• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stratford Road Schools

Yes Maurice I only remember the blue and cream WMPTE buses. Are the buses now red? Viv.

No problem.

They are the modern ones with plastic backing and rails covered in plastic. I think that bus is from the early 2000s.

National Express West Midlands also has Platinum buses on the number 1 bus route. Such as this one

Photo from January 2017 but I did go on one this morning. They have plush leather seats and you can use the on board bus wifi if you want to.

The bus was on Shaftmoor Lane at this point heading down the hill.

That was the point at which we all jumped from the back platform of the 1A bus to save walking back an extra 100 yards!
Yes Maurice, those new fangled front entrance buses spoilt all the fun ;)..................and the occasional mishap. :eek:

Alan,

That was part of growing up and enabled you to learn balance and timing, even at the expense of a few scratches & bruises!

Today we have skateboards, which are a far greater menace.

Maurice

Hi ...If i remember correctly there was a large climbing frame in the playground made from scaffolding poles that would not pass health and safety to day
Hello
Hi ...If i remember correctly there was a large climbing frame in the playground made from scaffolding poles that would not pass health and safety to day
Hello Robroy. I have just read your post about the climbing frame at Stratford Rd School and indeed it was a health and safety nightmare, although lots of fun! Actually, my sister fell from one of the lower bars and broke her arm the day before we were due to travel to Ireland so our mother was none too pleased. :rolleyes:

Hi Butterfly..I think there must have been many injuries on that piece of playground equipment ..I remember it has being good fun..we would go there in the evenings ,the playground was always open and we could ride our bikes there.

Hi Butterfly..I think there must have been many injuries on that piece of playground equipment ..I remember it has being good fun..we would go there in the evenings ,the playground was always open and we could ride our bikes there.
Hi Robroy. Yes, the caretaker was a bit grumpy if he caught you in there after school but nothing too serious. Bikes, roller skates, anything that would entertain us as kids. I lived just over the wall by the climbing frame so it was easy to get in the playground but harder to try and climb back! Happy days.

Heading down Shaftmoor Lane on the no 1 bus, there is a view of the tower of Moseley School. This was the best I could get of of it from the bus as it headed down to the Stratford Road (before heading up College Road).

You can see it close up from Wake Green Road.

Late reply I know but yes, that climbing frame was a magnet to we kids. My sister fell off the lower bars once and broke her arm! (mum was none too pleased because we were due to go on holiday the next morning)

Back