• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

I found these two postcards in Yoxford, Suffolk. I took them on my phone but maybe some one can improve on the quality.

For reference...

On the second picture, of Corporation Street, on the left is Street and Co.

In the 1912 Kelly’s they were at 121 and down as Milliners. Adjacent were 117/9 Liberty and Co, Oriental Merchants.

123/5/7/9 were Jevon's and Mellor, Hosiers

(Manchester Warehouse above the shops may be an outlet for a Manchester Drapers Firm?)

I think the term has now fallen out of use but 'Manchester Goods' used to be a general term for household cotton items, towels, sheets etc. I last saw the term used in a wholesale warehouse over 40 years ago.

I think the term has now fallen out of use but 'Manchester Goods' used to be a general term for household cotton items, towels, sheets etc. I last saw the term used in a wholesale warehouse over 40 years ago.
I am sure you are correct David. The city would now, if the term was still used, be somewhere in the sub-continent. :eek:

Hi STICHER
Thats a very classic photograph of the bus i wondered whethe the number 11 bus was operational in those days
could it had been a different number all those years ago
that bus stop is just passing the Hazewell pub in kings heath after coming up from the pershore road a you say its coming from
cotteridge up to kings heath it,s self
that paricular bus is at outside the lady magdala church where my mother had her burial sevice taken there at a short notice
and acros the road those parade of shops are still there the same number of shops and the junction
on the grass verge to the right of the picyure is of course reeves road kings heath my brother still lives down there and as done for
centuries , he married a local girl of kings heath
best wishes Astonian,,,, Alan,,

Alan, The Outer Circle bus route was completed in April 1926. Previously it had been run in two parts as the nos. 10 and 11. The original no. 11 ran Acocks Green-Yardley-Erdington in January 1923 extended and diverted at various dates reaching Kings Head (via Perry Barr) in 1925 and finally reaching Kings Heath (round the south side of the city) in 1926 when it was joined to the no 10 Kings Heath-Selly Oak- Kings Head (originally started running in January 1923) and they dropped the no. 10 as a separate service

Hi david
Nice to hear from you again, and thanks for that valuable information i never really knew the history of the eleven
but when we left Aston the local kids i met up with was born aroundon that ciruit
and what they used to do on every sunday afternoon was to asked there parents for a tanner ,, 6d old money
as you would recall eh,
And they would travel around the out circle and to me coming from the pitts of lichfield road asked me if i would like to join
them , meaning there little gang really and so i did , i was amazed at some of the areas with tre lines
Country look i thought it was great and seeing a prison for the first time in my life, i thought it was great
every sunday they would alterate the way and then go the other way around on every other sunday
after awhile they took me on the circle number eight all the way around and like wise every other sunday the reverse way
that cost 3d for childs fare we would whatch for the two front seats to be empty by the grown ups and dash to it when they got up and got off
then the next craze was getting myself another tanner from mother ,some times she had some time she never had it
and that was to go to the botanicle gardend harborne as itwas a tanner to get in
we would walk around chase a peacock and scoure for empty pop bottles the posh familys left on the grass
we wold pick them up and take them to the shop for 3d or the tanner what ever it wasto get an ice cream
then shangies pony down from the ivy bush pub and walk down home and get up to mischiefe and cheek some body
and they would chas e down the monument road i used to run down the pathe by the number eight clock in
down onto the cannal and get out back on ledsam street
but any way dave thanks for that valuable bit of history and giving me the knowledge best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Old-farm-Inn1.jpg

Old-Farm-Inn3.jpg
Two of the same building from slightly different angles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stitcher, that one of the few still recognisable views of the city left isn't it? I've been trying to work out what's in the background - chimneys? A tower?

Hello Lady Penelope, I am sorry it is not a better image but I thought it was interesting so I posted it. I used most of the better images from my stash over the last few years. Perhaps someone like Mike with all of his knowledge and maps can help.

Sorry A Sparks, didn't make myself clear. I meant right in the distance following the road down it's the buildings in the middle of the picture.

Thanks everyone, it's a really good picture Stitcher - I only spotted the first response from A Sparks hence my last post. That'll teach me to check for other posts before I respond. It all makes sense now.

3613016-cannon-hill-park-bo.jpg
I was born quite close to the Gospel Oak o it was quite easy to get to this park when I was a youngster. Mom used to pack a picnic, we would have a few hours rowing while dad did a spot of fishing. Dad used to buy the canes and all the metal bits and make his own rods the try them out at the park before going serious fishing with them.

Back