AEIJjAD#v=onepage&q=stratford road baptist church spire removal&f=false

This is how it originally looked. Seems to have lost quite a lot of the original structure joining the tower on the Palmeston Road side. Viv.

image.jpeg

That's it Viv, poor place has not been dealt with too kindly. Usual lack of congregation and funds.
Job well done.
Cheers Tim

From these two images side by side, we can see that in fact the whole of the church is gone and all that remains is what I assume was once meeting rooms.

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Baptist Church.jpg
    Sparkbrook Baptist Church.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 40
Looking across Stratford Road towards Highfield Road. Surprisingly some buildings on this 1933 Birmingham Libraries photo are still there. The Bulls Head would be to the left of the photographer, just out of view. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

That's the junction of the Fox Hollies Road with the Stratford Road Viv.

The Bulls Head pub is still there.

Wintery view from the Fox Hollies Road.

Junction with Priestley Road. Quite a few changes, but the building to the right has survived - now a restaurant. Thought it had the look of a bank in a former life. viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

In quite a few of the pics showing earlier part of the 20th. century views which have been posted on this Forum the familiar shaped cast iron Birmingham style road name plates are seen but with white letters and a dark blue background rather than the more familiar black on white version.
I wonder when the change over took place?

In the previous 100 or so posts has anyone suggested that the Stratford Rd is the longest continuously singly named road in the UK. I don't know if this is true but I certainly knew this "fact" from an early age. From Camp Hill to beyond Hockley Heath.
Despite never living really close to this road it has featured throughout my life. The road to town in 1940's from Tyseley- school dentist 1940's, Hall Green- school 1951-56 Camp Hill- swimming lessons 1950's Sparkhill- driving test 1960 around by the Mermaid- work 1958-62 in Hockley Heath- bicycle trips to Stratford on Avon- ice cream from Henley in Arden- Hall Green tech 1960's- "one or two pub" visits over the years- making van deliveries to retail chemists between Shirley and Sparkbrook in 2000's.

Last edited:
The junction with Formans Road in 1905. Surprisingly not massively different. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 45
Mugal & Azam the former Sparkhill United Church seen today from the no 1 bus waiting at the end of Shaftmoor Lane. About to go onto Stratford Road then up College Road.

The College Arms - corner of Shaftmoor Lane and Stratford Road in Hall Green. Also from the no 1 bus.

The building itself hasn't changed too much although a front entrance seems to have been created and the side ones closed off. Obviously some of the street furniture has gone. Not sure what the tall feature was in the front of the pub. Viv.

image.jpeg

Although it was local to me when we lived in Knowle Road, I've never been in the College Arms as I wasn't old enough in those days and my parents didn't frequent it either. However, I do remember lying awake in bed and regularly hearing one of its clientele, who had had a few too many, walking somewhat unsteadily past our house singing his head off!

Apart from the front entrance and the rows of bollards, nothing much seems to have changed.

What was in my day the Sparkhill Congregational Church seems to have gained a white picket fence and, of course, the Bundy clock has gone from beside the 1A bus stop, Thanks for the pics.

Maurice

Sparkhill and Hall Green churches merged into one congregation and are now based in the Hall Green church on the Stratford Road. No problem.

Hall Green United Community Church

Welcome to Hall Green United Community Church.
We are a multi-denominational Church formed from the coming together of Hall Green Methodist Church and Sparkhill United Church (Moravian/URC)

Stratford Road, Sparkhill in the 1960s. I see there's a Co-0p shoe shop adjoining the main BCS shop behind the phone box. Viv.

image.jpeg

Quite ashamed that I'm not sure where this is, my guess is opposite "The Mermaid".
Screenshot (136).png

Last edited:
As far as I can tell by matching addresses you are right. The scene today from google maps.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-30_11-50-25.png
    upload_2017-9-30_11-50-25.png
    403.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
My guess is just before Springfield Road on the opposite side going towards Hall Green. Or maybe the pavement isn't wide enough. Many many years since I was on Stratford Road. Wrong again!

Maurice

Last edited:
My guess is just before Springfield Road on the opposite side going towards Hall Green. Or maybe the pavement isn't wide enough. Many many years since I was on Stratford Road.

Maurice
According to the phone book of 1960 the Co-op was 395 Stratford Road and the shop called Sitara is 395 and 397 and it is right opposite the Mermaid. Between Fulham Road and Beach Road. I can see why you thought of just before Springfield but I think the shop "top windows" (if you see what I mean) are different. Again from Google.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-30_12-33-22.png
    upload_2017-9-30_12-33-22.png
    338.2 KB · Views: 22
Back