• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Redland Terrace, Herbert Road

jrogerd

Brummie babby
Hi,
Does anybody know where Redland Terrace was - evidently off Herbert Road, Aston? My wife's grandfather lived there in 1912 - his first wife died there.
Many thanks

nice map mike and although all the old houses have long gone there is a nice looking church still standing..street view below

Thank you for that too. Before the war (WW1) he was a cycle machinist, and after the war he was employed (or laid off!) by the Abingdon (Abington?) works in Tyseley. Do you know whether that would have been the likeliest place for him to have worked pre-war too?
Many thanks for any help you can give!

From Kellys directory 1921
Abingdon Works Limited, manufacturers of the celebrated "King Dick'' cycle fittings, tricycle axles, spanners, " Ecco" brakes, lubricators &c. ; motor cycles, motor car parts made to order. All work on the interchangeable system ; made of the best material & workmanship guaranteed mathematically correct, King's road, Tyseley, Acock's Green

They were also there in 1912. Some firms in WW1 guaranteed males who went to war that they would have jobs after the war (meaning women who worked over the war usually got the sack) but many did not, so I think that without any evidence it is impossible to know whether he worked there before. There were many cycle and accessory manufacturers around both pre and post war

That's helpful, too, thanks again. The 1921 Census has this about him:
Occupation: Automatic Toolsetter (Motor) out of Work; Employer: Abington Works Tyseley, Birmingham
We had wondered how one could be out of work and have an employer!
His wife died in 1912 and he seems to have served in the Lancs Fusiliers - another puzzle, as they seem to have recruited 10 miles to the north! - before returning to Birmingham and marrying again in 1919.

I was sure I read that if you were unemployed you had to put the name of your last employer but I can't find where I read that now.

Looking at it again: "...if at present out of work [state the name] of last employer, adding 'out of work'."
That's what you thought, indeed

Back