• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stockland Inn Hotel

O

O.C.

Situated at Stockland Green on the corner of Marsh Hill, Slade Rd and Streetly Rd. First it was built as The Stockland Hotel then it changed to The Stockland Inn and now as I have just got back from their it is Modern China a buffet restaurant and bar and I noted another 2 old pubs I passed had turned into Chinese Buffet Restaurants
First pic 1940's second pic early 50's

Attachments

• Erdington Stockland Green Tram Terminus.JPG
    Erdington Stockland Green Tram Terminus.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Stockland Green Marsh Hill The Stockland.jpg
    Stockland Green Marsh Hill The Stockland.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 34
Alf when I was in the homes over the back (Erdington Cottage Homes) I heard the staff talking about the Stockland today is the first time I have stepped foot in their....I won't go back
(over the back of the Homes was Stockland House and over the road was the Stockland Inn I only learnt this later in life)

Last edited by a moderator:
The bowling green next to the stocland/modern china has been built on and is now home to several flats.
The lovely white wall had been kept,not full height,but it's still there...

R The Stockland/Modern China

Must admit when I do go to eat at Modern China(very good by the way. Nice and handed for us too.),I still find myself smiling as I remember the corners where I use to tuck myself away,on a Sunday afternoon, eating crisps while my dad played darts.....
Remember the Stockwell family?

Does anyone remember when the Army used to bring tanks and other transport for the local kids to have a look at?
They always parked on the pub car park?

Thanks for posting the old photos of The Stockland Inn, Crom..... it's
great to read the stories of this pub. I lived off Marsh Hill when I was growing up so The Stockland Inn was a place I saw practically every day for many years. My brother played dominos there for several years and I never really went in it until 2003 when I spent an afternoon in there with my daughter.

I see on the first postcard across the road on the corner of Marsh Hill and Streetly Road some buildings which are still there. The corner building was a travel agents last time I was there. I remember those buildings during the war years and after as George Baines, Bakers. I went with my Mother many a day to queue up to wait for the bread to arrive. I notice the tram lines going across on the post card also. I used to call into Baines on my way to catch the 65 bus down to Hunton Hill and up to Erdington Station to board the diesel into Brum to work. I had a free rail pass at one time when I worked at New Street Station.

The Stockland Inn looks like a baronial manor that would look at home in the Cotswolds. People didn't have cars at the time it was built to take trips to the country and the local people were very proud of it. As many people remember the Bowling Green and outbuildings were very special. The second photo shows the Inn before the Stockland Garage was built. I have written a story on the "Birmingham Garages" site about the Stockland Garage and it's owners. In the early days there was a pond in front of the Inn. It was never the same after they widened Marsh Hill and the green area disappeared.

The bank on Stockland Green was bombed during WW2. It used to be a great shopping centre at one time.

Sylvia mentioned that the Inn had now become a Chinese restaurant.
Glad to hear that the food is good there.

Re the photo ...

As I type the grey railing has been pulled up and a nice posh black one is been put in.
All the railing's on "The Green" are been re-placed.

Good news indeed Mrs. T. about the railings being replaced at the Stockland.
Thanks for letting us know. I took several photos of Stockland Green in 2005
taking in the Stockland and the old Plaza Cinema. Shots down Slade Road, Streetley Road and Reservoir Road. What was Stockland House,Crom? Please.

There weren't many pubs around this area as apart from the terraced houses
at the top of Marsh Hill there wasn't much around there before the mid l920's.
There were houses at the top of Slade Road and I can remember the
Brookvale Pub near the Star Cinema. There was an outdoor half way down Marsh Lane. I also remember the Golden Keys (?)
just off the bottom of Bleakhill Road and the Hare and Hounds (now Mill House)near Ivyfield Road on Marsh Hill. That was it unless you went to
Moor Lane and further along to the Barn where I believe you had to be a member.

This is a nice thread we went to the Chinese Buffett at the Stockland back in March the food was good. It is sad that it is no longer a pub but at least the building has been saved. I always thought it was a lovely building. I remember the area well as I often visited my older brother he lived in Ivyfield Road when he first got married and I went there often in the late 60's early 70's.

Jennyann, "The MIllhouse" is now back to been called "The Hare and Hounds" and "The Golden Keys" has long gone and at the moment work is been done on the land to built flats!

If anyone wants photos of The Green" let me know.

Forgot to add anyone remember family called LUCAS ? all lived Stockland Green at some point.

Mrs. T. I am glad to hear that the Mill House has gone back to it's original name the "Hare and Hounds". I have a picture of Marsh Hill from the "Story of Erdington" book, before Marsh Hill Junior School was built that shows the "Hare and Hounds" as a half timbered building. In the last 20 years it has had a couple of owners well maybe more than two!

Stockland House?
Erdington House?

Wonder who lived in them. This is the first I have heard of them and I've lived in Stockland Green all my life!

(note to self:must get out more )

Thanks for posting the map Crommie....you know like Mrs. T. I can't say I have ever heard of Stockland House. On this map also Hycroft Hall is called Erdington House. How old is this map? Another interesting thing is the fact that the covered reservoir in Reservoir Road is shown. For years I have tried to find out information on the Reservoir. My cousin John used to play football on the top of it.:rolleyes: It's opposite Highcroft Road.

Mrs. T. have you read my "Shops of Stockland Green" description which I put on the www.yourmemories.co.uk website a few years ago. This is how I remember the area postwar. Things have changed since I wrote those memories but not that much. The Wine Store has gone now. I didn't mention Banks' stores since the first one didn't appear until the late l950's. I don't suppose they have survived.

On the memories web site on the left hand side is a "location"
list. If you hit that you will see Erdington...hit that and you will see my
memories and few other people's as well. I also found a link to the BBC site of Wartime memories from a lady in Patterdale Road. www.bbc.co.uk/.../stories/60/a4106260.shtml

Jennyann

Had a look at the other web site that you have written in.Wow that brought back some memory's.
I remember the chemist on the corner too,forgot that the hardware shop was called Lucas's (tut that's one of my "names"too??? ). Bank's are still going strong,they have a web site with a bit of a history section included,the doctors who are in the house (Were Butler,Price, Bullock) will soon be moving to a purpose built surgery just further up on Reservoir Road,on the site of some of the pre-fabs.
The shops to the side of the plaza, the old VG/co-op store, is now a "Mobile disco etc " shop...don't ask I have never been in !)before that "Modern Homes " furniture shop were there for a while having moved down from six ways.:)
Jayne
x

Jennyann, Erdington House changed its name to Highcroft Hospital in the 40's (took the name from the road it was in )

Well Crommie...that, of course, makes sense doesn't it. Any info on the Reservoir and was Stockland House part of Hycroft?
Thanks

Jayne, glad to hear my writings about Stockland Green brought back memories for you. Dr. Bullock was our family doctor for many years taking over from Dr. Ross who was my doctor growing up and came to our house on several occasions. Dr. Bullock gave me my medical for my application to emigrate to Canada in 1963. Dr. Bullock retired several years ago, of course. I remember
Dr. Butler and Dr. Price as other family members went to those two Doctors.
Didn't Dr. Butler live in the big house near the Hare and Hounds on Marsh Hill?

I expect the new Clinic will have a few doctors on call. It's amazing
how long the practices were located in those old houses on Reservoir Road.

Great to hear that Bank's is still going. The first shop was all job lots
but the prices were very good and Mrs. Banks always went out of her way to find something you might like when you went into her shop. When I came for a visit I would always go in and look for things for my children.

I didn't include the ladies hairdressers next to Bank's in my writings. It might have been called Janet's, not sure. Also, the Methodist Church where
Fentham Girls School rented the Annex for some of their classes in the late l950's.

Marsh Lane

Hi jennyann
I read with interest your link to the BBC site about the war. My dad and his family lived on Marsh Lane, at that time. The names of the children were Donald, Roy and Joan Draper. Aunty Joan said that dad (Donald) was evacuated to 'somewhere in Wales', but that his mum brought him back home the next week because he was so miserable and they had shaved his hair off! I can't believe that the area had lots of fields with cows in. I don't suppose anyone has a photo from this era, do they???

Hi Watton: I don't think there are too many old photos of Marsh Lane around. I will have a look in my Erdington books. Yes, there are some fascinating stories about WW2 on the BBC site. The evacuation stories are sometimes good but a lot of times they were not success stories by any means.

We used to go down Marsh Lane a great deal following WW2 to attend the
Welfare Clinic which was almost at the Station Road end. Mom, my youngest brother Bill born in 1946, would walk from our house in Hidson Road on to Stockland Green sometimes via Dallas Road past the Plaza Cinema and down Marsh Lane, which was going slightly downhill most of the way. In the summer my mother used to cross over to call at a place called "Beechdene Nurseries" quite close to Milverton Road. Mom would ring the bell hanging in an old oak tree and the owner would come out and serve her various fruits that were on sale. The Beechdene property was sold decades ago and there is a cul-de-sac of homes there now called Beechdene, not sure if its a "Grove" or not.

I almost lost my life on Marsh Lane whilst riding my bicycle. I used to ride down Marsh Lane to choir practice at Erdington Parish Church. There weren't too many cars parked on the side in the early l950's but one evening in the late summer I was cycling with my head down and I hit a parked car. I was very lucky and suffered a cut lip and abrasions. My front
wheel was buckled in the front. People came running out of the houses and one kind family took me in and gave me hot sweet tea.

Jennyann, Trying to stay on thread so here is a pic of 6 ways Erdington and the road on the left which was Reservoir Rd which lead all the way to the Stockland Hotel ...the road straight ahead is the High St

Thanks for posting the picture of Six Ways many decades ago. I have a
picture in my Erdington book which is very similar. People who had been around Erdington for years and years used to talk about Archer's Stores.

Jennyann

didn't include the ladies hairdressers next to Bank's in my writings. It might have been called Janet's, not sure.

In the early 70's st least it was Regency Hairs Stylists... maybe the owner or stylist was Janet? Info from Kellys

Jenny, Brenda and I were married at St Marks, Bleak Hill, Stockland Green

Last edited by a moderator:
Rod you're right about the Hairdressers...it was the Regency...Janet's was in Coton Lane off Erdington High Street. I went a few times to the Regency and guess what they had Regency striped wallpaper on the walls:rolleyes:

Rod, I think St. Mark's would have been our family's church instead of St. Barnabas in Erdington High Street. Reason it never happened....the Vicar at St. Marks, Rev. Wright, who by the way baptised me early in the war years, was a bit of a character who embarrassed my Mum when he made comments at my baptism about my Mom's hat. Also, the pews had no cushions and were covered in dust which got on everyone's clothes big time. The family wanted the service to be at Aston Parish chcurch but St.Mark's was five minutes away from our house and these were dangerous times.

Mrs. Wright, my teacher at age 7 at Marsh Hill Junior was married to Rev. Wright and over the years Rev. Wright was known locally as a character who was very different for a COE vicar of the day. He moved into the church hall after his marriage broke down and then bought himself a boat which he parked next to the church. It was supposed to be used for the Youth Club but I don't think it ever moved from it's berth in the field next to the church for years.

My brothers and I went to several sales and also shows that the Youth Club put on over the years. Local kids who went to the church seemed to have a good time at the activities. I believe for a while High Anglican services took place there.

I have friends who were married there in the l980's also. My Mother and I
went to a few Church Fair type sales when I was visiting. Very good too.
I think St Mark's is a very compact small church and I like it. St. Mark's was built to accommodate the many families that were moving into the area in the l930's. It didn't have a vicarage until the late l960's when one was built next to the church on Bleak Hill Road. Rev. Wright retired to a Vicar's Retirement Home decades ago.

One final coincidence was in l995 when my dear brother Peter sadly passed away. We had the service at the Perry Barr Crem. and were told by the Funeral Directors that there was a roster for Anglican ministers to take the
services at the Crem. the Ministers came from all over Birmingham. When I asked who was on duty on the day of my brother's funeral I was told it was the Vicar of St. Mark's. His name escapes me now but I phoned him and he came to see me. He knew many of the people in the area who knew my brother and went to see them also. He conducted an excellent service for my brother. A full circle really.

Last edited:
Jenny the vicar at the time of my marriage was Rev Hancox. Might this be the same vicar? Having said that we got married in 1974 so there is still quite some time before your sad event.

St Marks is a small church..... it's wasnt in either my wifes church catchment, she lived in Witton Lakes Park at this time, or in mine...I lived in Kingstanding then. We had to have the Banns read in three churchs, all because we thought St Marks was a lovely quaint little church. Rev Hancox was a very down to earth man, and thought us to be very strange in our reasons for wanting to marry in his church. We had to go along to the vicarage one Sunday evening after his service and explain to him our reasons for getting married, and prove to him we were marrying for the right reasons. I suppose a little old fashioned? he gave us a lecture about life, the church, and questioned our beliefs. I can remember being very assertive (COCKY) with him, and we both expressed our wishes that we wanted a marriage in church. Getting married at the register office was not an option for us.

Hi Mikeytang, The Stockland was built in 1923-4 the Architect was Bateman and Bateman. The pub was built for Mitchell and Butlers.

Back